Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:51:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:26:01 PM]

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hydroskin or Paddle Jacket  (Read 1699 times)

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have never had a paddle jacket and was thinking of getting one, then I saw a hydroskin at a kayak shop in Petaluma. It looks nice, they have a 0.5 and 1.5 mm hydroskin.

https://www.nrs.com/product/15037.02/nrs-mens-hydroskin-15-jacket

Does anyone have a hydroskin? Any pros/cons between the hydroskin and paddle jacket?

I was thinking that the hydroskin would give you more warmth and less drag if you had to swim to shore for some reason.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
A good paddling jacket is waterproof and breathable. You can add layers underneath to match conditions.  All my paddling jackets have a hood to keep my head warm and dry if it rains.  The Hydroskin says its water repellent. If you get wet and its cold and windy, you wont be comfy.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks FishingAddict. I'll consider that and decide one of these days. It is nice to have a top available, I usually don't wear one over the farmer John 3mm.

I just wanted to let you know your old T-13 has served me well over the years and is still going strong! I am having a lot of fun on that kayak.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Loren, Its time for a Hobie :smt002
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Mel,

I keep hearing voices in my head that are telling me to go to the dark side. Something about a 2019 Outback :smt003 I need more room though because I don't want to get rid of the T-13. I have fished with guys that had a Hobie, it is nice to be hands free and able to hold your place over some nice structure with rockfish instead of having to pull up your line and grab the paddle to move back over the hot spot.

Tinker

A good paddling jacket is waterproof and breathable. You can add layers underneath to match conditions.  All my paddling jackets have a hood to keep my head warm and dry if it rains.  The Hydroskin says its water repellent. If you get wet and its cold and windy, you wont be comfy.

I own a Hydroskin and it definitely can get chilly when wet if the air is moving, and they don't have gaskets for your neck, wrists or the full-length zipper.  I use mine in the late Spring and early Fall when fishing on rivers and lakes, and wear it under a windbreaker/rain jacket.  It's good insulation.  The thing I like the least about it is it feels surprisingly restrictive around my shoulders if I need to paddle hard.

(Resist that urge!  I stepped up from a Hobie to a T13 and have never regretted it.)

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks Tinker,

I think the paddle jacket is the way to go. I might pick up the hydroskin on sale just to check it out. I'ts nice to have options. Layering is the way to go so you can adjust to be comfortable.

Off subject... I remember one post you made a while ago about having your FF attached to the mod pod on your T-13, that is the same thing I am doing after trying the sonar shield hatch. Do you run your wiring through the mod pod? Just curious.

I remember you went from a Hobie to a T-13. I will have to demo an outback some day just to see what they are like. I know one thing for sure, my legs are much stronger than my arms...but Hobie's are heavy. 

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I use hydro skin pants only
Primary reason is keep legs warm and dry during paddle.
(note I wear one size larger so not so tight)
Depending on expected conditions if I will wear a paddling jacket. Nice but neck seal bugs me. always have one in hatch if needed.
There is a light duty jacket that is fine vs heavy duty WW jacket
Its always the expected conditions for me on how to dress.
What are the conditions , temps and odds of you capsizing. Know your limits and conditions.
I have a dry suit but usually dont use except in winter

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Poulton,

Thanks for the input. I was kind of thinking I wouldn't like the seal around my neck but NRS has a jacket that has adjustable wrist and neck seals. I should go some place and try one on.

I usually wear a 3mm or 5mm farmer John. I wish NRS made a 5mm farmer John, I called and voiced my opinion but I doubt it will go anywhere. I'm not sure what a WW Jacket is but I'll be poking around and will probably see one.

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
The jacket with adj neck/ wrist seal is a light weight. Neck Seal sits higher and to me a very un comfy but easy on of.
WW jacket will have a true wrist / neck seal, harder to put on and remove. Plus care on seal is a must or you will tear it

If ever in Santa Cruz stop by the kayak store. He has full display of wet suits farmer john IN STOCK to try on. also has full rental stock they will let you try for size. Only place I know that stocks all sizes.

The choice comes down to the odds of you cap sizing your kayak. Higher the odds then go with WW jacket. Small chance then the light weight is ok.
If you take care of equipment then more options available for the WW style

You will probably end up with 3 different sets of paddling clothes. All depends on were you paddle and conditions. Layering is the name of the game. Know the materials. NO COTTON  cheers

anything