Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Salmon jigs  (Read 1047 times)

scooter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
With salmon starting to show up in the river systems i poured up a bunch of 2 3 and 4 oz jigs and am going to try to get out and get a few with the kayak.

I wanted to clarify and verify what I believe to read in the reg book

according to what I read if I am upstream of highway 50 bridge I believe any jig or spinner (non buoyant) over 1 oz in weight must have a single hook not a treble and the maximum gap on that hook would be 1".

Downstream of highway 50 bridge I would be considered in the delta area and could use a treble hook if I choose but maximum gap on treble hook would be 3/4" or single hook with 1" maximum gap.

I hoping there are some on here who could verify what I read in the reg book and also any advice or opinion  on hook style, size, ect would be appreciated

cal.ndn-yakin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Yep thats right.  All them fine looking jigs must have a single hook up above the bridge. I been thinking of jigging some up myself. I see you live down the road from me. 1/0 or 2/0 is what i would use.  Good luck and might see you out there.   

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
For what it's worth, I'd recommend going with a single siwash hook whether trebles are allowed where you're fishing or not. You'll snag a lot less (both fish and rocks/stumps/brush piles) and still hook up just fine when you get bit. Something like a 3/0 or 4/0 Mustad Stainless Steel Open Eye Siwash should do the trick. (I like big hooks for salmon).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I ordered up some in a 3/0 siwash. Thank you for the advice I like the singles for rockfish also. It seems like it is easier to shake s single hook lose if on a rock. Seems like the majority of siwash hooks are sold in an
Open eye.  It must be a common style. I would assume I would still be better off with a split ring to give the hook more pivot and twist than to put the hook right to the jig ? Has anyone ever had the eye open back up?

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I use a lot of those Mustad SS open eye siwash, and I've never had one fail. (I use them on my rockfish jigs, and salmon spoons/jigs, etc). That's the only one I have much experience with.

(Keep the split ring on there so the hook can rotate a little)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything