Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:05:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How's my shopping list  (Read 4362 times)

Tinker

I had a longer shopping list when I first prepared to get in the ocean, and at least half that stuff - big dry bags, milk crates, rod holders on milk crates - is sitting alone and unloved, gathering dust in the garage.

Go slow, DIY all that you can and if you find it useful, then go shopping.

I use a stout tree limb, cut to size, as a fish bonker.  It's cheap, and it floats.  Never saw a reason to buy something to replace it.

saltynuts

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
+1 on hand whittled bonker, I like making what is needed or desired when possible but to each their own🌊🖖

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Don't know if anybody has mentioned it yet, but if fishing for halibut, I'd highly recommend a gaff. Trying to net a halibut (especially with your minimal 18" net) is a recipe for disaster, and a lip gripper is out of the question.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Don't know if anybody has mentioned it yet, but if fishing for halibut, I'd highly recommend a gaff. Trying to net a halibut (especially with your minimal 18" net) is a recipe for disaster, and a lip gripper is out of the question.

Lip gripper is plan C for sure, but it can work after the halibut has broken your rod while stealing your net in your futile attempt to net it  :smt044 I hope I never do that again!

I’ve never used a bonker, I get them on the game clip and cut the gills.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
OFFSHORE 30L Heavy Duty Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag & Cell Phone Case
http://a.co/6VwbmFf

Out of all the drybags/ boxes I've bought (too many? 7/3 respectively), I really only use a 5L surf-to-summit I bought to round out free shipping at sierra trading. It gets my phone, keys, wallet and that's all I take that needs to be dry. If I want to photograph something, I'll bring a small water proof camera I've got, or a $30 gopro knockoff in a waterproof housing. Not dropping my phone in the drink. No sir.  If I'm camping, I'll use the larger bags, but that's pretty much the only time I do.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Ditch the downrigger & fish bonker. Both unnecessary, unless you like whacking fish for shits & giggles. Which is an experience that most yakfishers should try at least once. But still not jecessary. Simply put fish on the gameclip [must add to your list!] and cut the gills.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Lip gripper is plan C for sure, but it can work after the halibut has broken your rod while stealing your net in your futile attempt to net it  :smt044 I hope I never do that again!

I’ve never used a bonker, I get them on the game clip and cut the gills.

Got video?
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Sup, guys?

I havenÂ’t read each and every response, so itÂ’s likely some of this has already been said...

- That VHF is probably just fine, but two brands are known to be the best: Standard Horizon and Icomm.

- You need a wetsuit or drysuit.

- You probably should try on PFDs in person and pick one that fits you and has pockets where you want them. (I like my NRS Chinook PFD, but there are other good ones on the market).

- YouÂ’ll want a safety knife of some sort to clip to your PFD. (I like my NRS CoPilot knife, and use it for all kinds of things.)

- I like to bring a Dexter “Cut and Gut” knife with me on the water. I bleed out all my fish, gut them, and pack them on ice in a fish bag.

- YouÂ’ll eventually want a nice fishfinder with GPS/chartplotter. (I like my Lowrance Hook 5).

- YouÂ’ll want a good rod holder if you donÂ’t have one already. (I like my Folbe.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
1. Practice Self Rescue and be able to do it successfully and fluidly without the aid of others.

2. Practice Self Rescue and be able to do it successfully and fluidly without the aid of others.

3. Practice Self Rescue and be able to do it successfully and fluidly without the aid of others.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

gentlemanscholar

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017