Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:29:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Flying for Surf perch?  (Read 10233 times)

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
In my opinion, a 6 weight is only too small when you hook into a striper.  Then you will be bummed if that striper takes you for a ride a 6 weight can't handle.

Perch can be easily caught and landed on a 5 weight, but it is a matter of line weight, fly weight, and how far you can cast.  Most perch flies I throw have weight to them that is not fun to cast with a 5 weight through the surf.
Scott, that's funny, because I had the same thought:  While the fish may be a particular size, the critical piece of the puzzle isn't landing that fish, it's getting the fly way out and against the wind to where they are waiting for my fly. That means we need the V8, not the 4-banger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinker

It depends on the 6wt, doesn't it?  Most saltwater rods are quite a bit stronger than freshwater rods and their actions are designed to punch through the wind.

I own an Echo Boost 690-S (saltwater), and in my opinion, it's comparable to a 7/8wt freshwater rod, despite what Tim Rajeff printed on it, and it casts a 350 grain RIO Outbound Short integrated sink tip without a problem.

We have different surf-fishing conditions up here in Oregon and I'm not likely to hook into a striper from our beaches, so my opinion on suitable rods may be (most certainly will be) different than the opinions of folks in California.

But I'm thinking that if I'm having lots of fun catching rainbows with a 5wt in an area that also has silvers, and I hook and lose a silver, I'm not coming back the next day with an 9wt to fish for trout because trout aren't anywhere near as much fun to catch with an 9wt rod.

I like to use a rod suitable for the fish I'm trying to catch, not a rod for every fish that might be in the water.  Just saying.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:40:55 AM by Tinker »

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
  • View Profile Knowledge is Power.
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Yah the 5wt is definitely gonna be on the light side. Like these other guys said, if it's only perch you're catching, 5 is fine. But the best part about fishing in the surf is there are many different species that feed in and around the surf zone. Striper, halls, croakers (cali redfish), and if you are in the right place and time you can even get salmon and steelhead.

When I first started in the surf I was told to go no smaller than a 7wt. And I was told right. Some of those striper and halibut in the surf zone are pretty big and will take you for a ride. I use a redington voyant 10ft 7wt. It's fast action so it works well casting a sink/intermediate line. And I also use an echo SR 7wt for those long casts when I wanna get past the break zone to target bigger fish.

As far as flies go, small to medium size bait patterns with light lead eyes work well for everything. And of course the sand flea patterns work for pretty much everything also. If you're just looking for perch, tie some grub style patterns with some sparkle to it. I like using orange chenille for the body and orange saddle hackle spears for the tail. Or you can use the rubber leg for the tail also.

Joe Mag. Green/black WS Radar 135.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com

Mash

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I can't even catch surf perch on a spinning rod! But I joined the Santa Cruz Fly Fishermen club and they have an outing once a month where you can go out with some experienced guys and gals and learn. Good group of people.

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I can't even catch surf perch on a spinning rod! But I joined the Santa Cruz Fly Fishermen club and they have an outing once a month where you can go out with some experienced guys and gals and learn. Good group of people.

The surf is tricky to learn.  But once you can read the water, you up your percentage.  I'm still looking for my first striper in the surf after years of trying.  They just keep evading me!
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

Mash

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I heard they were getting striper in the surf at Manresa beach.

Zeus91

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
My go to spots for Perch and Stripers  is Seascape Beach or Beer Can beach. If you go under the wooden train bridge walk down about a mile to the left there is a nice about 100 yard hole with perch, the stripers are mainly hitting past the second break. Also if your closer to Santa Cruz Sunny Cove beach from 23rd-26th never fails me with perch. Nice fatties there. New to fishing Santa Cruz County but so far those have been my successful spots this year. Good luck out there.
I ain't as good as i once was, but I'm as good once as i ever was.

tgoff

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
I'm sure you know this already but this can become very addicting.

Flyaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Nice fish and flies!
I like a 6 for perch.   But my 6 cats as far as any rod.
But as stated earlier, you could tie into a 20lb striper.    You could land it but would wish for a heavier rod. 
That 2 hander is good for distance, mending and lifting line off water and iover incoming breakers. 

CatchMO

• Salmon
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
In addition to what ScottV said, keep the 5 weights for trout fishing. Its not fair to the fish to have to fight them so long through the surf.
Dont get me wrong, I like to fish with small stuff, but use tackle that is meant for the situation.

byunique

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2019
Ok, this thread is old, but trying to keep it alive :)

When I go out for perch, I take my 5 weight and these sort of flies I made which are trying to resemble sand crabs. Very few times I have been completely skunked and it's just good fun. Perch are a strong fish for their size. !I'm primarily fishing in the city at Baker Beach, where the surf isn't that far out. The good thing for perch is that you don't have to cast that far and often a 20 foot cast reaches most of the fish there. This is also assuming the surf is mellow that day. 2-4 feet. Any larger surf days, and it's just a lot harder wading and the fish are somewhere else.

A stripping basket is mandatory or some kind of container to catch all your line, otherwise the line will get easily wrapped around your feet.

I have yet to accidentally catch anything other than a perch on a 5 weight, but prey for me if a striper comes along... lol!

Brandon Yu
Blue Hobie Compass with teeth!

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019

When I go out for perch, I take my 5 weight and these sort of flies I made which are trying to resemble sand crabs. Very few times I have been completely skunked and it's just good fun. Perch are a strong fish for their size. !I'm primarily fishing in the city at Baker Beach, where the surf isn't that far out. The good thing for perch is that you don't have to cast that far and often a 20 foot cast reaches most of the fish there. This is also assuming the surf is mellow that day. 2-4 feet. Any larger surf days, and it's just a lot harder wading and the fish are somewhere else.

A stripping basket is mandatory or some kind of container to catch all your line, otherwise the line will get easily wrapped around your feet.

I have yet to accidentally catch anything other than a perch on a 5 weight, but prey for me if a striper comes along... lol!

Heyo Brandon! We should both probably be working, but im here for the thread! Do you use a 5wt 2 hand rod or single hand? i have a 9wt single hand i haven't taken into the surf yet but would like to give it a go...  What sort of line do you run? I just have an sink 3 on it
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

PURE ICE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Keep it alive! I just got my echo boost beach, beach boost? 8wt. Two hand over head rid and am stokeed!!!!!!@!@!!!@@!!!
Cant wait ti try it but to poor to get a line for it.... what to do what to do.  Maybe my 14 shooting head from my 8wt. ... any thoughts?  Granted this is for stripers and bycatch perch.  My perches rod is my 7 or 8wt. 10'ers single hand. 

byunique

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Heyo Brandon! We should both probably be working, but im here for the thread! Do you use a 5wt 2 hand rod or single hand? i have a 9wt single hand i haven't taken into the surf yet but would like to give it a go...  What sort of line do you run? I just have an sink 3 on it

It's a 5 weight single hand and I just prefer single hand for the double haul action I get to do. The line is sink 6, that along with the weighted fly it gets down fast. Oh, here's the fly picture I was supposed to add:

Brandon Yu

byunique

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Keep it alive! I just got my echo boost beach, beach boost? 8wt. Two hand over head rid and am stokeed!!!!!!@!@!!!@@!!!
Cant wait ti try it but to poor to get a line for it.... what to do what to do.  Maybe my 14 shooting head from my 8wt. ... any thoughts?  Granted this is for stripers and bycatch perch.  My perches rod is my 7 or 8wt. 10'ers single hand.

Curious to know how much better you like the two hand. Lines are expensive, but ya gotta pull the trigger :)
Brandon Yu