Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:17:52 PM]

[Today at 12:54:54 PM]

[Today at 10:51:53 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Blue fin tuna?  (Read 1935 times)

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Every year the blue fin tuna show up near Monterey.  Word get out.  Somebody leaks the info on where they are.  The ships from Soc-Cal comes and in one or two days have the whole school in their ice boxes.

These ships have helicopters, chase boats and drag nets.  Why does this happen?  Loose lips sink ships.  They are listen on the radios and looking on the web.

The web is a mighty tool.  We can get fishing reports sometimes a few hours after they are finished fishing.   Or can decide not to go fishing because of the seas or reports were not good yesterday.

Don't underestimate the web.  Why can't we fish for rockcod year around?  Why was the Lings 28" last year.  Why will Salmon maybe closed in June?  It is not a endless resource as some may believe.

Ken kickfish

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
And we can start by not leaking 'secret lures' onto the web, so the fish can turn up their noses at the uninitiated's paltry offerings while waiting for a true fisherman to come along.   :smt003

I think we're kind of in a regulatory quagmire, over the last 10 years there's been fishery crashes and new regulations, such as Magnuson-Stevens Act, that've let the light into the embarassingly untidy dark corners where managment was asleep at the wheel.  Now they're scrambling for compliance and running stock assessments and landing surveys, and using that to put together management plans.  Unfortunately, until recently they had relatively little idea how many fish were out there, or how many were being caught or killed as bycatch.  So they're getting lots of new information, but since it's the only detailed information they have, every bad report must be acted upon - hence emergency closures, ect.  Once they've gotten good enough to take accurate data, and have collected it long enough to look at moderate term trends and averages of multiple studies, rather than single data points from inexperienced surveyors, things will calm down and hopefully improve.

Check out the info at: http://www.pcouncil.org/groundfish/gfsafe0604/gfsafe0604.html
for more than you ever wanted to know about our troubled, and not so troubled, fisheries.  There's tons of data there, but until recently, the data they collected didn't really matter much, so it was lower quality.  Now that every survey can have dramatic implications, the quality has improved because one side or the other raises hell when they think it's off.  I found it very interesting to read the stock assessments to understand the lifestyle of the various fishies down there.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Ken,

This forum is for sharing information, if you don't feel like sharing yours that is fine but please don't tell people not to share information here.

Don't underestimate the web. Why can't we fish for rockcod year around? Why was the Lings 28" last year. Why will Salmon maybe closed in June?

Gross mismanagment of the Kalmath water levels took care of the salmon, really bad science was the reason behind the rockcod/ling issues. These issues date back way before the web came into existence. Back in the early 1900's sturgeon where almost wiped out of the bay system. No web then.

Seriously man take a chill pill and keep on being a top secret dude and let us lesser fishermen learn from each other.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I used to rave about the albany bulb, but I keep quiet about that place now for the most part, since that spot is on the shore and much more fun when you're crew is the only people for half a mile, kicking back with coronas around the lantern.  OTOH, the ocean is pretty big, the only times I've seen it crowded was salmon fishing off moss landing.  Still, nobody is going to muscle in on 'your spot' because 'your spot' may cover 200 acres.

Perhaps this year I'll ab dive in some yak-in coves and maybe keep hush-hush about gps coords if they're paved with hub-caps.   I'll still share the secret with anyone that asks though.

For an entirely different reason, we may want to stay hush-hush about areas that we tend to catch canaries in...
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Why in the world would you be on a fishing message board if you did not want/expect the dissemination of fishing knowledge?

Is that not the ENTIRE point of such message boards?

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Ok guys I think we know where everyone stands on this. No need to rehash this...

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Quote from: kickfish
Don't underestimate the web.  Why can't we fish for rockcod year around?  Why was the Lings 28" last year.  Why will Salmon maybe closed in June?  It is not a endless resource as some may believe.

Ken kickfish

Soooooooo, its the internets fault I can't fish for rockcod year round :smt011 Damn that SOB Al Gore
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

anything