Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:01:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fort Bragg PB trip  (Read 2265 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Went to Bragg today to try and get an early salmon and crab.  I also had some new folding crab gear for the yak that I have been wanting to try so I thru that in the boat too.

Crabbing was good we graded down to two fat limits after about three hours.  Folding yak gear worked excellent.  Salmon trolling was impossible with the 8 zillion big jellies fowling the heck out of everything.

As we trolled we found a small isolated pinacle we had never seen before.  Thought we'd try and fish around it for a but.  Caught some nice rockies, including a GIANT vermillion that was hard to throw back.  

On about the fifth drop my buddy gets snagged.  He passes me the rod so he can back the boat around and see if we can get it back.  I am reeling as we back and when we are over it I kept trying to free up some slack so I can try and hammer it free but it won't really go slack.  Try a few angles and its weird.  Then the snag start taking line....WOOO FAWKIN HOO...this big weight is alive!  

Within a few minutes I am about to be spooled so we are backing the Whaler down on this thing, but the noodly salmon rod is not giving me any real mojo on this heavy thing.  30-40 minutes later it is gets tired and I am gaining line slowly but surely and the the spool is almost full.  We are looking over the side for the first sign of color...plink...broke offfff!  AAARRGHHHH!

We will never know what in the heck it was, but damn it was heavy.  The pinnacle has been waypointed and we will return!  As disappointing as it was, the drama livened up a day of crabbing.  The entire way home we were plotting our revenge.

Other cool things included a big pod of Orcas, a first for me.  Truely badass looking animal.

Dawson308

:smt023 Thats awesome man.  Do you launch from the harbor?  We go camping at MacKerricher state park love it there.  BTW which folding crab traps did you use? I have been checkin em out.

Travis

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Dawson-we launch at Noyo and and run north to 10 mile, which is the beach just north of MacKerricher.  My buddies PB is awesome, so it doesnt take long.  We did over 30 knots on a 10 foot swell yesterday.

The traps I got are these...

They are different than most pop up style.  The afold up really small but turn into a 30" round trap.  The biggest difference though is the entrance size.  Most pop up style have small gates, these are almost 9" inches.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: scwafish
 We did over 30 knots on a 10 foot swell yesterday.

:jawdrop Holy crap!!! You guys are animals. What kinda boat is it?
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Captain Ron's boat is a 21 foot Boston Whaler Ventura.  It is the Outrage hull, with a side console layout.  On a day like yesterday with a long period there's nothing hardcore about it.  His boat rides incredible.  We were standing up, drinking beers, and watching the rain pour off of the full canvas, while we were nice and cozy.  It has a dive ladder, step through transom, live well, potty, and on and on.  All it takes is 50K and a wife that is more "understanding" than most.

Drool...

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
I hear that some giant squid have been caught up your way. Maybe???? thats what you had.  Anyway I liked the story I can feel the adrenaline pumping.

Ben_Ca

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Sean,
     Where did you get those crab traps?

Speaking of fishing I sent diving this weekend at Monterey and almost ended up on the other isde of the hook!  I'm pretty sure the guy cast at me since I had a marker up and the line ended up between my legs (I was horizontal).  

Ben
Tarpon 120

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Ya...Sean... where did you get your cool traps with the 9" openings?

You know I'm a fan of collapsible traps.  They just make good sense when you're crabbin on kayaks.  I'm sure they're not as durable as the popular Danielson box traps, but collapsibles cost less and you can haul more.  In the end, you'll catch more crabs for your money.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I got em here...http://www.seamar.com/sport_traps.html

Ben-Yikes!  Never been hooked, but i have had run ins with old line and it can be un-nerving.

anything