Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Mendo SBA festivus  (Read 5885 times)

Davey Jones

Thanks to the people that put on the Mendocino gig. Alot of people and since it was my first yak trip of the year, Thanks. Won't say more, but some people have to post, dam all those fish and no post yet?

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I am sure others will chime in, but all in all it was an EPIC weekend.  About 15 yaks showed up, and and 4 yakkers made it to the top ten in the derby, with Mooch being 4th...just a few ounces out of 3rd.  I fished Fri and Sat. and zero'd both days, but really enjoyed watching everyone get into fish. 

We had a super fun potluck the night of the derby as well.  As usual tons of food, we had abalone, tri-tip, shrimp, chicken, and of course STRIPER!  Guitarzan played awesome tunes for part of the night...plain awesome!

Friday was a smaller crowd, but  Mickfish smacked this nice 10# unit...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 05:16:02 PM by scwafish »

gotbaitgofish

• gotbaitgofish
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
got saltwater

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
It was a great weekend and even though this made me 0-4 at Mendo for stipers it was still a great weekend. Mooch made the kayakers proud with a nice healthy 9 lb 4oz fish. Only beaten by a pair of 9 lb 10oz fish and one 10lb 6oz fish. Guitarzan had a solid 9lb'er I did not catch Bob's fish weight.

The White family was amazing for not only letting me and my family crash at his place all weekend but for putting on a mean pot-luck Saturda night. I will fill in more details later I am a bit fried after the drive home.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Great weekend! Kayaks out in force. Many thanx to Scwafish and family for a fine evening and great food - wonderful family, truly a rich man. Im hooked on the mendo striper now, and its only 100 miles away. I placed 6th in the turny, with a 9 lber, but on sunday, I landed one that would have won it. Maybe... Mooch would have probably betterd me though. Anita loved the weekend also, had tons of fun and was more than a bit amused by Mooches apron! Sorry, dont think this website is the right forum for THAT pic! Ben
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
The standings.
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
I sure do miss you guys.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
3 of the winners
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
I sure do miss you guys.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
I sure do miss you guys.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
Sundays monster
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
I sure do miss you guys.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Thanks again Sean for letting us know about the Tourney, and thank Leah for having all of us over for such a good time. To use the new catch phrase all the food was "off the hook" :smt038. Again I am amazed by the great people this site brings together,great to see you all again nice to meet the NKGs.
If you haven't been to Mendo with the water up go now the lake is full, very beautiful and the spring weather NICE :toothy4:.

JD and I got there about 8am on Friday looked at the lake from the launch and the first thing we saw were Stripers busting all over the place and Fishhunter trolling back and forth across the Island, we rushed to get bait and couldn't tie the hooks on fast enough. After launching we saw Sean and a few other kayaks. The fish would bust we would paddle towards them never really got into a bust as we would have liked. Sean sent Fishhunter towards the island and he got some newbie love and landed and released a nice 28"fish Nice Job Adam.I followed Sean and JD around and listened to their reports on how deep the fish and water were as I am "Blue Kayak Impaired" I would slow my speed when the water and fish were deeper and picked it up when they were shallow, I was rewarded by a fat 29"fish :fishing1. We trolled around for a few more hours Nada as we were paddling in we saw a huge bust all the way across the lake we sped across as soon as we got there it was gone and Sean said see you later I gotta go get some WAF. I trolled in hugging the buoys and was rewarded with another nice fish in the 28-29 10lb range. I felt great about fishing in the tourney the next day.

Ha I was fooled again :smt013 I trolled and cast my ass off Sat got one short drive by that was it.Saw a ton of busts some right behind my boat Nada!
I think the totals for the day were Adam 2 fish 1 early 1 late, Joel 1, Juan 1, Ben 1 and Bob 1. 13 fish caught in the tourney out of 65 fishermen we caught 4 of the 13 all which were in the top 10. Adam didn't enter he was just fishing for fun and outfished us all. Thanks to the SBA for the great tourney, lunch and raffle. I think all the NCKAnglers that bought tickets won some prizes, I won a nice rod. After lunch we had a Siesta and then had a great time at Casa Blanco to Celebrate Cinco De Mendo.

After a late start Sun Joel, John and I set out again toward crappie Cove as soon as I entered the cove both my rods went off I grabbed 1 set the hook backed off the drag put back in the holder and grabbed the other and landed a smaller 25" fish which fought great spitting shad all over, the other fish got off. We chased a couple of more bust for nada then trolled towards the dam bout half way JD hooked up with a nice fat female fish 2 minutes later my rod got buried as soon as I grabbed it it came off. Ben paddled out to meet us and got a nice 28"fish on the way out. Trolled till about 1 and called it a day. Ben's fiancee Anita was waiting for us back at the launch,all weekend  we were all teasing her with  "Anita fish" Anita Break" Anita Kayak" as you can figure the variations are endless. Anyway Joel showed her his apron and I think "Anita &$#@##" I know Joel was happy :smt007, pictures to follow.

Anyway Thanks everyone I had a Great Time can't wait to do it again, I think Bendo@Mendo II will be unbelievable. Thanks for the ride JD.
Kudos to Adam and Ben Newbie Love at it's finest 5 fish beetween them out of 11 or 12 fish caught Great Job Honey Moon is over.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 07:40:42 PM by mickfish »
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
NCKAs calender girls, Anita and Michelle, AND they fish!
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
I sure do miss you guys.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
I sure do miss you guys.

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Sean must be beside himself having the kayak crowd show so well.  Congrats Mooch et al........... :smt023
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
Allmost forgot to measure todays fish- just shy of 30".
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
I sure do miss you guys.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong