Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:20:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Harpoons  (Read 2239 times)

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
By buyers I meant the wholesalers not end consumers.
Charles

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
The commercial fleet is pretty much gaffing instead of netting anymore in that the buyers want a pristine scale look on the fish. Nets scrape scales badly.

Good stuff!  I would think consumers would rather have messed up scales than a hole in the flesh.  That's interesting.

These Folks are pros and hit em in the head with a "Salmon" gaff nearly everytime.
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
A discussion on coastside the other day indicated it was ok to gaff big salmon... I was surprised by this, then read this thread.  Not that I would ever gaff a salmon, but which is it? 

That is correct. You can’t free-gaff it but as long as it took a hook voluntarily you can gaff it to bring it on board.  Don’t try that in Oregon or Washington though.

Just make sure the gums are black and that it is not a silver salmon before gaffing.  :smt001
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
This is a salmon gaff. Stout wood, strong SS gaff bolted to the wood handle. In earlier years, 1950 into 1980 nets were mostly used for landing salmon. Back then a main market was New York. Fish, the larger ones that brought a premium price, were split in two, hence the term splitters,for bigger salmon, and smoked for lox or hard smoked. Size mattered more than appearance. Now most of the market in California is the fresh market, stores and restaurants and a shiny scaled fish is desired. Netting fish off a boat stern is faster than gaffing especially with two guys working the lines. Faster yet, if the fish was solidly lower jaw hooked, was to wrap the 80# mono leader twice around the hand and lift aboard. Much over 20# didn't qualify for this method. Speed was essential when a bite was on.
Charles

Waywardmanini

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
After reading this post,  I'm more confused than ever.  Reminds me of the guy that said, "What part don't you understand. " about the fish and game regulations. 🤔🤔🤔

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
This is a salmon gaff. Stout wood, strong SS gaff bolted to the wood handle. In earlier years, 1950 into 1980 nets were mostly used for landing salmon. Back then a main market was New York. Fish, the larger ones that brought a premium price, were split in two, hence the term splitters,for bigger salmon, and smoked for lox or hard smoked. Size mattered more than appearance. Now most of the market in California is the fresh market, stores and restaurants and a shiny scaled fish is desired. Netting fish off a boat stern is faster than gaffing especially with two guys working the lines. Faster yet, if the fish was solidly lower jaw hooked, was to wrap the 80# mono leader twice around the hand and lift aboard. Much over 20# didn't qualify for this method. Speed was essential when a bite was on.

Cool.  Thanks Charles!   :smt006

Chacon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
So they would have to literally catch you in the act of using the harpoon? Ive never had a game warden inspect my fish looking for the gaff wound. Carry both gaff and harpoon and If I got called out for having a harpoon, could say I was pacific halibut fishing right? CA regulations are such a joke. Who comes up with this stuff, and how do we fix it. Clearly voting and the government doesn't seem to be working.

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
So they would have to literally catch you in the act of using the harpoon? Ive never had a game warden inspect my fish looking for the gaff wound. Carry both gaff and harpoon and If I got called out for having a harpoon, could say I was pacific halibut fishing right? CA regulations are such a joke. Who comes up with this stuff, and how do we fix it. Clearly voting and the government doesn't seem to be working.

Do you really expect anyone to answer this?  You're basically saying you don't like the regs and you may want to break it and asking if it would be ok to do so.  You're a big boy, make your own decision at this point since they already answered your question about using a harpoon on anything besides a pac hali.  I'm also fairly sure your area doesn't have any pac hali so your great idea isn't that great.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:28:49 PM by SmokeOnTheWater »
If you ain't first, you're last.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Its kind of the honorable and ethical thing to do. I hope you don't fish for salmon with that attitude
A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end.

Chacon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Geez, don't have to be a dick about it.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
After reading this post,  I'm more confused than ever.  Reminds me of the guy that said, "What part don't you understand. " about the fish and game regulations. 🤔🤔🤔

That was me & Crash, and this is probably the most controversial topic you're going to find in the regs, yet we have still come to a pretty confidant conclusion.  I was genuinely trying understand what part of the regs you needed help understanding but wasnt even able to get that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:17:58 PM by christianbrat »
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Admins, please grant me ban rights.  I will do a holy flush and purge out most of the tards.  I'll even ban myself after I'm done.   :smt005

Make NCKA great again!   :smt044 :smt044
If you ain't first, you're last.

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Admins, please grant me ban rights.  I will do a holy flush and purge out most of the tards.  I'll even ban myself after I'm done.   :smt005

Make NCKA great again!   :smt044 :smt044

:smt005 :smt044

-Kiel
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

That was me & Crash, and this is probably the most controversial topic you're going to find in the regs, yet we have still come to a pretty confidant conclusion.  I was genuinely trying understand what part of the regs you needed help understanding but wasnt even able to get that.

The main thing i took away from this thread is that anything is legal if you don’t get caught.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb