Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:39:39 PM]

[Today at 08:38:39 PM]

[Today at 07:56:21 PM]

[Today at 07:50:41 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Oh My at O.P.  (Read 1943 times)

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Man I had a rough day out on the water today. Joel, Dave, Fred and I launched around 7 am after Joel feel in love  :smt007  with the bait lady at the marina. We go the last of the bait so we only had 3 each. We saw Jeff launch as we where heading back to the launch.

We made it out fine, there was just a slight breeze. About 20 minutes in to fishing I start trying to grab my bait bucket that is in the rear of my tank well. I start to get a little tippy and think to myself " This is the way they always say people flip, trying to reach behind them." Two seconds later I am in the water. Yes thats right I flipped myself in the middle of the flat calm S.F. Bay, I rule! Luckily I didn't lose anything and was able to practice self rescue, which is why I dumped myself in the first place  :smt003 . One pull and I was up, not bad if I do say so myself.

Jeff paddles over and once he stops laughing we decide to try and make some better bait. Jeff has the hot stick at bait making with Freddy close behind. I get one shinner perch. Jeff is kind enough to give me a few of his shiner perch and off I go.

Pretty soon I feel my perch getting slammed hard, I give a little line, then set the hook. Fish on!! I have never hooked up with a halibut but I could tell this was not like anything I had caught before. It would lay still then start shaking its head violently back and forth, then go still again. It made a few little runs, then came up to the surface right next to the boat. Since I was only about 4 minutes into the fight I didn't think she was ready. I hesitated a bit but she didn't move. I put my net in the water and pulled her towards it. She started to slide in nice and easy. I saw she was a bit wider then my 25" diameter net. I thought all was well, then her head hit the other side of the net and she went ballistic! I tried to raise the net out of the water but I could not get it up quick enough. She managed to flip out and peeled off on a long run. My line stopped and I started to real up. Nothing there, she broke me off. I look in my net and notice my stinger hook is stuck in it. Ugh. Well at least I know I can hook them, even if I can't land them. I would estimate it was about 27" long.

Fished for another hour or so without a scratch. Headed in just and the wind started howling. I don't think anyone else hooked up or caught anything. I heard a PB that farmed one around the same time I farmed mine.

Thanks to Jeff for sharing his bait and his bait spot. Hopefully I can land a flattie soon.

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Don't worry - I had a very similar thing happen off paradise last year.  Only I managed to net, and re-net the thing three times before the hook popped.  She layed in the water inches from the end of the net- one touch and gone!
I promised myself I'd bring my big net and gaff for hallies from then on.

There are a couple of others around that have lost some nice BIG fish...and at least one that lost some gear as well!  :smt004

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
Bill,

Sorry for your lost. I was catching up to you guys late when I notice a nice bend to your pole, it looked big. Was there a second time where you thought it was off, but it was really on and then you lose it again? (not to rub it in)
I remember you reeling in your slack and your pole coming tight again.

Guess it's time to get a gaff.

As for myself, not much of anything. Couldn't make live bait at the "shit hole" but I did teach myself how to throw a castnet from a yak. So I guess the trip wasn't an entier lost. The wind did turn ON like Chuck said and it went from calm to breezy to blustery in like 30 mins. The wind was too much for my sail and I had to take her down.

next time.
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Bill... I'm so sorry about that big one that got away :smt010  .... but welcome to the club :smt002....  just don't let it haunt you.

Jeff, Freddie... how did you guys make bait?... with a sabiki?... and if so, where?

Elric, what size throw net were you throwing from your yak?

It sounds butts are getting thicker in the bay.  This could be a good year  :smt003

I'm planning to get back out there some time this week perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday morning.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Oh so sorry Bill!!!  I can feel your pain from here.

When using live bait on the small side I tend not to use stinger hooks.  The main reason is to not add excess baggage for the livey to tow around.  But I guess the problems with the net is another reason.  Yesterday I used a single size 1 hook on the smelt.  I would have used a size 4 on an equivalent sized chovie as they aren't as lively.  The halibut I caught was gut hooked.  I never did find the hook it was so deep.  I don't think halibut have problems inhaling the smaller baits ...  yet another reason I don't use the stinger.

-Allen

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
I agree with Allen.  I only use a stinger hook on bigger baits.  When using a single hook, make sure it's a small, thin, light hook tied on with a perfection loop (or something similar) to allow the bait to swim more freely.  I usually use a size 2 Gamakatsu (model #23609) hooked through the nose.

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Quote from: ChuckE

Jeff, Freddie... how did you guys make bait?... with a sabiki?... and if so, where?

chuck, we just used sabikis over the magic shit pipe! It was givin' up the goods but most of them were XXL & XXXL (mostly shiners and smelt).

These coastsiders cleaned house:

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/drupal/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=181504&an=0&page=0#181504

Its interesting that some of the other guys on coastside mentioned that the bite picked up when it became windy??? Maybe that is because the tide movement became significant about the same time the wind came up over the past few days. I dunno???

I might try later this week as well.

good fishing with you guys!

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Just ask Allen B about the fat hen halibut he netted a few years back. It gave him a lap dance before jumping ship. That has got to be the funniest halibut release I have ever seen.
I was fishing out near the mile bouy two years ago and had one I couldn't net and if you see the net it wouldn't fit in to....well damn it was just depressing. I always have my gaff handy now.

I think anyone who has fished for halibut has learned the hard way about losing them. When I first stated kayaking, I though the limit was 28". I kept throwing back 23, 25, 27....etc. Boy did I ever feel stupid when I read the regs later than day.

-Brian G
( landlocked! )

mendohead

• Sea Lion
  • 27.3 Lb 39" Santa Cruz, Ca. Butt on "Old Blue"
  • View Profile
Hi Bill:

I'm just glad your're O.K. Winds up to 45 Miles per Hr. were reported
The Coast Guard had to rescue some Fishermen when, his new Boat  started to take on water and capsized. They were hanging off the Break water off of CoYote Point for 45 Min. before the Coast Guard Chopper saved them.
                                                                      Ernie
FW 2009 RF Derby King Davenport, Ca.

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
i got 2, 5lb stripers from the big boat on sun.  the wind was fierce!  i pounded all the way back to san leandro, good thing i got the big boat.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

Freddie

• Sea Lion
  • Shhhh... I'm sleeping.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Damn... bitch slapped by your bait bucket and then, the back hand from the monster butt... Not a good day for you. At least you didn't lose any gear. We'll have to do it better on the next go around. I think you're about due to catch a jackpot fish...

Freddie

Ariel C

looks like i have to take a road trip up north and fish with you guys soon. the halibut action down here has been really slow.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
I have pretty much confirmed that my ice chest is cursed. I did not bring it Sunday and at least I hooked up. Every other time I have brought it with me has been a total skunk.

Now I need to find out if it is that ice chest or all ice chest??

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Bill, that's too funny.  I thought I was the only one who felt that way about bringing an ice chest.  If I bring one, it seems to minimize my chance of hooking up.  If I bring an ice chest all ready filled with ice, it almost guarantees a skunk.  I guess it's because I'm being too presumptious :smt012

jdyak

• Salmon
  • Joel fishing Linda Mar Creek 06
  • View Profile
Bill

I encountered the same on saturday reaching for the bait bucket.   I actually was able to pull the entire bait bucket out of the crate.  I did it very quick but I know if I continue this way its only a matter of time before I flip.  Best way is to sit to the side with your feet in the water.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.  - Herculites -
2006 NCKA BAM 1st place Catfish Winner

anything