Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Winter steelhead......  (Read 2721 times)

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I really hope I can swing a winter steelhead trip or two this season.  It's damn hard to time it correctly when one lives 5 hours from the coast!  The Trinity was mostly a bust for me this year.  Just small ones.  It's been a long time since I hooked into a DD steel, and that needs to be remedied.  I'm thinking SF Eel or the Duzen.  Bring on the rains!
aMayesing Bros.

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I really hope I can swing a winter steelhead trip or two this season.  It's damn hard to time it correctly when one lives 5 hours from the coast!  The Trinity was mostly a bust for me this year.  Just small ones.  It's been a long time since I hooked into a DD steel, and that needs to be remedied.  I'm thinking SF Eel or the Duzen.  Bring on the rains!
Let's do it!
~MarcosM~

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Let's do it!

Add me to the speed dial list!  Haven't been to the coast for several winters.

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Let's do it!

Add me to the speed dial list!  Haven't been to the coast for several winters.
It would be a pleasure to fish with you both!  Winter steel are amazing.  I love that immediate switch when you're out there freezing your ass off for hours, then you get a bite, hook up, and immediately you're all warm as the adrenaline rushes and you watch 30+ inches of chrome erupt out of the water.  Steelhead have handed my ass to me on more than one occasion  :smt044.
aMayesing Bros.

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Did some damage Feb-Apr.

The center pin is already spooled with fresh line, ready to go.

Nice! Don't see alot of pinners down here in Cal. Were you down here or further north?

I'd say this fall was just OK for me, labor day weekend on the Trinity was awesome with 11 fresh adults landed but other trips to upper klam and rogue were only average.

Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013

The windows can be tight depending on how wet the winter is, but you should definitely head over with the yak. There's almost always one two week window during the season window everything aligns.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna