Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:03:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak Fishing ettiequte & standards of conduct | what are your thoughts?  (Read 5327 times)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
You might include a discussion of launch site etiquette, addressing issues such as not hogging and blocking a launch ramp with your vehicle for an extended period of time while you putter around loading gear on or off your kayak.  Instead, when launching, put your kayak on a cart in the parking lot, load on all your gear, and then roll it down the side of the ramp, get your kayak into the water, and get out of the way of other ramp users.  Do the reverse when leaving the water. 

I have been in situations where there was a long line of motorboats waiting to use a ramp, and they got irritated when kayakers were coming out of the parking area and launching kayaks off carts on the side of the ramp.  They seemed to feel that the kayakers were jumping the line.  Any suggestions for polite ways to deal with issues like that would be appreciated.

What is the etiquette on this? This happened to me at Oyster point early one morning, but I loaded my kayak in the parking lot and launched really quickly in between one car leaving the ramp and the next about to pull in. Probably launched in 30-45 seconds so I don't think I inconvenienced anybody.

This sort of reminds me of bicyclists running stop signs.

-Allen

There’s nothing wrong with either one. Kayaks that don’t disrupt the flow at the launch shouldn’t bother anyone, and bicycles running stop signs where safe to do so is safer for the bicyclist and the flow of motor vehicle traffic.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
You might include a discussion of launch site etiquette, addressing issues such as not hogging and blocking a launch ramp with your vehicle for an extended period of time while you putter around loading gear on or off your kayak.  Instead, when launching, put your kayak on a cart in the parking lot, load on all your gear, and then roll it down the side of the ramp, get your kayak into the water, and get out of the way of other ramp users.  Do the reverse when leaving the water. 

I have been in situations where there was a long line of motorboats waiting to use a ramp, and they got irritated when kayakers were coming out of the parking area and launching kayaks off carts on the side of the ramp.  They seemed to feel that the kayakers were jumping the line.  Any suggestions for polite ways to deal with issues like that would be appreciated.

What is the etiquette on this? This happened to me at Oyster point early one morning, but I loaded my kayak in the parking lot and launched really quickly in between one car leaving the ramp and the next about to pull in. Probably launched in 30-45 seconds so I don't think I inconvenienced anybody.

-Allen

There’s nothing wrong with either one. Kayaks that don’t disrupt the flow at the launch shouldn’t bother anyone, and bicycles running stop signs where safe to do so is safer for the bicyclist and the flow of motor vehicle traffic.

Put aside for a second that bicyclists should follow the rules of the road, the issue arise in that it is subjective whether is the flow at the launch ramp is disruptive or bothersome.  How long is disruptive?  1 minute?  1 second?

-Allen

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

-Allen

Put aside for a second that bicyclists should follow the rules of the road, the issue arise in that it is subjective whether is the flow at the launch ramp is disruptive or bothersome.  How long is disruptive?  1 minute?  1 second?

-Allen

Idaho Stops are a thing and gaining momentum in several states.

No disruption to the ramp means exactly that.  No disruption.  Each ramp is a little different, but often there is a window when the truck pulls the trailer out while the boat is tied up at the dock.  Launch as soon as the truck leaves and before the next one backs down.  Takes less than a minute and doesn't disrupt anybody.  If a boater is taking too long on the ramp, unhooking chains putting out bumpers etc., I'll jump in front of them too.  I'm not the one disrupting flow, they are.  You've got to pick your spots.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
share the lane  :smt008

pdsosa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Thanks for starting the conversation TLA. I've been pondering the boat launch etiquette question for a while and trying to sort out what's appropriate. I don't use them often nor do I have any PB friends to ask. I did a launch at Miller Park last year and it felt "weird" to wait in a long line of 15 cars to launch the yak, so I parked, set up gear, rolled down to the launch, and set in off the dock. Felt like it was appropriate, but also didn't want to unknowingly piss anyone off based on unwritten rules of launching etiquette. Happy to hear some info on the general launch rules. Also, just want to mention that this thread is a good reminder that we are all stewards of the hobby, lifestyle, sport, etc. and should do our best to represent the community every time we are out.
"Passion led, full steam ahead, to a destination free of what's been said"

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019

-Allen

-Allen

No disruption to the ramp means exactly that.  No disruption.  Each ramp is a little different, but often there is a window when the truck pulls the trailer out while the boat is tied up at the dock.  Launch as soon as the truck leaves and before the next one backs down.  Takes less than a minute and doesn't disrupt anybody.  If a boater is taking too long on the ramp, unhooking chains putting out bumpers etc., I'll jump in front of them too.  I'm not the one disrupting flow, they are.  You've got to pick your spots.

Im pretty sure the ramp at OP is for people who pay to use the ramp, Kayaks are asked to use the wind surfing/portage area launch.  I'd be more inclined to see it the way you're describing if it wasn't a paid use ramp. (some people also have annual memberships and just roll up and launch without needing to stage or pay or anything).
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Thanks for starting the conversation TLA. I've been pondering the boat launch etiquette question for a while and trying to sort out what's appropriate. I don't use them often nor do I have any PB friends to ask. I did a launch at Miller Park last year and it felt "weird" to wait in a long line of 15 cars to launch the yak, so I parked, set up gear, rolled down to the launch, and set in off the dock. Felt like it was appropriate, but also didn't want to unknowingly piss anyone off based on unwritten rules of launching etiquette. Happy to hear some info on the general launch rules. Also, just want to mention that this thread is a good reminder that we are all stewards of the hobby, lifestyle, sport, etc. and should do our best to represent the community every time we are out.

+1

polepole

• Administrator

-Allen

-Allen

I understand what you're saying, Doug.  But it's still subjective.  To me, that's not etiquette, which is more "established norms" vs. "perceived norms".  I don't necessarily disagree with you, but can see how some boaters may.

-Allen

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018

Please let me know what I should include in the article! Let me start with a few:
1) Be quiet and mindful in the early hours when loading up for the day
2) Leave the area off better when you arrived. At a minimum clean up your own trash and other trash if you can.
3) Always assist with a rescue if there is a distress signal being sent (Do what you can!)

Let me know your thoughts. I like to write something up for the blog and magazine.

Tight lines,
TLA

As far as entering and exiting the water, always have your kayak ready to be put in the water prior to getting to the dock and when leaving have your kayak ready for a quick removal if using a dock.  Having wheels helps.  (Especially if the dock is busy).  If the dock isn't being used then do what is easiest for you.

While on the water, keep your head on a swivel if the area has a lot of boat traffic and do not try to cut in front of a boat. 

I would say use common sense while on the water and don't be a jerk.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
You may feel that you aren't disrupting the flow of boat launches if you jump in front of somebody who is "taking too long on the ramp," but if there are several motorboaters in line behind that boater, they may feel that you are cutting in front of them in line.  Particularly if you plop yourself down right in the middle of the ramp, and would keep the next motorboater from moving  down to the water. On the other hand, if there is space on the side of the ramp next to whoever is loading or unloading a motorboat where you can get your kayak onto or off of your cart, and you aren't interfering with the flow of motorboat traffic, the people in line are less likely to get disgruntled. 

Daveyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
In the scenario of sneaking in between when a truck is pulling away, but their boat is still tied up in the way, it never hurts to just mention to the guy staged next in line if he's ok with you slipping through real quickly and will be gone before the guy parks and returns for his boat. This can be done as the first guy is still backing in or tying his boat up. Then do your part to get to the side and hustle.
1987 - Fastest Sperm Competition, 1st place

polepole

• Administrator
You may feel that you aren't disrupting the flow of boat launches if you jump in front of somebody who is "taking too long on the ramp," but if there are several motorboaters in line behind that boater, they may feel that you are cutting in front of them in line.  Particularly if you plop yourself down right in the middle of the ramp, and would keep the next motorboater from moving  down to the water. On the other hand, if there is space on the side of the ramp next to whoever is loading or unloading a motorboat where you can get your kayak onto or off of your cart, and you aren't interfering with the flow of motorboat traffic, the people in line are less likely to get disgruntled.

Perhaps the "etiquette" is not a hard and fast rule, rather it is to be situationally aware of how your actions may be perceived and impact the perception of other kayak anglers.  This goes beyond the boat launch ...

-Allen

BeerNfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
To discourage all these noobs from strapping on a go pro and intentionally or unintentionally blowing up lesser known spots. Reassure them that they do not all need to be youtube fisherman, should keep their day jobs and that ethics/respect is more valuable than shares likes and subs. This is a free country (not as much now) and people can do what they want. As I have a right to speak up and voice my opinion how I feel about the matter. Especially if I see a person from the bay or Sacramento. Atleast advise them to lay off the go pro unless they want to deal with some of the lesser than nice locals. Now I feel more eyes on me then ever being in a kayak where Iauch at due to certian youtubers. Yeah bud you might be youTube famous, but also just as famous in a negative way. Maybe they just don't "get it" or haven't had a chance to see the bigger picture of what fishing is. It's not just a sport. Can't really teach that though.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Standards of conduct? hmm how about following regulation? or reading up on it. Obviously a certain person who should know the rules and preach it doesn't do it himself. Think he is above the regulation when salmon is aboard and fishing for halibut using a treble hook after lol...not mentioning any names but if you post it on YT and blast it to the world... I'm sure it set a bad example lol

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Reassure them that they do not all need to be youtube fisherman,
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005