Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:23:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:02:47 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Do new Cobra Explorers have scupper holes near seat?  (Read 6665 times)

researcher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I rented an Explorer this weekend and paddled it at Del Valle. After some water splashed into the seat area, it retained all the water under my butt and I had a miserable, wet ride since the water had no place to go  :smt013

Do any of you know if Cobra has changed their design, and possibly added scupper holes to the seat area for 2006 or 2007?

I'm not sure what year model the Explorer I rented was. It looked pretty new though.

This coming weekend, I'm test paddling an Ocean Kayak Caper. It has scupper holes by the seat so I imagine water won't be retained in that area.

Thanks for any info...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:59:36 PM by researcher »

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I believe the caper sits even lower than the Explorer. The Explorer was my first kayak - I actually thought it sat high and dry. I honestly don't remember if there were scupper holes by the seat - it was a long time ago. Sean / Scwafish would be the person to ask (he sell's 'em).

researcher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for the reply Mooch. I'll PM Scwafish

I too thought the Explorer sat high and dry, at least until....
A powerboat whizzed nearby while I was resting near the shore (kayak was resting at the edge of the lake)
I wasn't paying attention and the wake caused a good amount of water to shoot over the side of my Explorer and into the seat/foot area.

The feet are drained quickly via the scupper holes near that area, but the seat area stayed wet

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I paddle with a sponge under my seat for just such weird moments.  I can grab it instantly and sop up whatever I want to get rid of.  I then tuck it safely and inconspiculously back under my seat.
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
These boats remain un-scuppered in the seat.  Not my favoirte small yak by quite a margin.

researcher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Seabreeze:
Good suggestion, thank you.  They guys at Sunrise Mtn Sports suggested the same thing.
Hmm, if the seat area in the caper ends up being a wet ride (despite having scupper holes there) I will use your idea.

scwafish:
Thanks for your replies and info on the new Explorer not having scupper holes. Much appreciated

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I have two small kayaks... a OK Caper and a Cobra Navigator.  I prefer the Navigator under most conditions as it is a much drier ride and a bit faster to paddle (Well that and it came with a center hatch and 4 rod holders).  Basically, it's a mini-Marauder.  However, when I'm launching in rough surf, I find that I'm more comfortable in the Caper.  The OK plastic is a bit softer than the Cobra and thus a bit more forgiving when you start doing cart wheels in the surf.   The Caper, despite it's scupper holes is a wetter ride primarily because you sit so low.  But in surf conditions where you're going to get wet anyway, the added seat scupper holes actually do help drain the water out a bit.

My personal theory on purchasing a kayak is similar to my theory about buying airline tickets.  If all you know is coach, you don't mind so much.  But once you fly first class, you can never go back to coach.  In other words, if size, weight, and/or price are a concern which requires you to buy a smaller kayak.. do it.  But don't even think about trying out a more expensive kayak like a Marauder before hand or even afterwards, because you won't be able to go back.  To this day, I've never paddled a Maurader, Prowler, Tarpon, etc..  I did test out Sean's Dodo once (fiberglass kayak from South Africa), but that thing is in a league of it's own.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

researcher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Great feedback Brian, thanks!

I've paddled some of the longer Hobies (Adventure & Quest) and I know what you mean.
I really really enjoyed paddling the Adventure to the dam and back at Del Valle, man that thing hauled a$$

I'm looking forward to this Saturday's Caper test, but to be honest I'm now thinking of test paddling a Revolution.
I just gotta find someone who rents 'em around Livermore area

scubamike1974

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I paddled several boats at Paddlefest and if any of you where there on Saturday afternoon you know that it was really choppy out there. I have to say that of all the boats I paddled, the Cobra Marauder XF was the dryest by far. It also seemed to "cut" through the waves as the other boats like the Prowler 15 plowed through and sent a wall of water my way leaving my butt soaked. I say that if you are going to spend the money...do it once and get what you feel is the best rather than wish you had a nicer boat. Also the storage on the Marauder is unbelievable. The only down side I have heard of is that your feet can be a little cramped, but for me I have a size 8.5 foot so its no trouble here.

~Michael