Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:13:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:08:34 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Regs question  (Read 1525 times)

Widgeon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Is it legal to fish with a sabiki rig if you also have rockfish gear on your boat? Second question, what if you have rockfish on your kayak....definately illegal to fish with sabiki at that point (even if you are not targeting rockfish) due to 2 hook reatriction?
3rd--- 2017 Albion Open

beerhunter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
yes its legal to fish with sabiki with rock fish gear on the boat.

after you have a rock fish you can only have 2 hooks so no sabiki unless its trimmed down to 2 hooks.

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

after you have a rock fish you can only have 2 hooks so no sabiki unless its trimmed down to 2 hooks.

+1 :smt045

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Well, technically, if you are targeting rockfish, you can only have 2 hook.  So even BEFORE you have a rockfish, if you are targeting them, you can only have 2 hooks.

-Allen

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010

Well, technically, if you are targeting rockfish, you can only have 2 hook.  So even BEFORE you have a rockfish, if you are targeting them, you can only have 2 hooks.

-Allen
If you just have a sabiki in the water you are targeting bait fish with a plan to later target rockfish. Can't use a sabiki while you are fishing for rockfish or if you have them on board. You can use the sabiki the day before you start fishing for rockfish even if you have a plan to fish for rockfish the next day, hour or minute. What the plan is after you put the sabiki away doesn't count.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

yup...beerhunter to the rescue :)

The other day I was out in SC fishing for halibut. So I had two rods out since you can have as many rod as you want when targeting halibut. I would get a RF or ling on the rod so I kept releasing all the RF/Ling so that way I can continue to use two rod. If I did keep a RF/Ling, then I would only be able to use one rod to target halibut.

So the next question would be...if I'm targeting halibut and using two rod. Having two live bait out at the bottom. I could technically take out the sabiki and get bait? since I don't have any RF/Ling on board? just want to make sure :)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
No.  If you have two lines out and you catch a rockfish you have to release it.  You do not have the option of retaining it and from that point onward fishing with only one line.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
The way I always describe it is like this...if that was legal, then I'd just use 10 rods until I catch a big RF/ling, then scale back to just 1 rod after putting the RF/ling on my stringer. That doesn't seem ethical right?
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Widgeon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017

-Allen

I was recently checked while fishing by the a very friendly (and quite easy on the eyea) warden at fort ross. I'm sure a lot of you know her. :D She stated that I was completely in compliance with regs, and I asked her if I could ask her a few questions. I asked if I could use more hooks because, even though I was using shrimp flies, I hadn't caught any fish yet...technically, I could be fishing for anything. She said NO, and that she knew I was targeting rock fish from her experience, and rock fish have a 2 hook restriction....it seemed kind of illogical me but I didn't want to argue. Just found it very strange.
3rd--- 2017 Albion Open

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
She said NO, and that she knew I was targeting rock fish from her experience, and rock fish have a 2 hook restriction....it seemed kind of illogical me but I didn't want to argue. Just found it very strange.
Tickets are given by wardens at their discretion and knowledge of the law.  Anything beyond that is decided by the courts.

I'd be more inclined to agree with the warden that someone using a traditional two gangion setup in rockfish territory is targeting rockfish.  If that person is truly targeting something else, then they are more than welcome to argue that in court, even if that results in a "guilty until proven innocent" sentimentality. 

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Is it legal to fish with a sabiki rig if you also have rockfish gear on your boat? Second question, what if you have rockfish on your kayak....definately illegal to fish with sabiki at that point (even if you are not targeting rockfish) due to 2 hook reatriction?
You're more than welcome to fish a two hook sabiki setup even after you retain rockfish.  I've used one sabiki and a small kastmaster before when targeting mackerel. (I honestly hate hooking more than 2 macs at a time as they're such a PITA to deal with)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:54:54 PM by bmb »

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
She said NO, and that she knew I was targeting rock fish from her experience, and rock fish have a 2 hook restriction....it seemed kind of illogical me but I didn't want to argue. Just found it very strange.
Tickets are given by wardens at their discretion and knowledge of the law.  Anything beyond that is decided by the courts.

I'd be more inclined to agree with the warden that someone using a traditional two gangion setup in rockfish territory is targeting rockfish. If that person is truly targeting something else, then they are more than welcome to argue that in court, even if that results in a "guilty until proven innocent" sentimentality. 

What else would you be targeting?  The argument that you were targeting something else would not fly anywhere and doesn't even pass the straight faced test.  "Technically" does not get anyone a free pass and resorting to that line is usually an admission that the argument is lost.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Last week, I got 6 little blues on my sibiki... What then? 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

polepole

• Administrator
So the next question would be...if I'm targeting halibut and using two rod. Having two live bait out at the bottom. I could technically take out the sabiki and get bait? since I don't have any RF/Ling on board? just want to make sure :)

Correct.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Last week, I got 6 little blues on my sibiki... What then? 

Release them.

-Allen

anything