Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: DOTY 2018...  (Read 1509 times)

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
First of all I wanted to say thank you to NCKA, the various committee members, and all the sponsors and players that have been involved with DOTY since 2012...

I have had a TON of fun organizing and playing DOTY over these past 6 years...

I have dove a ton of new areas, pushed myself to learn about and target different species, got countless firsts and PBs, made a bunch of new friends and dive buddies, and have really enjoyed being able to document the fish I've taken and look back on when and where I got certain fish, and being able to see how my fish compare to other fish taken by fellow divers over the years...

BUT...I'm burnt out!!  :smt005 :smt044 :smt005

DOTY is a year long game and there really is not any "downtime"...

The day to day fish verifying etc is not a big deal...

But securing sponsors and soliciting prizes and then following back up and making sure the prizes get delivered in time for the awards ceremony has gotten tiresome...and I think maybe more so for me because I also do the same for PIF and other raffles etc throughout the year...

I also spend A LOT of time thinking about the game and the format and changes we have made or haven't made and the impact it has etc etc etc...

Occasional technical issues, controversies, complaints, rule changes, organizing awards ceremonies etc also take energy and can be time consuming..

I'm proud of how DOTY has evolved and grown since fuzz, Rick and I started it in 2012...

But feel at some point I need to let it go and take a step back and redirect the energy and time I have put into it for 6 years into myself and my family...

I've been talking with fuzz, Amadeo, Sin Coast and Matt Lopez about this, and they can vouch that it is something that has been weighing on my mind for a long time...

Ideally I'd like to step down completely and let some other NCKA divers run it...but I have a feeling there may not be anyone interested in taking it on...and that is totally fine.

If no one else is interested in organizing it, we could just stop doing it...

But I DO think that would be a shame because the game is fun!

Especially for newer divers who can really get a lot out of the positive aspects of DOTY (fish ID skills, learning where/when/how to target diff species, keeping track of firsts and PBs, bragging rights and friendly competition with dive buddies etc).

One option would be to keep the game running but get rid of all the sponsors and prizes, and just have a Piscean Plaque for 1st place and Amadeo Prints for 2nd and 3rd (bought with registration fee $$).

This would cut out a LOT of work and effort and is something I can basically handle doing no problem...and I do enjoy meeting up with Piscean and Amadeo to drink beer and get the plaques/prints.  :smt002 :smt005

This option would still allow divers the chance to play DOTY if they wanted, but would cut out the prize/sponsor factor and bring the game down to more bragging rights/friendly competition and still give the top three a chance at taking home a cool plaque or print.

If any divers are interested in running DOTY in 2018 please let me know, otherwise I will be scaling back DOTY as described above.

Thank you all again for your support of DOTY!!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

ps...cuz it wouldn't be a BigJim DOTY post without some fish pics, here are probably my favorite 8 fish that I have taken over the past 6 years while playing DOTY....each one has an awesome story burned into my mind and I really enjoy looking back on their DOTY entries and remembering the adventures and experiences   :smt004 :smt008 :smt005
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:16:24 AM by BigJim »

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Thank you for all you do and have done with DOTY and PIF. I understand that it is a lot of work and time to run especially behind the scenes. Both myself and Silent Hunter greatly appreciate all your efforts in keeping it afloat.

The DOTY and JDOTY platform has encouraged us to get out there and set new PBs and goals.

We support whatever you decide.

Thanks again for all your support and encouragement over the years  :smt008
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Thanks for all you have done. 

DOTY has put me at a level I would not have accomplished without it. 

I think itÂ’s great for new divers and want to help in some way.  But I suck at calling people and asking for donations sounds like poking my eyes out might be less painful. 

Plaques and a couple raffle prizes would be good.  More focus on the JDOTY and getting new divers to participate would be something I would like to see.
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Adam415

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Thanks for everything you do Jim. I have no problem participating without the prizes. I have gained a ton and made a lot of friends from participating the last few years. Now I still like using it to post and track my fish and keep tabs on PB's.
Wilderness Systems Radar 135
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtFJdtY1W9M4MGfoz4Ndb8A

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
So far Wilderness Medic and DG have expressed interest in taking on running DOTY next year...

Anyone else want to work with them??

Lemme know soon, otherwise I will turn it over to them to get started on rule changes etc for next year starting on 1/1/18.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Jim,
Thank you for all that you do. I don't know how you managed to handle DOTY, PIF, work, family duties, and even some time to dive. Work and family already occupied all of my time.

"But securing sponsors and soliciting prizes and then following back up and making sure the prizes get delivered in time for the awards ceremony has gotten tiresome."
Well, if securing soliciting prizes is an issue, I would be happy to build and donate a custom teak gun for DOTY 2018. I still have some leftover teak from the first DOTY build. Just let me know.

ernest

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Jim,
Thank you for all that you do. I don't know how you managed to handle DOTY, PIF, work, family duties, and even some time to dive. Work and family already occupied all of my time.

"But securing sponsors and soliciting prizes and then following back up and making sure the prizes get delivered in time for the awards ceremony has gotten tiresome."
Well, if securing soliciting prizes is an issue, I would be happy to build and donate a custom teak gun for DOTY 2018. I still have some leftover teak from the first DOTY build. Just let me know.

ernest
That would be a great donation to start off 2018. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
You're the man.  Way to prioritize.  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.