Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ab diving  (Read 4193 times)

Lee Poston

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Hey Abking- I went checking on some websites about Shelter and the Lost Coast and the scenery took my breath away. I have been waiting a long, long, time to check out the Lost Coast and area around there. Just to be able to see parts of CA that hasn't been F-up by mankind would be a treat; but to be able to dive semi-untouched water... believe me, your invitation is priceless. Not to mention, I checked out some fishing charters and they reported salmon averaging 20-30 lbs and halibut that has a longer season and fric'n 45 lb lings :smt045 Holy Shit!!! That's almost better than Alaska and a hell of a lot closer. The description of the road over the mountains sounded kind of sketchy (I'm sporting a Honda CRV w/ 140 hp) but I think I could make it. I'd have to do a little planning. Bottom line is I'm  definately interested :smt005 The only question is timing (getting off work and maybe finding a place to stay up there) Please keep me informed.    -Lee

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Lee--the road's not that bad.  I think they warn people due to trailers...  There's a campground 1 minute from the launch, a cheap hotel even closer to the launch, and several moderately priced B&B type places very nearby as well.  I live 1 hour north on 101.  The key is the flat water--this is NOT so-cal or even Bay Area or Sonoma/Mendo where there's always a divable cove with decent water.  If it's over 6-8 foot swell you probably won't get in the water without a minus tide and even when it's flat the viz may be near zero.  That's why there are monster abs!  Feel free to email me.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Abking-when do you think the salmon will get more consistent?  I am mostly into shooting something with my new gun, it has yet to be used and it is killing me!

Lee-The road isn't bad at all, your car will do fine.  It is twisty and steep at times, but unless your towing its no problem.

Lee Poston

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Sean- I baught a Riffe sz 1 about 7 months ago. I too have yet to kill anything with it (actually without it too!). I might need some tips from you pros before I end up shooting my fin before I nail a fish.

LoletaEric

• Manatee
I predict the salmon will get more consistent this Friday!   :smt002   OK, that's wishful thinking...  Usually the catch for larger fish picks up during the summer--July and August are usually pretty hot.  But I really think that's due to more flat water.  When people could get out in February it was hot for a while.  It was mostly smaller fish--barely legal 20" at times--but there were also some 20#er's caught.  I had two on with one to the yak and I only trolled for an hour.  The next week when I went out with my dad he had one good strike, but that was it.  A couple of Fridays after that "everyone" got fish...  Come on up and I promise you at least a good tour!  (I sound desperate due to too many days without a partner~ :smt005)

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Newspaper says one boat went out last Friday and got a fish.  Saturday 3 boats went out and got one fish between them.  Sounds spotty...  I'm going anyway, but it also doesn't sound like ideal conditions...  I may just end up going for a beach hike up to Gitchell creek for the jumbo cabezon hunt...

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Good luck, I am going to hit my favorites in the morning and try to spear something.  We will eventually fish!

LoletaEric

• Manatee
I decided to go Sunday and maybe Monday instead since the swell is dropping to 3-5 feet...  Good luck!

anything