Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: I read this on coastside this morning and want to share...GET BETTER LIGHTS!!!!!  (Read 2897 times)

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
This is from a private boater recaping the crab opener on 11/3 at HMB.  I'm not trying to start a fight here, but you guys need to be more careful.  Thankfully most people on this board are smart and aware, so its mostly for the newcomers. 

This boater barely saw a kayaker out in the channel (between the red and green buoys) because all he had on was a headlamp.  That morning at some point harbor patrol prevented kayakers without appropriate navigation lights to leave the harbor so this guy must have snuck out before that happened.  Not sure if everyone understands this but kayakers sit very low to the water and, if there is any swell at all, are very difficult to see.  It is best to have a light on at least a 7-8 foot pole visible from 360 degrees.  This is allow you to be seen even if there is a swell. 

Be safe out there and don't be stupid.

"We launched on opening day at 5am, turned around to a launch line out to the highway. Motored over to the slip and started baiting the pots and wait for day light. For opening day I had so and so and my wife's uncle on board. Baiting pots took 10 mins so we started to motor out and it was dark that morning. The weather man was spot on for 11/3 to be lumpy and uncomfortable. Slowly making our way out to the buoys I start to see a very dim spot lights...with each swell the spot light goes away, then comes back, then goes away but the light gets closer and it ends up being a kayaker with just a head lamp on. If you are reading this and fished 11/3 in your kayak with just a head lamp you should really think twice about being on the water. You need navigation lights if you plan to drift in the channel on your kayak in the dark, stop being an idiot. I could have killed you that day, use your head guys, and I was running very slowly (rant over). "

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
The minimum requirement for kayaks and canoes (whether paddling or adrift) conforms with U.S. Coast Guard Rules for a "vessel under oars" requiring "an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision."

It seems he met the requirement.  His light was exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.

That being said, I hope that guy gets a brighter light.

-Allen

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Oh hey this argument again.

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Hydrospider

Great reminder. Thanks for posting.

Thankfully most people on this board are smart and aware, so its mostly for the newcomers. 

I find this statement highly questionable.

It doesn't take much to hide a boat.  Even if the PB capt is alert and scanning it's likely that a paddle craft is obscured by chop/swell even in lit conditions.

The last picture is of Team Bridgeports Kraken sporting a "flag" for the ORC tourney.
A smart req for that tourney and something that the team should practice more often.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:02:12 PM by Hydrospider »

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Regardless who is right who is wrong, why chance it?  Survive to fish (and crab) another day.  Dark = bright light on long pole + buddies.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
It is best to have a light on at least a 7-8 foot pole visible from 360 degrees.  This is allow you to be seen even if there is a swell. 

Be safe out there and don't be stupid.

Great advice, but I've never seen a kayak light on an 8' pole. Anybody got pictures of something like that?

I sometimes launch out of the Santa Cruz harbor in total darkness, like the kind of darkness where I worry about crashing into a buoy. I've got a light on about a 4' pole and also wear a headlight, but don't really know how visible I am to boaters...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Hydrospider

Im not suggesting that this is a substitute for high viz lights, but we have used lit shaft rods for night ops and they do help us spot each other.

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
  • View Profile Knowledge is Power.
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Do it....

Run two. One in front. one rear on strobe setting.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:24:39 PM by MolonLabe916 »
Joe Mag. Green/black WS Radar 135.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Do it....

Run two. One in front. one rear on strobe setting.

Pretty cool, but I have a hard time seeing that holding up very long if used in saltwater.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I have two waterproof lights. Pic attached.

The one I use every dark launch (not often) is the orange one - USCG 161.012/36/0 by ACR Electronics, Inc, Fort Lauderdale, FL , P/N 3355, Pat#  5237491.   It uses AA batteries, is very light weight (4 oz), and has a bulbous lens on top that really magnifies the white light.   At least at the time I bought it, it was only legal to have a single white light or a white headlight or handheld light on a kayak.  It came with a 2 ft pole, but I removed the pole and attach it to the end of my spare fishing pole with the cord/slider and also the Velcro strap.  Since the top of the pole is flexible, it bobs around up there pretty well which I think makes it more effective.
   But if there is serious boat traffic, I also use the yellow one.  It's a waterproof strobe light.  It just says "Coghlan's" on it.  It came with both a red and a yellow lens to use in place of the white.  It uses 4 AAA batteries, and I added some Velcro and paracord to attach it to the extra rod tip. It weighs 6 oz.  It is really bright, but it might be technically illegal, or or at least, not USCG approved.  But I'd have to be alive to get a citation, right?
     Of course, I also use a headlamp just to see what I'm doing.

Swagdog

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
Thanks for the suggestions on setups!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:13:24 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
For dark launches, the middle light goes on the bow and the two little ones mount to the side handles facing out.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
For dark launches, the middle light goes on the bow and the two little ones mount to the side handles facing out.

I’m not a big fan of running red and green. The regs state white lights for kayaks. If you look like a power boat you will he expected to behave like one.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I came across this today and thought about this thread and another one brought up around the same time. If I havent already made something like this I would buy this my self and not bad price. Make ur self visible guys!
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

anything