Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Iron Chef - Carp Episode  (Read 2734 times)

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Anyone watch Chen-san battle it out using Koi as the secret ingredient last Tuesday 4/18?  It looked pretty cool.  I always wondered about carp (whether = crap)

PS:  Post not intended as a poll for who loves carp and who thinks its $hit fish.  I was just wondering about this Iron Chef episode.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
What kind of dishes did they make out of it?
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Chen made a sashimi dish!  Crazy huh?  Try that with a goldfish you snatch out of Chesbro reservoir - NOT!

Both chefs knocked out a scored and fried whole fish.
Both chefs also did a stew in an earthen pot.

One thing I noticed was that both chefs ended up doing at least one thick spicy sauce for the fish.  I'm guessing the viscosity and spice is intended to mask something wierd about the fish smell or texture.  At least one panelist also noted a strange smell and that the little bones were "offensive".

Bill can you move this post to Recipes?  I think I posted in the wrong section.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Keep in mind that carp are like salmon...not every species of the genus is as tasty as other.  Some species of carp are excellent table fare, others are NOT.  The one we have here called the common carp and is not tasty.  Most asain cooking uses grass carp which is tasty, but illegal in most parts of the US.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 06:39:52 PM by scwafish »

floatin cowboys

Hey scwafish, I have known that about grass carp, but why are they illegal here.
When I lived in Germany people fished for carp like we fish for trout. Never ate one though. Gulped a goldfish once though at a fair on a dare.

justhavinfun

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hey scwafish, I have known that about grass carp, but why are they illegal here.

I'm not sure about the rest of California but in the delta they were originally stocked to help reduce the non-native plants and grass that are choking all the waterways - they actually do a pretty good job of it too. On a side note night paddling in Big Break on the delta I've seen grass carp go right underneath the yak that were well over 5ft in length. I spooked one once coming over a weed bed that jumped straight up and slammed into the bottom of my yak so hard I thought for a second it was going to dump me. I wouldn't keep one but man if they were legal I'd fish for 'em just for the ride. Also in Big Break I've paddled over LMB in 5-6ft of water that never even gave me a second look and once while stopped I had a whole school of pan fish using the yak as (can you believe it?) shade.

Jeff
Originally I got into fishing to fish.

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Jeff,

I know the delta is usually dirty, but how's the visibility at this place (Big Break)?  It's legal to spear carp, I think, so why can't we spear these big grass carp?  I'd be up for a carp shoot.

Nate
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:42:59 PM by spinal tap »

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  Used to love Bow fishing carp!  Sticking an arrow in a 15lb fish and watch it go nutz!  Been a few decades since I've done that.

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade