Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Striper and Halibut Event!! San Pablo Bay, July 15  (Read 19292 times)

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
This sounds like it was a great event and I am sorry I missed out. Da Bruddah's report was fantastic and the part about a fish orgasim made me choke on my beer I laughed so hard.
Thanks for the laughs.

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Hey, it looks like the wood is mahogany!!
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Great event!  Thanks Jack for hosting and BBQ, Capt Frank for the safety/fish tips and live bait, and Michael (Da Bruddah) for helping coordinate this event and making it fun for a newbie like me.

This was my first NCKA event and had to join in on the fun since its so close to me.  Launched for a little scouting on Friday afternoon after work.  I'm terrible with names so please forgive me until I start meeting you guys more often.  Met another member Friday afternoon and we paddled around a towards the point (towards Brothers).  Marked a lot of fish and bait in the 8-14ft range and found tons of good structure.  Came back to land just in time for the safety meeting, where I met Ariel and was lucky enough to get some tips from him.

Saturday morning, arrived at 7am and OTW by 745am.  Saw lots of guys heading towards buoy 4 and the main channel.  I haven't done a ton of kayak fishing in the open bay and wasn't quite comfortable going out that far.  I didn't feel right bugging anyone to let me follow them cuz we're in a fishing comp, right?  Fished the left point but the current was really ripping, so a long paddle back towards the harbor.  Fished inside the harbor and just outside the mouth, ranging from 8-15ft.  1st fish was a 12" halibut at about 9am.  Paddled and drifted over the same area yielded 12" striper. 

By noon, I was out of live bait and sounded like most of everyone was out as well over the radio.  Decided to leave to pick up my pregnant wife and let her come watch the 2nd half of the day.  Called out on the radio that I'd go to Bay Tackle and pick up more anchovy popsicles and halibut rigs.  I literally was on the road at 12:30pm... and I would not return until 2:45pm.  The traffic on 580 towards the bridge was so crazy, took me 1.5hr to get back to the harbor.  Sorry to anyone who was waiting for bait or tackle from me. 

Back on the water for the last half of the incoming.  Back drifting at the mouth, yielded another 17.5" striper.  Darn, almost a keeper.  4pm, one hour left and I don't see anyone else on the water.  Starting to think I'm the only clown out here trying to catch fish.  I soon find everyone is passed out, napping, drinking, or waiting for the BBQ.  4:45pm, Jack radioes out if anyone is still out.  I fished until the last minute.  One last live anchovy and one more drift.  nibble nibble and I get a quick take down.  In the net and a 13" halibut.  Lucky last drift, better than nothing.  Go in and enjoy the food, beer, and great company.

Congrats to the winners.  My wife definitely approves me spending time away from her and our upcoming baby to fish with you all.  I hope to see you guys on the water more often.  Thanks for the good times.

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hey Kevin,
It was really great to hook up with you again!! You kind of introduced me to the ocean around Richmond. It was great to meet and talk to your wife and I am so happy for the both of you who are expecting your first baby in 4 mos., a boy!! You are going to be great parents!!
I would love to cook with you sometime. I think that we could come up with an awesome meal!!!
I told Jack that when the Harbor opens their restaurant, we would cook a meal together there. I think that sometimes I like cooking more than fishing!!
Mahalo Bruddah,
Michael

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

iroelikethat

• Fish! It's whats for dinner!
  • Sea Lion
  • 42 in the left 38 in the right-Feather River
  • View Profile JeffE's Myspace Page
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Yes, I did catch 18 Halibut! 10-18" (thanks for thew tip Dustin) The red can must have had a carpet of them! All shorts and one short striper. Traveled 12 mile on my Radar pedal yak.

Twelve divided by eighteen = .6666666666666 mpf.....   You are a demon!  :smt096   and Emma ate pig brain with me... it was good! :smt045
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. -Chinese proverb
South Bay Safety Squad - TEAM CAPTAIN  Screen name generator and General Instigator from Decatur

FKV-1 2005 Liquid Logic Manta Ray (Decommissioned)
FKV-2 2010 Hobie Outback (Decommissioned)
FKV-3 2014 Jackson Cuda (In-service)
FKV-4 2017 Hobie Outback (Inaugural Pacific Mission/ Christening - Albion- Aug 10th 2017)

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hey Jeff,
How was the pig brain. I must have been great because the rest of that roasted hog was to die for.
Sturgeon Tournament at the Yacht Harbor early 2018!!

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Great event!  Thanks Jack for hosting and BBQ, Capt Frank for the safety/fish tips and live bait, and Michael (Da Bruddah) for helping coordinate this event and making it fun for a newbie like me.

Yeah, it looked like an awesome time. Wish I hadn't had a "time" conflict.  :cry3

Kudos to everyone, hope to be there next year.

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

JacksDiving

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I apologize for the amount of time it has taken me to write this, however I have been extremely busy and most of my spare minutes have been spent with my family. ALso NCKA was down for a while for me... I dunno what was going on.  That being explained;

I wanted to personally thank each and everyone of you folks for making this first event happen smoothly and happily. There were a lot of people who paid for the event and couldn't show or just wanted to donate, so I wanted to throw a special thanks their way as well like Russ from Reno..off the top of my head.

Michael, The Bruddah! You are an amazing person and I am glad that you reached out to help and you and your wife wanting to become part of our group out here, Your thoughtfulness and willingness to bend over backwards for anyone anytime deserves a big shout out of love your way brother. It wouldn't have been the same without ya!

The response I got from the group of owners who heard and saw the event was a great one! They were impressed by how the group was organized and respectful of the land and property. They themselves want to be more involved for the event next year as well!

We now know after doing this event once how we an improve and hone in some things. The campground for next year will be similar, but more organized and we will have more accommodations for access like showers and restrooms(hopefully).  We will probably get a larger amount of live bait as we ran a little short and we will most likely have the kayak launch ramp in place (by the sporstmens club).

The future of the club(not the building) is uncertain as of right now, but I have a feeling that the bar or new operator will be willing to sponsor us in a similar way that the club did this year.  I will be planning the event much sooner and getting things lined up and tight months prior to the event.

I just wanted to say thank you again to all who participated and came out to experience this place I call home, and I am happy to have you back anytime!

PS: Anyone interested in a fish and chill Sturgeon tourney in Jan / Feb?

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Thanks again, Jack! I had a great time and that ended up being my first time on my yak all year.

Uhhh.....HELL YEAH!!

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Jack-

Thanks again for organizing this, it was an absolute blast to be a part of! Definitely looking forward to the next one.

NewFutureRon
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Thanks again, Jack! I had a great time and that ended up being my first time on my yak all year.

Uhhh.....HELL YEAH!!

What he Said ^

:smt006

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Cod Almighty

• AOTY Committee
  • Sand Dab
  • Less work, More fishing!!!!!!
  • View Profile California Canoe & kayak
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I'm into a sturgeon event there!!!!
NCKA AOTY Committee Member
Hobie Fishing Team Member
CCK Fishing Team Member
Licensed California Fishing Guide
4th place Angler of the Year 2017
Instagram @nick_chatelain

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Thanks for opening up your world to us Jack. That little harbor is a sweet spot for sure. I am all in on the sturgeon event.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014