Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:03:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Laguna Creek  (Read 2086 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
My favorite fishing expedition in the Santa Cruz area is to launch at 4-mile beach and land at the harbor., which is about 8 miles (minimum) by kayak. Actually, I've only done that once, as it's hard to get someone to shuttle my car to the harbor (I only made it work when my kids owed me a big favor).

Since it's winter and there's not much to do fishing-wise, I was daydreaming about possible adventures for next summer. It seems like it might be good to start a couple miles farther up the coast from SC and make the one-way trip to the harbor. Lo and behold, Laguna Creek is about 2 miles beyond 4-mile beach. There's a good-sized beach at the mouth of Laguna Creek with decent access, as it's part of Coast Dairies State Park. As an added bonus, it's said to be "clothing optional", so I can fulfill my dream of nude kayak fishing (maybe a new version of "Naked and Afraid" in the making...).

Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody ever launches from Laguna Creek, as I've never seen it mentioned on the board here. I stopped by the other day, and under the right conditions, it looks like it would be comparable to launching at 4-mile (which I've only done a couple of times, and under ideal conditions). My fantasy (well, other than the nude kayaking thing) is to launch my AI at Laguna Creek and fish/sail my way to the SC harbor. That would be about 10 miles minimum, and probably more like 12+. To me, that would be way more fun than the usual out-and-back kayaking. Of course, getting the AI to the launch would be a big chore, but that's what kids are for...

One more thing... Laguna Creek apparently holds a few steelhead. Here's an article that has an interesting little historical snippet on Laguna Creek
https://www.santacruzpl.org/history/articles/386/
and some (slightly more recent) info
http://www.cemar.org/ssrp/pdfs/SSRP_SantaCruz.pdf
and similar historical stuff is here
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.431.9090&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Here's something more recent---a detailed report from 2010:
http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/home/showdocument?id=68224
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

mdoka_matt

• Sea Lion
  • Its happening like Soledad
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Ive done this (and similar trips) several times.  Its a great run with plenty of productive reefs. PISCEAN and I once did 4mile to Capitola. That was fun, but exhausting and a bit too far. Davenport to 4mile is another great option we have done several times.  One thing worth noting,  Sometimes the current and/or wind conditions flow against your intended direction of travel. We once set off from 4mile with intentions on trolling back to the harbor. We got out to depth, and began trolling.  After about two hours of steady paddling/peddling effort, we had made virtually no forward progress. We were just trolling in place against the current.  For this reason, we always stage a vehicle at both points.  This was we have the option to land at either location.

Shuttle trips are one of my favorite expeditions! Id be happy to meet up for some shuttle trips this season  :smt001 

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=48452.msg538778#msg538778

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=61967.0
2010 T-13   Sand                    
2011 T-13   Yellow
2012 Hobie Adventure Dune

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
That sounds awesome. I've daydreamed about doing the Linda Mar to HMB run, which I think would be about 16 miles if you went around the Montara SMR, and a good bit less if you cut through it.

I guess if you shuttle with two vehicles they both have to be able to carry both kayaks, which would be difficult with AIs.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Team Sport for Sure
Wish I could join in the fun

The current and wind nearshore vs. offshore can differ greatly along that stretch... time of day, time of year
Not to mention the swell (if any) refracting back from the beach

I look forward to the report
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I guess if you shuttle with two vehicles they both have to be able to carry both kayaks, which would be difficult with AIs.

Yes, that's a problem with the AI. But it sure would be great fun to be out there with the full AI setup. I've only done the 4-mile to harbor run in Adventure mode (i.e., no amas or sail).
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
One thing worth noting,  Sometimes the current and/or wind conditions flow against your intended direction of travel.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=61967.0

Yes, I could imagine that the weather/current might not want to cooperate. But, generally in the summer, the afternoon winds would be favorable, provided the wind doesn't decide to really blow...

And that's pretty cool that you went out in winter to do some underwater filming---might have to give that a try.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I haven't been down to lagunas in years, but I recall the trail to the beach was pretty rugged (like too rugged for a cart) back then. If it has been improved maybe....
funny thing is I live right on the lagunas creek watershed, only about 2000 feet above the beach :smt005
I always wanted to hit 5mile, but the security guys and Zoltan were too much hassle.

I think Lingterrorist used to launch thereabouts, maybe 3 mile.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.