Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: DIY dodger  (Read 4824 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
The copper version worked but I lost the second one when I got into a rocky area on a bumpy day. Since I was out of copper, I decided to try a different kind of metal tube. I tried it out today and did hook a decent halibut and a couple of rockfish on a super-slow day (fish survey people at the dock said it was the only halibut they'd hear of when I came in at 12:30).

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Since you already cannibalized your bicycle for your kayak* propulsion system, I suppose you had no use for the seat tube.   I was betting the metal you used was part of a wheel rim.  I'll be sure to watch my bike carefully when you're around.

Tall-Tails

Love your style! In my bored moments, I love cruising the garage looking for useless bits I can give a second life somehow. I understand I inherited the trait from my grandfather, who couldn’t leave anything alone. He “zeked” everything he owned practically, custom hats, fishing rods, you name it!

Glad the revived seat post had some usefulness left in it that you where are to bring back to life

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Dig the DIY flasher NWM.  My little glowing friend... maybe ?   Im not sure ?   :smt001
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Since you already cannibalized your bicycle for your kayak* propulsion system, I suppose you had no use for the seat tube.   I was betting the metal you used was part of a wheel rim.  I'll be sure to watch my bike carefully when you're around.

It was a spare. But I do have to admit that the seat tube in my son's $1200 mountain bike looks like it would make the most perfect dodger ever...

Tall-Tails

Ok NWM, how’d I do?
I couldn’t find any spinning cone flashers at my local tackle shop (Dicks) so I made my own out of PVC from a worn out Clam Tube.

Hope it nabs me a halibut on the next outing
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:38:03 PM by Mother lode »

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
You might try plexiglass type material 1/8th thickness for dodger forms. The type used for framed paintings manipulates well.  Use a heat gun to make the bends. I once made a bunch of the large size flashers with green or red edges and shiny tapes. You can run SS wire down the center and tape over and use the wire to form connection points. If the plastic ever breaks with the big one on, the wire will save the day.
Charles

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Ok NWM, how’d I do?
I couldn’t find any spinning cone flashers at my local tackle shop (Dicks) so I made my own out of PVC from a worn out Clam Tube.

Hope it nabs me a halibut on the next outing

Looks really good. Let us know how it works out.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
You might try plexiglass type material 1/8th thickness for dodger forms. The type used for framed paintings manipulates well.  Use a heat gun to make the bends. I once made a bunch of the large size flashers with green or red edges and shiny tapes. You can run SS wire down the center and tape over and use the wire to form connection points. If the plastic ever breaks with the big one on, the wire will save the day.

That's a great idea, especially with the wire down the center.

But for now, I'm kind of hooked on lightweight metals. The seatpost dodger produces good action, and doesn't seem to snag as easily as any others that I've used.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I just wanted to mention that my bike-seatpost-dodger is still going strong and has been performing like a champ. I've been out 10 times trolling with it, and it's produced at least one halibut 9 of those times. I'm still looking for that 40+ inch (preferably, 50, ha ha!) fish, though...

And, the best part is that it has been remarkably easy to free from snags. I think it's ideal for rockier areas.

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
 9/10 is a pretty impressive halibut catch record  :smt001

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
It was a sad day last Friday when I lost my bike-seatpost dodger. Conditions were pretty rough at the time, and I was in a rocky area. IMHO, that one was near perfect, as it survived a ton of snag infested fishing.

In comparison, I'd say the heavier copper is probably preferable over sandy bottoms, as it will surely get down to the bottom and create a ruckus. But, in rocky places, the bike seatpost ruled!

I tried making a new seatpost-dodger, only to discover that not all seatposts are created equal. I found 2 more unused seatposts around the homestead, one of which I could not flatten. The other was extremely difficult to flatten, and then it tore when I tried to make fine bends at the edges.

I'm not sure what to try next, as I'm out of seatposts. I think I'll make a run to the metal supply store and look in their scrap bin for inspiration...

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
sorry for your loss. RIP seat post dodger 1

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I gotta try making one of these. Do you have a favorite supplier for reflective tape?
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I gotta try making one of these. Do you have a favorite supplier for reflective tape?

I ordered directly from the source:

http://www.wtp-inc.com/