Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Speargun  (Read 1999 times)

Get The Net

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
So I am asking for a speargun for christmas, And I don't really know whats best. So I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations? Thanks!

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Rob Allen open muzzle Tuna 700 rail gun  :smt023

2nd choice would be a Pathos, Laser 75 open pro.

Merry Xmas :smt114
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:20:10 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

ryang85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I recomend the pathos a lot over the RA, but its mostly personal preference , go to a dive shop and see what you like more in person

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
I have an RA snapper 80cm I’m selling for $160. Brand new shaft never used, new bands.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I use a hammerhead evolution (gen 1)75cm and it's deadly accurate.i am a bad shot and I've got head shots on greenling
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

dirkbeachman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I have guns ranging from 55 to 120. Like a lot of people, I thought the old RA 90 was a good all round gun for most everything. But for northern CA, I have been going smaller and smaller, now my little 55 is the gun of choice, hands down.
The shorter the gun, the easier your shooting is into holes and under structure. But you have to be aware, the shorter it is the more carefully you have to aim. If you're, for instance, in Santa Cruz mostly going to be trying to shoot the biggest blue in a free swimming school, a longer gun will definitely be more accurate and a 90 isn't too long.
And on make, I have two Pathos guns and they are just so much better than the old RA, I can't believe it. It's like comparing a car made by Honda or Toyota in the last 20 years to an old Ford Mustang. The Mustang was cool, but so low tech and inefficient. You won't go back to a RA after a Pathos. But they are a little different, for instance, the line release is on left (it can be moved), the pins are smaller and easier to miss in rough or kelpy situtions. Once you get used to it they're great and much easier to aim accurately. Also, I got introduced to pneumatic guns a few years ago, again a different feel, but really nice and efficient for N Cal hole hunting. One hard shove of the shaft into the gun and you're loaded, compared to the sometimes finicky insertion of shaft end into the mech of a band gun (I can't count how many times my RA hasn't actually "caught" in the mech, only to come out when I try loading the first band), careful wrapping of the shooting line to retain the shaft, and then two separate band loads (yes, you can reduce that to one band). But still with a band gun you have at least four steps a couple of which have to be done pretty carefully, compared to only two for a pneumatic.
Good luck and dive safe!

DiveForFun

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I own an AB biller 24 and 32. Both are excellent choices for me. It really depends on what your going for and where you want to dive. My AB biller spearguns have been really good to me though. Many fish over the course of hat last several years with them

Zzz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
My Mako 60cm with a single band has served me well. Probably the best value on the market.

Here's a few reasons why I'm considering an "upgrade" to pathos 75 laser open pro with dual bands:
-It's what everyone else uses
-The reverse trigger mech packages 75cm worth of power into the same overall length as my Mako 60
-The finish on the barrel is nice and scratch resistant
-The stainless steel spear shafts don't oxidize. The carbon steel shafts on my Mako are marginally stronger, but hitting the shaft with abrasive and WD40 after each dive can get annoying

FWIW Pneumatics are loud and they will scare your dive buddies so stick with bands  :smt044

Get The Net

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I think I am going to go with the pathos laser open pro 60 cm!!!!!

dirkbeachman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
You won't go wrong with that. I was looking at that exact gun online to get for my daughter (which means I get to use it when she's not diving!). If I didn't have any guns or pole spears, knowing what I know now, I'd go with that exact gun.

Great choice for northern CA hunting.  You'll see a fair number of guys just reduce to one band, but if it comes with two try both ways for a while and see what you like. Good luck, hope you have some solid stringers!

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I think I am going to go with the pathos laser open pro 60 cm!!!!!

Can't wait to see you put it to use on those poor unsuspecting fishys  :smt001

Make sure you get a float line too unless you already have one. Don't want to lose it to Neptune.......because the ocean giveth  :smt007 and taketh away  :smt013

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:41:08 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

dirkbeachman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Cabeza has good advice adding a floatline. I've been through everything from rope to poly braid to gannet. But for up here, the guys at Red Triangle have this one called dark waters SKINNY. It's the bomb! Thin, much smaller and easier to pack, doesn't kink like some of the regular thicker float lines. It's also really stretchy. Be sure to get it in white tubing- if you leave your gun or (hopefully one of these years leave your ab iron) on the bottom on a dark day to mark something, the white is the only color that is easy to follow all the way down. The clear ones, regardless of what the color the cord inside is aren't nearly as easy to see.

Get The Net

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Cabeza has good advice adding a floatline. I've been through everything from rope to poly braid to gannet. But for up here, the guys at Red Triangle have this one called dark waters SKINNY. It's the bomb! Thin, much smaller and easier to pack, doesn't kink like some of the regular thicker float lines. It's also really stretchy. Be sure to get it in white tubing- if you leave your gun or (hopefully one of these years leave your ab iron) on the bottom on a dark day to mark something, the white is the only color that is easy to follow all the way down. The clear ones, regardless of what the color the cord inside is aren't nearly as easy to see.
I have never thought of using a float line, And I dont quite understand how it works. Is it attached to a bouy? does it float your gun? Also I feel like having all that line, and then if you go into shallower water then you have a lot of extra line that just tangles. Could you explain to me how it works? Thanks so much!

Zzz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
A floatline is a great tool

Attach one end to your gun, or ab iron, or marker weight and the other to a bouy

It allows you to retrieve your gun if you drop it, mark spots to come back to after you breath up, or retrieve a fish that is stuck in a hole

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I just let the loose end of my floatline trail free...that way it won't get hung up in kelp...

It can be a PITA sometimes but you will love it if you shoot a fish in a cave and can't get it out right away...just leave gun and go up and rest and then follow line back down to get it out once you are rested...

The pathos 60 is a great gun, but be aware that it isn't heavy enough to use as a marker for holes...if you drop it next to a hole it will most likely float/drift a little bit away.

I suggest at least a 50 foot floatline even for shallow diving...and if you start diving 40+ I would get a 75 footer...

75 seems like a lot, but it is nice to have extra laying on surface to help you find gun if you drop it...

Good luck dude!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

anything