Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trailers & Campers for kayaks (with pics)  (Read 132580 times)

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Hi RDods, I'm in the same dilemma as you. When we bought our 2019 outback three wks ago, I just put them on our modified jet ski trailer set up for the Perception Pescudors Pilots we had. Three weeks later, still sitting on the trailer, my wife couldn't get the middle hatch to close  with the tray. After 20 mins trying to figure out why,  we finally figured it was because the v bunks  weren't sitting correctly on the bottom, causing the bottom to deform enough to cause the tray to not sit correctly on the lower lip. I was currently making a truck rack to hold the two kayaks with pvc on the bottom.
I was currently going to store the yaks upright on the pvc, but now am thinking on storing them upside down on trailer on two  2x4's. I too, would love to just store them upright, but don't want to permanently deform them by this.

Oh man fear confirmed - thank you for chiming in with your experience; nice to hear it from a 2019 outback owner as well.  Have you tried repairing the dent with heat or anything else? Curious if you're in for a perma-deformation even if slight, or if it can be fixed. 

I'm thinking about contacting Hobie and seeing what they have to say, although I have a feeling I'm going to get the generic formatted response to store it upside down.  I'm sure people store their kayaks right side up without issue, just a matter of finding the trick for the 2019 outback.  I have a friend of a friend who kayak fishes competitively and he stores his PA on the exact trailer I have right side up and doesn't have issue.  Currently waiting on a picture from him of his setup that I will share with everyone here.

Rk2fish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
RDods, the dent isn't even noticeable.  The bottom is just slightly pushed upward enough that the plastic tray will touch the bottom of the kayak and not sit flush on the lower front lip. My kayak was okay but it was starting to deform. I have them upside down now to see if it reforms back to normal. I guess I can always modify the plastic tray so the hatch closes correctly. Lol.

Shrthrcrzy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Bought a jet ski trailer and converted it for my PA 14. Some grinding, painting, new lights, wiring, hubs and safety chain and its ready to go. Finished it yesterday and so far I'm happy with it.
Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon when you ain't got no smoked salmon.     

Patrick F. McManus

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Bought a jet ski trailer and converted it for my PA 14. Some grinding, painting, new lights, wiring, hubs and safety chain and its ready to go. Finished it yesterday and so far I'm happy with it.
More importantly is the bird dog happy with it? Nice job. Good place for a spare underneath just behind the axle.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Shrthrcrzy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
More importantly is the bird dog happy with it? Nice job. Good place for a spare underneath just behind the axle.

Oh she's happy...She knows we are going to use the yak for accessing some hard to reach chukars in November. Thanks for the idea on the spare. Was wondering where to put it.
Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon when you ain't got no smoked salmon.     

Patrick F. McManus

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
You could also do a spare mount up front as part of additional bow support.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
You could also do a spare mount up front as part of additional bow support.
With that much weight forward I’d keep any additional weight behind the axle, I’d be surprised if the weight distribution on that set up is 60/40.

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
I don’t think that’s a concern for this trailer. I would resist the back mounted spare to be certain there was enough tongue weight and to keep the spare out of the water, particularly salt.

I’d really want support for the plastic up front and rather have a bit more tongue weight than not enough. A light tongue is a squirrely ride.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don’t think that’s a concern for this trailer. I would resist the back mounted spare to be certain there was enough tongue weight and to keep the spare out of the water, particularly salt.

I’d really want support for the plastic up front and rather have a bit more tongue weight than not enough. A light tongue is a squirrely ride.
Ya I forgot only Hulk Hogan can get them things to the water without backing them IN the water.  :smt044

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

Shrthrcrzy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Yeah I towed it yesterday at 65 just to see and it towed beautifully....no sway. Its only a 130lbs but still. I think a little more weight on the tongue might be a good idea.

Although I learned when I drove truck the truckers motto...."Never look back" lol

Patrick F. McManus

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Yeah I towed it yesterday at 65 just to see and it towed beautifully....no sway. Its only a 130lbs but still. I think a little more weight on the tongue might be a good idea.

Although I learned when I drove truck the truckers motto...."Never look back" lol

Just lean forward as you drive.

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

anything