Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:10:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Just stabbing-no crabbing  (Read 4764 times)

Anonymous

Joel-get some gloves with some sort of thumb and finger abrasion protection.  You'll find if you start Ab'n you'll shred the tips of lesser gloves on pulls and grabbing rock to move yourself around in the slots.

Suits are different for everyone. I personally get cold easily and there'll be days when you could swear your swimming with ice cubes, so I opted for a one piece attached hood-7mil "Excel" suit.  It's awesomely warm at 20' down and it's really strechy.. the most important thing is the size though.  You have to get a suit that allows you to move freely and that doesn't compress you.  I've seen alot of guys days cut short because there suits were too small (rental) and constrictive.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
guest - thanks for the tips - but I don't plan on doing any abalone diving. I just want to pull a trigger on a fish  :smt002

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Have you had abalone?  It's very good stuff, and if you're diving up north, might as well pick a few abs too while you're in the water.  Spearfishing is probably best either north or south out of easy powerboat range of the harbors anyway, and that's an even split from HMB.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Yup - I've had abalone - tastes like calamari to me!

I rather shoot fish then pry abs - more action :smt063 You can't really stalk abalone  :snorkel

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
IME, rockfish lay on the rocks and wait for you to spear them, just like the abalone do, they have more faith in their spines than they aught to.   :smt003    Of the bunch, the greenlings are the most skittish, but their idea of 'too close for comfort' is still only around 6'.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I heard the blacks and the olives are pretty skittish - are they?

What about Perch?

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
I've not had any skittish issues with black/blues/olives.   The biggest problem I've had is that they come in schools and you have to decide which one to target.  The olives seem to hang with the black/blue schools and are usually a little bigger so I usually focus in on them when I see them.  I've gotten them with both poles and spears with not too much problem once you find the school.  That being said, I usually have scuba gear on when shooting so i have more underwater time.

-Allen

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Maybe I should do what Scwafish did - practice on shallow water with Perch before I move on to deeper water.

Any tips from free divers here - on how to practice shooting and holding breath?

I bet Stuart is getting nervous now....."Joel with a  loaded spear gun under water"  - "God help us all"   :smt077

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
You don't have to hold your breath when shooting perch since they're usually in 5 or 6' of water.   Just swim around until you find a school and start shooting.

Though the water is shallow, the surge can be a big issue, if you thought seasickness was bad on a kayak going up and down 6 feet,  try going up and down 3' and laterally back and forth 12' in a field of fluttering seaweed with nothing stationary as a reference point to help with the seasickness.  Then spend a couple minutes fiddling with your gun to reload.   :smt078   Perch eat puke.  I know...

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Joel-you can shoot in shallow water from the top but its not going to do much for your freediving skills, and as already stated its a surgy mess.  We were in anywhere from 5-25 feet that day, but I shot most in 10-15 feet while on the bottom.

jdyak

• Salmon
  • Joel fishing Linda Mar Creek 06
  • View Profile
Joel..

When I lived in San Diego in the late 80's we would use a hawaiian sling and spear rockfish at La Jolla shores.  We dove in about 15 to 20 feet and the sling was very accurate.  I've never used a gun but the slink was alot of fun.  I've also been scuba diving in some rough conditions and it's no fun.  One time the ocean was rough and we were doing a search and rescue exercise some where in orange county and I had to stay on the surface for a while.  When I finally dove down I puked underwater with regulator in mouth and also at the surface.  I never knew you could get seasick in the water but i found out.  So definetley pick a semi calm day.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.  - Herculites -
2006 NCKA BAM 1st place Catfish Winner

anything