Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:47:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:32:12 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Baker Beach Crabbing 3/18  (Read 1454 times)

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Went out to Baker Beach.  Shore break was larger than day before which was surprising as swell was marked as lower.

Not too bad though.  Tried a new method of landing at Baker....once I got near the shore break I paddled backwards watching the waves waiting for a lull and then hopped off when chest deep or shallower and walked the kayak in.  I've had some sneaker waves hit me pretty hard here so was trying to avoid flipping.

I've been trying out Promar Ambush nets with pretty good success.  Much easier to paddle with than a metal cage.

Kept 2 Dungeness and 1 rock crab.  All legal Dungeness were female (I threw a few other legal females back that I had caught as I was hoping for males).

Maybe someone can help me figure this out, I'm really not understanding how the tides and current do not match.

I was out there on a incoming tide (11am and high-tide was 1pm) and current was being swept out to sea.  Shouldn't I have been pushed towards the bay on an incoming?

I've had this in Tomales where an hour after low tide the current was still being pulled out to sea.

Does this have to do with the ebb tide?

Anyone ever fish the man made tower out there for rock fish?  Was thinking of going there when season opens.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for the report and picture Don.  There's a different tidal time between the ocean/coast and the inlets (sometime over an hour) so it may explain why current is not matching that you saw.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Come join us out in Rockaway some time! A few of us went out yesterday and all got limits of dungy and about 6-8 jumbo rock crab eaxh. We had 2 pots and 4 rings between the 3 of us.

Ling A Ding

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
The man made tower is Mile Rock.  I've always did pretty well.  But I don't suggest going there in a kayak.  Current and swells are very strong and the swells are big.  Time it right on the slack tide and get out in around an hour.  Perhaps less. 
Wilderness System Radar 135

Road Runner

• Salmon
  • View Profile NorCal Skin Divers Dive Club
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Maybe someone can help me figure this out, I'm really not understanding how the tides and current do not match.

I was out there on a incoming tide (11am and high-tide was 1pm) and current was being swept out to sea.  Shouldn't I have been pushed towards the bay on an incoming?

I've had this in Tomales where an hour after low tide the current was still being pulled out to sea.

Does this have to do with the ebb tide?

I've noticed the exact thing you're referring to. My theory is that the opposite currents are a result of a large "Eddy" current.

NorCal Skin Divers Dive Club http://www.norcalskindivers.com/events.html

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Sand
Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I'm down for some Rockaway.  Let me know next time you guys are going out!

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Yep, RoadRunner is right, those are eddies and other currents that are generated by the actual subsurface geologic features.  There are also lags in current direction and force due to movement into/out of tributaries as well as the depth of a given location, not to forget that the shoreline also induces friction in the flow of water, which retards its movement.

It's best to understand that the generally cited tide times are just that, general in nature; so for example, at the GG Bridge, the tides are tracked right out in the center of the channel, which is the deepest, fastest moving, & highest volume spot of that broader location.  The delay between the center and the edges can be as much as 30 minutes!  Taking this into consideration, remember that that mass of water is a liquid that slips and slides past the rest of the surrounding water, and it therefore influences and is influenced by the behavior of those surrounding waters.  That means the delay develops gradually as one moves away from the center of the current.

To get a better idea of the real tidal delays, head over to a good sailing/boating chandlery, many bait shops, or West Marine and pick up one of the more detailed tide charts/books that they sell and sometimes hand out for free.  The good ones show enlarged maps of important locations (high traffic and hazardous) like SF Bay and calls out specific delays by detailed location, and they also show vector arrows for those locations.  From this you will graphically see that what you experienced is normal in the areas within a couple of miles of the GG Bridge (a choke point for the tides).

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Yep, RoadRunner is right, those are eddies and other currents that are generated by the actual subsurface geologic features.  There are also lags in current direction and force due to movement into/out of tributaries as well as the depth of a given location, not to forget that the shoreline also induces friction in the flow of water, which retards its movement.

It's best to understand that the generally cited tide times are just that, general in nature; so for example, at the GG Bridge, the tides are tracked right out in the center of the channel, which is the deepest, fastest moving, & highest volume spot of that broader location.  The delay between the center and the edges can be as much as 30 minutes!  Taking this into consideration, remember that that mass of water is a liquid that slips and slides past the rest of the surrounding water, and it therefore influences and is influenced by the behavior of those surrounding waters.  That means the delay develops gradually as one moves away from the center of the current.

To get a better idea of the real tidal delays, head over to a good sailing/boating chandlery, many bait shops, or West Marine and pick up one of the more detailed tide charts/books that they sell and sometimes hand out for free.  The good ones show enlarged maps of important locations (high traffic and hazardous) like SF Bay and calls out specific delays by detailed location, and they also show vector arrows for those locations.  From this you will graphically see that what you experienced is normal in the areas within a couple of miles of the GG Bridge (a choke point for the tides).

Great info—thanks for all the detail.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

anything