Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Lumpy Linda Mar Thursday 9/21  (Read 1209 times)

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I fished Linda Mar this past Thursday for a salmon skunk. I only had an hour and a half to spend on the water before work, and conditions were... invigorating.

I got some useful practice surf launching and dealing with larger wind waves. It was the kind of day where there were very few whitecaps, but they were were large, like the 6-foot wind swell was breaking. This was new to me and gave me a good scare once or twice. A water bottle got washed out of my rear tankwell, but that was the only casualty.

Just a year ago I would be nauseous every time there was a short period swell but I recently realized that that hasn’t  been happening anymore. Pretty cool that our bodies can adapt.

Edit: Thursday, not Wednesday
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:28:59 PM by KPD »
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Alcim11

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
beautiful video . Was like being a fish with a periscope.  Shoot more next time. How was the landing?

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Cool video. That does look invigorating, and then some...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Ah, the landing. I snuck through the outer break, surfed a small wave most of the way in, but rolled the boat in thigh-deep water when I over- braced. Fortunately no big deal. Maybe wrapping my legs around the boat would’ve helped? Probably the safest way to do it is paddle backwards when a wave approaches to punch through and avoid surfing. I should go play in the surf there with no extra gear sometime. Problem is that it’s always mobbed with surfers.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Dang, some gnarly conditions for sure.  thx for sharing.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Alcim11

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
What kind of kayak do you have that you can successfully brace?
Having had my kayak slammed down on my head as I was on the sand left by the retreating 6' wave, I thought about pointing into the waves and backing slowly in.  But I decided that if I get caught again in those kind of conditions it might be best to get into the water a couple of waves out, and swim the kayak in to the beach holding onto the end away from the beach.
Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:26:42 AM by Alcim11 »

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Dude, you went out on that kind of condition?  :smt101

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Having had my kayak slammed down on my head as I was on the sand left by the retreating 6' wave, I thought about pointing into the waves and backing slowly in.  But I decided that if I get caught again in those kind of conditions it might be best to get into the water a couple of waves out, and swim the kayak in to the beach holding onto the end away from the beach.
Any thoughts?

Just a normal SOT (Hobie Adventure), which I can't brace well at all. Hence the falling out part.  :smt001 I know some people use thigh straps in SOT kayaks so they can brace.

I'm no expert on surf launches, but I think your description of swimming the boat in is what some people do and works pretty well.

Here is the video of the launch, which was pretty straightforward:

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Dude, you went out on that kind of condition?  :smt101

Outings like this are a nice balance to sitting at a desk all day. My only complaint was the lack of salmon.

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Nice, thanks for the videos!

Seems like getting out is hardly ever the tricky part and you can definitely hop out and let the yak tow you back in when landing if necessary. We should organize a surf practice hookup at surfers beach in HMB or Muir or somewhere with less surfers. Linda Mar is almost always packed and trying to get back in with all the potential victims in the way can really be nerve wracking!

Thanks for the report.

- Michael
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:50:16 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Any thoughts?

Just a normal SOT (Hobie Adventure), which I can't brace well at all. Hence the falling out part.  :smt001 I know some people use thigh straps in SOT kayaks so they can brace.

I'm no expert on surf launches, but I think your description of swimming the boat in is what some people do and works pretty well.

Here is the video of the launch, which was pretty straightforward:

wow awesome video of going out!! some of the wave had me saying oh shit!! Good thing you didn't stop paddling. This would be a great video to show people how to launch...DON'T STOP PADDLING!! or else it would be wiped out city

thanks for posting :)

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
"invigorating" :smt005

great vids!
I've been wiped out there a few times, back when we would trek out from the city to yak surf.

In the immortal words of my first kayak instructor Bo Barnes:
"paddle like hell!"
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.