Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:01:39 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Harpoons  (Read 2241 times)

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
After reading this post,  I'm more confused than ever.  Reminds me of the guy that said, "What part don't you understand. " about the fish and game regulations. 🤔🤔🤔

That was me & Crash, and this is probably the most controversial topic you're going to find in the regs, yet we have still come to a pretty confidant conclusion.  I was genuinely trying understand what part of the regs you needed help understanding but wasnt even able to get that.

The main thing i took away from this thread is that anything is legal if you don’t get caught.

That's my rationale leaving work early to fish ;P hahaha Thats the only time I will let it slide
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

Waywardmanini

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
That's for sure. That's why you hear, "Let the judge decide ." And then it depends on the game warden.  Is he a rookie or veteran.  Is he going by "letter of the law " or "spirit of the law"? Sometimes you ask two different wardens and get two different answers.  Oh well,  I just love to fish and do what's right. Tight lines, have fun and be safe.  :smt003 :smt006

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
After reading this post,  I'm more confused than ever.  Reminds me of the guy that said, "What part don't you understand. " about the fish and game regulations. 🤔🤔🤔

That was me & Crash, and this is probably the most controversial topic you're going to find in the regs, yet we have still come to a pretty confidant conclusion.  I was genuinely trying understand what part of the regs you needed help understanding but wasnt even able to get that.

The main thing i took away from this thread is that anything is legal if you don’t get caught.

Of course!  Its only illegal if you get caught! 
If you ain't first, you're last.

Fear58

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
New to kayak fishing and picked up a gaff. Is it particularly difficult to gaff a halibut? I've seen quite a few threads where people prefer a kage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Twopatch

• Salmon
  • I like my tea,in the harbor
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
Not hard,unless you have a short ,dull gaff. Best spot is just behind the head in the belly. Just try to relax,and not to panic.
We have the government, that our forefathers warned us about.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Now there you go applying logic again ...  Geez!

-Allen

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
New to kayak fishing and picked up a gaff. Is it particularly difficult to gaff a halibut? I've seen quite a few threads where people prefer a kage.

For California halibut, a normal gaff works well. Try to gaff the fish before it breaks the surface, as they tend to start berserking if the head comes out of the water. Also, have your game clip ready, and get the fish secured as soon as possible after gaffing. When gaffed, the fish will freeze for a bit, but eventually it'll wake up and it will be very angry about the hole that you just put in it...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Chacon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Not hard,unless you have a short ,dull gaff. Best spot is just behind the head in the belly. Just try to relax,and not to panic.

I have a short and dull gaff.. bought it on amazon for $13. I have landed 4 halibut with it so far, but have missed the first gaff attempt every single time, due to shortness and dullness. My advice, don't get a cheap gaff. I have a new 4' gaff coming in the mail. These fish freak out every time they get to the boat so I'd say a good gaff is pretty important. Or Harpoon... :smt002

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019

I always aim for the gill plate area where it connects to the main part of the top of head. Ive bled a few of them with a gaff shot that way. stones them too
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

anything