Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:58:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:20:36 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 11:38:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 11:16:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:23:17 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:37 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 06:46:00 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 06:45:26 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 06:45:01 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 04:51:41 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 02:40:25 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:38:26 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Russian River fishing?  (Read 909 times)

Mung

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I grew up fishing the small rivers of Louisiana in the Florida Parishes, north of La, but am now in Napa part time.  Napa River is pretty muddy and i've had no luck kayak fishing there.  I read about some canoe trips on the Russian River, and wondered if anyone fished there?  I would probably launch upriver of the memorial beach area, as that looks like where all the outfitters start.  Any lure suggestions?  Is there a water level posted online that i could check to ensure enough water to float?  Would consider launching at Geyserville or where Hwy 128 crosses a little downstream.  Also, is there public water access at these bridges?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Manta Ray 14'; Magic 14.5'

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Hmmm, I think I'd rather fish the Napa then the Russian, but it all depends on what you're after.

In the Napa you're probably better off trolling or casting noisy lures for stripers, or soaking shrimp baits for stripers and/or sturgeon. Fishing live mudsuckers or bullheads is also a fun way to target stripers.

If you're after smallies and the occasional LMB then the Russian is better. Someone else will need to chime in on locations and tactics, 'cause I've never fished it!

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Mung

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
where/what time of year are you fishing the Napa River for Stripers?  I've launched behind the college and fished my way upstream, and fished down in the marshes across from Cuttings Wharf.  No luck whatsoever, though I've never really targeted them.  Rattletraps?

bigmarv1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Mung, what are you hoping to catch? I live about a 1/4 mile from the 128 bridge in Geyserville. However is rather fish the Napa river or even the Petaluma river abs target either stripers or sturgeon.

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
There are no fish in the Russian River. Go away  :smt002

Water flows http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/rivcond.html

Good launches are steelhead beach, johnsons beach, and monte rio beach. Other launches are cloverdale river park and memorial beach in healdsburg. There is also shore access along the 101 north of
Cloverdale.

Go early to avoid the crowds of recreational river floaters. Use light gear since most of the fish are small sized.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

bigmarv1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
ThreemoneyJ where do you do your fishing? I'm hoping to be getting a yak for father's day.

Mung

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Mung, what are you hoping to catch? I live about a 1/4 mile from the 128 bridge in Geyserville. However is rather fish the Napa river or even the Petaluma river abs target either stripers or sturgeon.

Anything.  Sounds like smallmouth bass and the occasional largemouth.  I like to throw artificials.  RR just looks nicer than Napa River, but Napa is in my backyard, so if I could figure it out I'd fish there all the time.  Not all that excited about bottom fishing though.

bigmarv1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Trolling for stripers is good in the Napa. Otherwise it's bottom fishing. If you head over here to the Russian let me know and I'll try to hook up with you.

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
ThreemoneyJ where do you do your fishing? I'm hoping to be getting a yak for father's day.

My favorite float on that river is steelhead beach to johnsons beach. Steelhead to Monte Rio is an all day float, and Johnsons to monte rio is pretty short.

I've caught exactly zero largemouth in the Russian, but tons of smallies. Also squawfish and bluegill. Oh and shad right now an steelhead in the winter.

Oh, and the occasional lost sturgeon too... (Not me in the picture. Circa 1998 and hanging in kings sporting goods in guerneville)
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

bigmarv1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I've heard from a few friends there's some good schools of stripers in the river as well. I'm new to this yak world but love catching.

butete

• SCSS
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
:smt044 :smt044

stopped to take a break a month ago at a turnout a mile and a half from the mouth and saw 3 huge steelhead swimming by...
my buddy threw in a sardine(all we had) and pulled in a 12lb+- catfish

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

stopped to take a break a month ago at a turnout a mile and a half from the mouth and saw 3 huge steelhead swimming by...

Be careful. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks allowed between April 1 and October 31.

Sounds like a fun day, though!

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006

Be careful. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks allowed between April 1 and October 31.

Sounds like a fun day, though!

That includes Scents too..however you can still put out crawdad traps w/bait...as long as it doesn't involve line/hook/bait it`s good
Plus a mile and a half from the mouth with put you in the Marine Protected Area. Be careful   
~MarcosM~

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
where/what time of year are you fishing the Napa River for Stripers?  I've launched behind the college and fished my way upstream, and fished down in the marshes across from Cuttings Wharf.  No luck whatsoever, though I've never really targeted them.  Rattletraps?
Troll Rattletraps, plastic swimbaits, Hair Raisers, Rebels,  etc. Anything that mimics a baitfish really. Work the channel edges and stay out of the middle of the river for the most part. If you have a fishfinder, paddle until you see marks and either troll or cast your offering of choice. Fishing is usally good in the summer but really gets going in the fall. Check the sloughs too, especially in the lower river. Just mind the current in the sloughs - some are pretty narrow and it can rip through there on an a good outgoing.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game