Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:45:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 2006 NWKA Derby, July 29-30, Neah Bay, WA  (Read 4471 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Save the date!!!  I wanted to let you all know the date and location of NorthWest Kayak Angler's first derby as those have been set.  It will take place the weekend of July 29-30.  This will be a lingcod and rockfish derby.  The location will be Snow Creek Resort (http://www.snowcreekwa.com/) in Neah Bay, WA.  I'll post more details as they get finalized.

Here's an aerial pic of the resort.  Look at that structure right out front!  It's like that for miles in all directions!!!  So, is anyone interested in making the trip?

-Allen

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Looks like a great venue for a tourney.  I'd love to make the trip but not sure if I can take the time off. 

Will salmon (either King or Silver) be in range at this time? 

polepole

• Administrator
That time of year is PRIME time for king salmon!!  However, you can only fish for them on Tuesdays through Saturday.  The plan is for the actual tourney to be on the Sunday.  Saturday is for pre-fishing and we're planning on having a clinic/class for newbies that day as as well.

-Allen

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Damn Allen I thought the CA Regs were confusing Washinton's are more so :smt011. Do I have this right if we come up early we can fish Salmon Fri & Sat. No Halibut, and the rock fishing is under 20 fathoms? What's the limit and size on Lings and Salmon? re there kayak rentals close by, how long is the drive from Seatac?
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

polepole

• Administrator
Don't hold me to anything I say about regs because they are so damn confusing.  But here's my take.  There are 2 Marine areas in the area, MA4 and MA5.  We'll be in MA4 at Snow Creek.  But even within the MA's there are sub-regions.  Oh and MA5 is barbless hooks only for all species, and MA4 allows barbs for some species (I think everything but salmon).

Yes you could fish Fri and Sat for salmon IF the quota hasn't been met yet.  Minimum size limit is 24" and the limit is 1.    And anyway the king salmon season is set to end on July 31st in the waters around where we'll.  Although a few miles down the road in MA5, it's supposed to be open through August (with no day restrictions).  Minimum size limit is 22" and the limit is 2 there. 

In MA4, the ling min is 24" and the limit is 2.  Rockfish limit is 10.  In MA5, lingcod is closed then, and rockfish limit could be 3 or it could be 1 depending on how far down the road you go into another sub-region.  Although halibut season may be open there.

Are you  more confused now?   :smt013

The regs are here ... http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2006/2006sportregs.pdf

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Oh, and it's 5-6 hours from Seatac.  And I'm working with some local kayak shops to have rentals available if needed.

-Allen

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
If I made the trip, I'd want to camp on the way.  2 nights there, 2 nights back.  I'd need to plan a vacation around it, but I just don't know if it is going to happen right now. 

BTW - the WA state regulations are amazing complex.  I'd never know if I was legal or not.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
BTW - the WA state regulations are amazing complex.  I'd never know if I was legal or not.
I agree Kevin I  if I went it would be barbless and C&R be easier than worrying about the regs.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

polepole

• Administrator
I agree Kevin I  if I went it would be barbless and C&R be easier than worrying about the regs.

Naw!  If you fish out front of Snow Creek, you can use barbs to target the lings and rockies we're after.  However, you can go ahead and release the big ol' derby winning lingzilla if you want to though.    :smt002

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Just got the word ...

Ocean Kayak is offering a brand new PROWLER BIG GAME as the grand prize for the derby!!!    ;D ;D ;D

-Allen
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:46:04 PM by polepole »

polepole

• Administrator
Here's a taste of Snow Creek.  Fishin-T and I stopped by there this morning.  I'll post a full report  under the Sekiu thread in the Washington forum.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Derby details and signup are now online.  Follow the menulink from www.NorthWestKayakAnglers.com.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Had a good crew show up to this weekend's derby.  The weather cooperated for the most part with only a few sprinkles Saturday night.  Not too many lings showing with only 2 caught all weekend, but one 15 pound 8 ouncer won the derby and the Big Game.  Second place was an 8 pound 7 ounce cab which took home $300.  Third and fourth were also cabs around 4 pounds each and took home a variety of gear including a n Extrasport PFD donated by Seattle Raft and Kayak, a safety package donated by West Marine, $50 gift cert from Hook1, and a set of RoRows from ToteGear.

Attached are some pics of the winners.  A longer report is here ... http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=87.0

-Allen
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 05:11:16 PM by polepole »

Randy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Allen,

Congratulations on sponsoring a great derby!

Clearly, everybody involved had a great time. 

Randy

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Nice work bradah   :smt002

anything