Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pillar point harbor HMB free launch/parking?  (Read 5863 times)

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
very limited... and high risk area (if you look on the ground and there is broken shattered glass, that should be a warning); is just an easier paddle to the jaws, then paddling from HMB Kayak beach....
Not sure why it would be high risk, are you saying getting your car broken into? i parked there all the time, and there's usually plenty of people heading out/in or people at the yacht club.  I usually get there early enough to get a good spot.
very limited... and high risk area (if you look on the ground and there is broken shattered glass, that should be a warning); is just an easier paddle to the jaws, then paddling from HMB Kayak beach....

Is it really an easier paddle to the jaws?  Look on a map, I betcha it is just a few 100 feet of difference, mainly from having to weave through the breakwall from HMB Kayaks.  But the big difference IMO is that heading back to HMB Kayaks later in the day when the wind is coming up, you're mostly riding the NW/W wind, while when going back to the pier, you're mostly paddling crosswind to slightly upwind.

-Allen
I have done both paddles. Im more comfortable with the one to/from the old pier.
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

Is it really an easier paddle to the jaws?  Look on a map, I betcha it is just a few 100 feet of difference, mainly from having to weave through the breakwall from HMB Kayaks.  But the big difference IMO is that heading back to HMB Kayaks later in the day when the wind is coming up, you're mostly riding the NW/W wind, while when going back to the pier, you're mostly paddling crosswind to slightly upwind.

-Allen

From the Pier Beach to the Jaws: 0.5 mile paddle
From HMB Kayak to the Jaws: 0.8 mile paddle

The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Not sure why it would be high risk, are you saying getting your car broken into? i parked there all the time, and there's usually plenty of people heading out/in or people at the yacht club.  I usually get there early enough to get a good spot.

Vasser Ave maybe okay; Columbus and Broadway are another story....

garyjwebb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
You can also park on hwy 1 by the trailer camping area.then you have the wind at your back on the way home. Longer haul up to the car though.

garyjwebb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
If the ocean is flat and if you've got a buddy you can hump your gear down to the beach and launch. Cuts the trip out to the bouy in half. Then come back in thru the harbor jaws.  Ride the wind back to the beach.

~BMAC~

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Hopefully you guys find better conditions on Sunday than I saw from shore on Friday. The waves were literally crashing over the south jetty.

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
 :smt006

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

-Allen

Using Navionics, assuming 3 mph and no wind, it tells me there is a 3 minute difference.  Add the wind into the equation and it could easily flop the other way.

-Allen

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

-Allen

Using Navionics, assuming 3 mph and no wind, it tells me there is a 3 minute difference.  Add the wind into the equation and it could easily flop the other way.

-Allen

but the main advantage to launching/landing from HMB Kayak, is the Chill'n that takes place in the PP lots right after!!!! :smt003