Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:14:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie Livewell V2  (Read 1098 times)

Tikifrog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Anyone splurged on this livewell? Review?

AL

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I have, and the v1 as well.
They work well as designed, however a few points to know:
You cannot use wheels in scuppers while it's installed.
Pumps need to be  primed before they will fill the livewell. This can be accomplished by either pedaling forward quickly or with a water bottle or cup. I usually do the latter.
Water will empty out of the pump when it is not running, however they come with a plug you can use.
They do not drain very cleanly out the scuppers, I  always end up with a significant amount of water sloshing around  the livewell on deck.
When full they are very heavy, enough to seriously alter the handling of an outback, less so in a PA.
The newer version has a corrosion resistant switch for the pump, other than that I don't see any real difference with the old one.
Despite the way it sounds, I like mine, and often use it even without bait, as storage and for the rod holders, and love it for places like Tomales. You can keep bait lively all day when you use it properly.
Hope this helps - Al

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Thank you! I was trying to decide between the V2 or the XL. for my pa14. I think I'm going to go with the V2 because of the weight issue as well as the cost difference. Think it should hold 1/2 a scoop of chovies or a few dozen minnows.
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

Tikifrog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I have, and the v1 as well.
They work well as designed, however a few points to know:
You cannot use wheels in scuppers while it's installed.
Pumps need to be  primed before they will fill the livewell. This can be accomplished by either pedaling forward quickly or with a water bottle or cup. I usually do the latter.
Water will empty out of the pump when it is not running, however they come with a plug you can use.
They do not drain very cleanly out the scuppers, I  always end up with a significant amount of water sloshing around  the livewell on deck.
When full they are very heavy, enough to seriously alter the handling of an outback, less so in a PA.
The newer version has a corrosion resistant switch for the pump, other than that I don't see any real difference with the old one.
Despite the way it sounds, I like mine, and often use it even without bait, as storage and for the rod holders, and love it for places like Tomales. You can keep bait lively all day when you use it properly.
Hope this helps - Al

Thanks for the reply Al,

I appreciate the info. I’m leaning towards the V2 :smt001

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014

Have you considered going the DIY route? Lots of write ups floating around. I built one using a dog food container and a bilge pump. I only use it for live bait in the bays, but it keeps anchovies alive all day for me.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Tikifrog

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Have you considered going the DIY route? Lots of write ups floating around. I built one using a dog food container and a bilge pump. I only use it for live bait in the bays, but it keeps anchovies alive all day for me.

Thanks for the reply,
I have seen the diy videos. It does look like a viable route. However, I’ve been looking for options to the screw top lid, as I’d prefer a hatch type of access. I’m also making honey-do deals angling toward funding a V2 :smt001

anything