Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:43:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: My new PA 14  (Read 1687 times)

butlerfishing

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Finally was able to pick up my new Hobie PA 14 Camo Edition the other day. Now all I need to do is rig it up, get all the safety gear and get out crabbing and fishing.  Thanks to Jon at Pacific Outfitter in Eureka for all of help. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Nice looking boat.  Keep doing your core exercises and careful on your back!  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Congrats on the new ride.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Fish67

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Finally was able to pick up my new Hobie PA 14 Camo Edition the other day. Now all I need to do is rig it up, get all the safety gear and get out crabbing and fishing.  Thanks to Jon at Pacific Outfitter in Eureka for all of help. 

How do you like it? I am also looking into purchasing a PA14. Will you be taking her to the bay or delta?

butlerfishing

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016

How do you like it? I am also looking into purchasing a PA14. Will you be taking her to the bay or delta?

I love it so far.  I have had it out on Humboldt Bay a few times and it handles great.  Handles waves fine, great for peddling in against the tide and does not seem to be affected by the wind too bad.  I also like the storage capacity and the overall weight rating.  I am hoping to have it out on the ocean and Trinidad Bay either Wednesday or Friday of this week.  I still have a little bit of tinkering to do as far as organizational layout.  But I should have that figured out this week.   If you have the opportunity to demo one take advantage of it.  That way you know what your getting into.  They are heavy to load and unload and can be a pain if you plan on doing a beach launch that is a long walking distance away from the parking lot.  But overall I am pleased with my investment.

Fish67

• Salmon
  • View Profile

I love it so far.  I have had it out on Humboldt Bay a few times and it handles great.  Handles waves fine, great for peddling in against the tide and does not seem to be affected by the wind too bad.  I also like the storage capacity and the overall weight rating.  I am hoping to have it out on the ocean and Trinidad Bay either Wednesday or Friday of this week.  I still have a little bit of tinkering to do as far as organizational layout.  But I should have that figured out this week.   If you have the opportunity to demo one take advantage of it.  That way you know what your getting into.  They are heavy to load and unload and can be a pain if you plan on doing a beach launch that is a long walking distance away from the parking lot.  But overall I am pleased with my investment.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Please let me know how it does in the ocean.

I've sat in it to get the feel of how big it is and I'm ok with the weight. Unfortunately, the kayak place I went to was not near the water. I did rent a big tuna and paddling that thing was pretty bad, but felt stable. I'm sure the PA14 will be so much better. I just want to make sure it'll be ok in the ocean or bay. I don't want to be flipping that thing over.

Cool mustang! I too have one, but a 67. [emoji3]

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006

I've sat in it to get the feel of how big it is and I'm ok with the weight. Unfortunately, the kayak place I went to was not near the water. I did rent a big tuna and paddling that thing was pretty bad, but felt stable. I'm sure the PA14 will be so much better. I just want to make sure it'll be ok in the ocean or bay. I don't want to be flipping that thing over.

This won't be any easier to paddle than the big tuna! But then again it wasn't meant to be paddled..  make sure to have spare parts and the ability to flip this back over if something happens. Paddling this home will not be an option in any rough conditions, bring tow line too.
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016

This won't be any easier to paddle than the big tuna! But then again it wasn't meant to be paddled..  make sure to have spare parts and the ability to flip this back over if something happens. Paddling this home will not be an option in any rough conditions, bring tow line too.
You guys need to get out of California your getting too damn soft... I have a Big Tuna and it paddles just fine for me (17 yr garbageman) and not the fluffy truck does the lifting kind!!!! I can't match distance with The outback guys I fished with but speed and turns were never an issue...... muscle up buttercups  :smt044

Now in all honasty I have been in the surf soincycle in several boats and the tuna was the easiest to surf upright. Also has a guy go out of PC with us in one, he stayed upright but had a hell of a time getting the find out once we landed standing in 3 ft of water.... had the BOAT between himself and the open ocean instead of the beach... got steam rolled when the first wave hit. If you roll that in open water =
1. It would be the first I have heard....
2. Have a line you can clip off a rail throw over and possibly reboard upside down then Wright it like a catamaran

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Fish67

• Salmon
  • View Profile

You guys need to get out of California your getting too damn soft... I have a Big Tuna and it paddles just fine for me (17 yr garbageman) and not the fluffy truck does the lifting kind!!!! I can't match distance with The outback guys I fished with but speed and turns were never an issue...... muscle up buttercups  :smt044

Now in all honasty I have been in the surf soincycle in several boats and the tuna was the easiest to surf upright. Also has a guy go out of PC with us in one, he stayed upright but had a hell of a time getting the find out once we landed standing in 3 ft of water.... had the BOAT between himself and the open ocean instead of the beach... got steam rolled when the first wave hit. If you roll that in open water =
2. Have a line you can clip off a rail throw over and possibly reboard upside down then Wright it like a catamaran

Haha!! The big tuna I rented didn't have a rudder and I believe I was given a short paddle, but it's most likely to the lack of skills. [emoji3] however, if I'm getting a big kayak, I would think peddle is much better.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016

Haha!! The big tuna I rented didn't have a rudder and I believe I was given a short paddle, but it's most likely to the lack of skills. [emoji3] however, if I'm getting a big kayak, I would think peddle is much better.

My Big Tuna don't have a rudder if I want to go left I paddle on the right if I want to go right I paddle on the left.... never figured out the whole rudder for a paddle yak, sail or peddle yes but come on it's basic hydraulics

Shhhh don't tell anyone but I have two Native Propels ( keep that between you and me) hush hush

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges