Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 10:19:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:35:28 PM]

[Today at 09:34:00 PM]

[Today at 09:28:09 PM]

[Today at 07:44:11 PM]

[Today at 04:54:29 PM]

[Today at 03:55:19 PM]

[Today at 02:08:42 PM]

[Today at 01:54:14 PM]

[Today at 11:53:02 AM]

[Today at 11:47:27 AM]

[Today at 10:36:28 AM]

[Today at 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 12:52:23 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bolinas tomorrow morning? (08/31)  (Read 2672 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Thanks for the warning. I was more worried about getting blown North around Duxbury this morning. Anyway, I am really getting into this kayak fishing thing, so I picked up a Trident 13 today at Clavey. The Malibu 2XL will be relegated to family trip duty only.
Boom!  That's how.  I got my Jackson at Clavey.  You are going to be a happy yakker scooting along..... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Oh boy...this is where It all begins
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Thanks for the suggestion AlexB, I was trying to replicate the rig I've seen Lost_Anchovy using in his videos, but not dropping $2 balls of toxic metal all over the ocean floor does sound appealing; I'll give it a try.

Mr Anchovy, it would be great to see you and anyone else out there tomorrow. I wouldn't ask to tag along since I couldn't keep up anyway in the tandem barge I have for a kayak, but it would be nice to see some other people out there.

Carry two or three balls of lead and a deep six. If you run out of lead tie on the deep six. I really dislike them but they're a nice last resort.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Seen it many times.  Lol
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Seen it many times.  Lol
Before you know it he will be squeezing past a pile of gear trying to cram his third yak into the garage hoping his wife doesn't see it because he is just about out of WAF.

[emoji1] [emoji17] [emoji32]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:38:33 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Hey now! I've got plenty of WAF. Nobody has more WAF than I do. I've got the best WAF, everybody knows that.

What's WAF again?

Anyway, I should have just bought the damn thing a year ago when my two buddies bought theirs. We all got into kayak fishing and the same time, and they ran out and bought all new stuff, while I hobbled along on the family kayak, because I wasn't sure I was going to stick with it and didn't want another expensive reminder of a hobby that didn't take tucked away in some corner of the yard. But after several great fishing trips this season, and I'm hooked. Might as well get the right tool for the job.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks for the suggestion AlexB, I was trying to replicate the rig I've seen Lost_Anchovy using in his videos, but not dropping $2 balls of toxic metal all over the ocean floor does sound appealing; I'll give it a try.

Mr Anchovy, it would be great to see you and anyone else out there tomorrow. I wouldn't ask to tag along since I couldn't keep up anyway in the tandem barge I have for a kayak, but it would be nice to see some other people out there.

Carry two or three balls of lead and a deep six. If you run out of lead tie on the deep six. I really dislike them but they're a nice last resort.
What is it you dislike about the DD6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008

Drag Alex. Dd6 drag like crazy and the depth is also not as consistent. That's just me. I used them a few times in the past but mostly gave up on them. I use them as a lost resort too. LoL.
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Yeah, they do drag, but it doesn't bother me much with the Hobie.

As far as holding a consistent depth, I haven't found it to be an issue. If you adjust your speed depending on currents to maintain the proper "angle of the dangle" (I like a 30* angle between my line and the water surface) your depth and bait presentation will be consistent. With the 30 degree angle, figuring out your depth is easy. Just take the amount of line you have out and divide it by 2.

Even if I wasn't bothered by dumping lead, I think I'd still rock the DD6. I like the fact that I don't lose a ball ($) every time I bump bottom, hook a rockfish or underling, get a short bite, etc, etc.. I always found that really frustrating before I switched to the DD6.

They both work, though, that's for sure.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013

I don't like fighting the fish with a gangly hunk of plastic that catches on the water creating perfect slack for throwing the hook at the most inopportune times, mainly when within 15' of the yak. Honestly, I use a slider most of the time with a 6" piece of 12-15lbs test to an 8 oz weight (for ease of breaking off looking for reef raiders), as I'm trooching cut plug most of the time. That way when the fish runs it's just pulling line and not the weight. Once i run out of a massive stash of 24oz balls I scored at a killer price I'll probably switch from the sinker release to a 16oz ball on the slider for trolling duties. most of my time off these days coincides with me being closer to shelter cove than down here so I'm mainly running cut plug so it may take awhile to get thru all those big balls.  I am hoping to get on the Marin/Sonoma coast though early next week to chase some chrome, would enjoy meeting up with some if y'all that have fished it regularly. I've only been down here a year so still figuring out the lay of the ocean.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:31:07 PM by wizz »
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna