Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fly patterns and other stuff  (Read 3170 times)

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Today I saw a movie titled Kiss The Water.It was about the life of a Scottish woman name Megan Boyd. She was a Atlantic Salmon fly tying master above all peers. She was this quirky hermit who did not fish she just wanted to tie flies because she loved the art.Her pattern were so admired and sought after people would write letters and place orders months in advance. Prince Charles was one of her loyal patrons and The Queen of England awarded her one of the nations highest awards. I recommend that anyone who ties or fishes with a Spey rod to see this film. It may inspire you to create a new pattern or just make you happy. David

bwodun

Today I saw a movie titled Kiss The Water.It was about the life of a Scottish woman name Megan Boyd. She was a Atlantic Salmon fly tying master above all peers. She was this quirky hermit who did not fish she just wanted to tie flies because she loved the art.Her pattern were so admired and sought after people would write letters and place orders months in advance. Prince Charles was one of her loyal patrons and The Queen of England awarded her one of the nations highest awards. I recommend that anyone who ties or fishes with a Spey rod to see this film. It may inspire you to create a new pattern or just make you happy. David
netflixs? would love to see this, cameron

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
netflixs? would love to see this, cameron
Here's a link to the trailer. Can't wait to see it.
http://vimeo.com/user11220189/kiss-the-water-trailer
~MarcosM~

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I gotta see this, heard of her before sounds interesting, thanks for heads up.

Maybe after seeing this I will see Rockroach fishing in a tweed with a tie in the future!

I've been looking forward to this one over a year, Frank Moore is a living legend on the NU.

Feb 20th in Pleasanton, was planning on being on the So. Ore Coast chasing steel then, damnit!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:30:57 PM by golfish »
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

Mr.Matt

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I watched it last nite. Pretty inspirational. So incredible she had such a simple and dedicated life to fly tying.
Matt

Mr.Matt

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Kiss the water is on netflix
Matt

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey Golfish, Thanks man . This film on the life of Frank Moore looks like an absolute must see! and by NU I can only assume you mean North Umquha. Excuse my poor spelling.hahah.  I really cant wait to see this one . It looks like it has some tearful and uplifting moments.If I had to choose one species and one method of fishing  for the rest of my life, Flyfishing for steelhead would be it. Dont get me wrong I will fish anyway for any gamefish.......but if I had to choose!!! :smt003

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
I've seen Frank driving his volkswagon rabbit up and down the North Umpqua in camp water, never have had the chance to talk to him though. If I could only fish one place the rest of my life it would probably be on the North skating dries. You need to get one on a skater on the NU to get your advanced degree in steelheading...
Sunrise OK Trident 13

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey Golfish, I'm heading north tomorrow or Wednesday. I don't think I'll have time to get a new tweet and tie. Can I barrow your? I'll take good care of it :smt003
~MarcosM~

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Remind me of the Comets Fernado Tabor Used to tie.He owned a little Fly Shop in Petaluma maybe 15 years back!
miss that shop and fernando and his wife, first shop i went to when i moved to sonoma county from colorado, unfortunately it closed a couple years later, cameron
                  Hooked up with ScottV today at lake sonoma and it turns out that his buddy Craig knew Fernado. Craig had him repair a few of his old flyreels. Small world !!!

bwodun

Remind me of the Comets Fernado Tabor Used to tie.He owned a little Fly Shop in Petaluma maybe 15 years back!
miss that shop and fernando and his wife, first shop i went to when i moved to sonoma county from colorado, unfortunately it closed a couple years later, cameron
                  Hooked up with ScottV today at lake sonoma and it turns out that his buddy Craig knew Fernado. Craig had him repair a few of his old flyreels. Small world !!!
cool, how did you guys do today, i maybe able to get up there tomorrow afternoon, cameron

stillgoin

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Golfish,
I agree, but you might have forgotten one color for near dark fall steelies. Purple, purple, or purple or Really Dark Purple  :smt002. My go to color for low light swinging also for slightly dark/ off color tidewater fishing too.

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
Yeah, I like purple too, I have some primo deer hair dyed purple that I spin up for muddlers. I like to tie them with a little UV flash in the tail. I like to skate it dawn/dusk.
Sunrise OK Trident 13

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
How do you tie the tail section. That's a badass streamer.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

mdoka_matt

• Sea Lion
  • Its happening like Soledad
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010