Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:20:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Big newbie mistake!  (Read 7803 times)

Timojam

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
New Chick,
If you get sick while boating then you are sure to ralph when kayaking.  I see you are in Hanford.  Used to live in Visalia. :smt006

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Is motion sickness common with kayaking?  Again, I'm new to this and am trying to figure out all the information I can.  If I know what to expect, it's easier for me to prepare :)

My wife gets sick looking at a dock so stays off the water.  My son used to get sick alot but since we found this little electric zapper watch he is fine http://www.reliefband.com/main.html

Before you try all the drugs, patches etc may want to try the acupressure wrist bands as well.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

Gue

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

Jedmo,
     Glad you are safe...glad your buds were there to help. I went over earlier this summer off of San Simeon. My partner and his son were two hundred yards away catching fish and the son was sea sick ... they were headed to the beach. I hooked a fish that wrapped me in the kelp. As I pressured the fish the wind turned my yak and I didn't recognize the danger ... I was fighting the snagged fish from an awkward position (fishing behind me). Before I knew it I was a swimmer... After an "Oh Crap!" moment and a breath I reviewed and executed the self rescue plan. I untangled myself form kelp and fishing gear, righted the Yak (old Necky Spike), reboarded, and continued to fish. Total donation to the sea... two leadhead jigs and a water bottle... all else was recovered... except the fish which got away.
I was wearing fleece under neoprene waders, a gortex jacket, and a PFD. Yes I took some water in the waders but not much because I keep my PFD on tight and I didn't soak for long. Had the "plan" failed ...I'd have used my whistle to call the calvary. As it was he had a good laugh as I told him how I "got my sox wet". I learned to keep the fight in front of me....and stay a bit closer to my partner. A hint when reboarding with a PFD ...push yourself down first and let the buoyancy of the vest give you a bit of momentum to reboard. I agree with e2g you Must be self reliant.
     As for the "sickness" what worked for me was Bonine the night before a trip... I never had a problem. Some years ago I decided to go off the meds until the sea sickness went away... now I usually don't get sick unless its really nasty.
     Theres lots of widsom to be gleaned from this board...soak up the knowledge yak and fish safely and get home.

I Love to kayak fish,

Gue

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Big thanks to all the folks that responded to my unwanted flippin. I know for sure
that going over the kayak would happened sooner or later. One note of the Hobie
Outback, it really does take a lot to flip this thing over. The problem is that if
you do, it is also hard to unflip it. Just my experience or maybe still a newbie thing. The kayak is 33" wide and it sit really high on the water. I had a difficult time to climb back on top. I agree that I need more practice on the self rescue.
If there is anymore tips I have not heard, please keep it coming.

Thanks again,
Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Try chewing gum, when I was younger I used to have problems with that, and chewing gum always helped.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Big thanks to all the folks that responded to my unwanted flippin. I know for sure
that going over the kayak would happened sooner or later. One note of the Hobie
Outback, it really does take a lot to flip this thing over. The problem is that if
you do, it is also hard to unflip it. Just my experience or maybe still a newbie thing. The kayak is 33" wide and it sit really high on the water. I had a difficult time to climb back on top. I agree that I need more practice on the self rescue.
If there is anymore tips I have not heard, please keep it coming.Thanks again,Jedmo

The most effective way to flip a loaded or wide kayak is to reach or climb over the bottom of the kayak ( which will actually be the top of the kayak if it is upside down ), grab the opposite side of the kayak and pull the kayak back as you slide back into the water.
It may be difficult to get over the bottom of the kayak but once you do you will have much more leverage.
Usually I go under the kayak, grab one side with my right hand and pull down as I push up on the other side with my left.
My GF flipped her kayak at Tahoe (don't ask how) with an ice chest full of beer and ice strapped down in the tank well. That was one heavy yak to get upright. Climbing over the bottom and pulling back was by far the easiest. With all the weight and added resistance it was just too heavy for my usual method to work.
<=>

Relentless

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
OAP nubie flipped today.  Nothing leashed, including lost paddle. Keep a back up paddle. Leash appropriate gear. Have a whistle.

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Jedmo

I've been going out alone for a long long time

When getting back on your yak becomes a form of rescue it might be time to take a good hard look at your yak

i'm really not a fan of vomit :)

I second the "time to take a good hard look at your yak"

Thanks Paul for the laugh.  Seriously jed, hobies outbacks are flat water rides, for the ocean, get yourself something fast and stable.  I know outback owners think their rides are stable, but I owned one and the prowlers and tarpons are way more efficient ocean and rough water rides.  Try one if you haven't and tell us what you think on this or the appropriate kayak manufacturers threads.  I'd be interested in what you thought.  JTF

a few years ago on the biggest whale watch boat out of Monterey probably 80% of the passengers were giving it up to the seas        The stench was amazing but it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen

especially when this big biker dude in chaps dropped to his knees and stuck his head through the rails

I would've busted a gut except my wife was one of the 80%

very tragic that I didn't have the good sense to make a movie of it     

or even just the audio track     

:cowboy_smoke:
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

Wldrnshntr

• Sea Lion
  • Work hard play hard
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I`m still new to this also . My yak came with a picture of a guy standing on it fly fishing . So as soon as I get it I go around Lake Englebright fishing. I pick a good spot looks like a ball of shad out in the middle so i stand up . I found minutes later that going directly under grab handle on one side and pushing up on the other while kicking  righted the yak. And yes I`m a little thick I did try it again in slow motion and ended up back in the water . Learned self rescue the hard way .

http://wall-acepainting.com/index.html
What we learn to do, we learn by doing- Aristotle   We few, we happy few, we
band of brothers. - Shakespeare
2009 Stump yard sale 1st place
Clear lake stormtrooper 2010
Del Valle How stormtrooper 2011
RBCII  2011 3rd place Big Fish

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
Glad you're OK.  Dude, on top of all that you did a face plant in your lunch.  Ewwww...It wasn't your day.

If you spend some time ab-diving off the yak, you stop thinking of it as a rescue and more that you're just climbing in and out of the boat.

I'm like some of the others.  I don't mind being out there alone, and I often am.  Sometimes I use a surf leash on my ankle, because once you've mastered climbing in and out of the boat the big danger is becoming separated from it.  Like in a big wind or something.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007

very tragic that I didn't have the good sense to make a movie of it or even just the audio track     

:cowboy_smoke:

:smt044    :smt044    :smt044
That's sick, you're killing me!
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

ReelCrazy831

• Salmon
  • wutz yak-alackin'?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
yea dude, that suck u want down n lost ur gear.. i did the same thing opening day. lost 3 rod and my"LAPD ill F u up stick" lucky calbear was with me and help me up....dang that water was cold... 400$ mistake never doing that again..

live and learn
 im also a newbie on a kayak                               soulhigh831

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
 Jedmo,

I'm glad you are OK and no yard sale occured.

I am fortunate to have been blessed with sea legs, so unless its 8 foot white caps, I'm fine.

I too have been on party boats where 80% plus are chumming. :smt009

I saw a guy pass a half cheeseburger through his nose... Amazing...

Rich

I LIKEY FISH

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Glad your safe and back on land man im really learning a lot from your guys experience thanks for sharing your unfortunate adventure it helps a rookie like myself alot

Keo
Wait For It Wait For It BAM!!!!

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Jedmo,  Sorry you still got sick.  Although I haven't been out on the ocean (Paradise park I think doesn't count)  yet, I know I'll get sea sick, without meds, I'd like to offer up a suggestion for when the chum might happen again while on your OB.  Instead of leaning over the side to chum, try fighting the urge to leaning to either side and chum the drive well!  It'll keep your center of gravity inside the yak, and the drive well will clean out.  Sure you may have to wash down the deck a little, but if by chumming the drivewell keeps you from going over, well that sounds a little better to me. 
  Again, I haven't been in this situation yet,(chumming on the ocean)  but I've seen how well the drive well cleans it's self out.

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade