Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:08:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Out running a Tsunami!!!!  (Read 2940 times)

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
 :smt107 So last week Holy Toledo and I did a run up the coast searching for some coastal chrome. We ended up at a small Medocino creek near the mouth on Friday when the rains were starting to kick up. The surf was BIG that day. Breaking about a 1/4 mile off shore on the bigger sets. So we were working our way downstream towards the mouth. The creek runs parallel to the cliffs for a few hundred yards, then makes a left turn into the ocean. I went a little further down towards the mouth area and fished for a while then just watched the river and ocean meet for a few minutes. The water was so skinny over the bar, I wondered how the fish even make it over. Well after watching for about 10 minutes I decided to call it a day and started walking back to HT. Then I heard this roaring sound and I look over my shoulder to see a wave plowing up the creek channel, and so I started to run a little thinking I might get a little wet if I don't hustle a little...you know when your on the beach a little bigger wave pushes up and you run a little sprint to keep from getting swamped. So I start to run a little and then look back. It's now about twice the size and gaining on me, I start running harder and yelled out "Tsunami, run!" to Patrick half joking about the Tsunami part, but not the run part! I look back again and it's still building, now it's more like a wall of water coming, not just a wave and it was black with all the sand it was churning up. Now we're both in an all out sprint and the sand was getting softer. So here we are running like hell in waders, rainjackets, poles and packs on. After about a hundred or more yards I look back again and it's still right on our heels. I'm starting to get a little pooped and think about turning to the right and head up the sand bar more, and I see water pouring over the bar in about a half dozen places in swaths about 100-150' wide way beyond where we are. Keep in mind up till this point the closest waves on the beach were about 200 plus yards out let alone coming over it!! I look back again and it's still pushing up, but we've gained a little ground on it now, but I'm thinking this is no joke, and when or if this thing is going to stop coming. I was having flashes of the Tsunami footage on the news, and thinking this might be the real deal, SH*T!!! What a lousy place to be if it was. I remember seeing Patrick's lure dragging and bouncing along behind him as he didn't even stop to reel up when he heard me yell "run!"   :smt005 I also thought how cool it would be to get a photo of this thing, but there was no way stop and take one. As Patrick put it later "it would be like trying to get a photo of a tiger attacking you"  :smt005 A man's got to know his priorities  :smt044 By now my heart was coming out of my chest and my lungs were burning. All together it traveled several hundred yards up the creek before it finally subsided... We just kept walking further up the bar before we took another look back and marveled at what we just experienced...stopped and checked out how far it came. Kept shaking our heads and said we were glad we were able to tell about it. If that thing caught us, there was NO WAY you could stand up to it. It would have swept us for a strike for sure. The rest of the day and that night I kept seeing the vision of that huge roaring black wall of water...

H2Ospider

wow! that was a awesome read.  glad you made it.
add danger music here.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
No pics?!?!? COME ON!!!   :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Glad you beat out Mother Nature. She's no joke.
<=>

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Wow!!!!

What the Hell was that????

Glad you guys are around to tell the tale....
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
  Rouge wave maybe?  Dam.    Glad you had the smarts to recognise the danger coming at you.  How many people don't?

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Wow,
Glad you made it back to tell the tail.
Who says fishing is not an extream sport  :surf
Hobie Outback (dune)

Gue

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

Dang...!!! I'm impressed that you could run that far in waders, packs, and poles....ahead of rouge wave which would have surely pummelled you if not killed you....way to recognize the threat and react...!!! Glad you guys are still with us.

Gue

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Wow, that's nuts. Just like the movies! :smt003 Sounds like it could have been a combo of a large set and storm surge. We used to have those in the HMB feeder creeks all the time.

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
HFS Allen, that's insane. Sure glad you had enough warning to make the sprint in full regalia - the mental image of Patrick running with lure trailing adds some drama - maybe he can buy the book from you on this one, eh?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:25:21 AM by jhfish »
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Look at the bright side; you got your workout for the weekend!  :smt003  Glad you two survived to tall the tale.
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
HFS Allen, that's insane.

Unfortunately/fortunately almost, I was unable to go with Glynn and HOLY TOLEDO. Patrick's version of the event gave me the chills!
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

calbear

• Salmon
  • Waylon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Never turn your back on the ocean... words to live by, literally
Motorized boats are for the lazy limp d!%k$

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Honestly, from the post's title alone, I passed the post over, thinking it would just be totally comical.  But I'm really glad I read it now.  That's one of those things where you later recall and laugh your a$$ off, but literally scare the crap out of you while its going on.  Great writeup, felt like I was there watching it unfold.  Glad you made it out safe.

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Glad I wasn't there. It would have been the end of me.
Glad you guys knew what to do.
Great read!
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Twas a feet do your thing momment for sure! I've had a few of those while on duty, so I've had some experience at recongnizing life threatening things and so far taken appropriate action. (hint, don't stop to watch it too long  :smt002) I told Patrick I'm pretty sure I kicked a few platelets loose in my arteries after that sprint  :smt044 Juan if you were there, hopefully you'd be dragging on Patricks' lure  :smt002 Allen if you were there I'm sure it would have kicked loose any remaining nicotine in your system for sure  :smt005
All I gotta do to see it is close my eyes.... Yep, always respect momma nature.

anything