Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:41:59 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Advice on purchasing yak from CL  (Read 3711 times)

Specimanic

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Hi everyone!

I'm looking at picking up an older model (not sure the year - orange, with belted front hatch) OK Prowler 13 from CL and wanted to check in with you all whether there is anything I should look out for?
I see that there was sometimes an issue with bad joining at the scupper holes, leading to water inside the yak. This setup looks well-used, so not too worried about that.

From the pictures it looks to be in good condition, but the deal is crazy good so my skeptic bells are ringing. $350 for kayak, plus paddle, fish finder, rudder system, aftermarket seat, livewell + pump. From what I can tell total value is well over $800.

Should I jump? I want to jump.

By the way, this will be my first yak and I plan to do mostly bay and inshore fishing but want the option to go offshore as well (when ready). Also, I'll be car-topping this alone so need something on the lighter side.

-Speci

bryan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Price is super cheap. It cold be an older model and cheaper fish finder but there is a possibility that it needs some work i got my trident for like 700ish when it wad only about 3 or 4 years old. But they are super nice boats so as long as nothing is wrong with it and your sure its not a stolen boat id hop on it. As far as age i believe the serial number has the year it was made at the end or something like that.

Tinker

Yeah, the last two digits are the manufacturing year, the letter before that is the month.

I thought all of the OK Prowlers were 12-foot boats.  If it's an OK Prowler Trident 13, that's a different boat.

A friend owns an OK Prowler Big Game (12ft) and I own an OK Prowler Trident 13.  He lifts his onto bars on his truck cap with no problem and not a lot of effort.  I lift mine onto ladder racks on my truck - but I end up breathing harder.    :smt001

Mijo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
The OK prowlers did come in 13 footers. I have one.  I think the "trident" series came right after. 

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Maybe ask to fill it with water to see if any water leaks out.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
You'd be shocked how many people don't bother turning over the kayak to look for any gouges on the underside or run their fingers down through the scupper holes to feel for cracks or issues with the molding. I've bought two kayaks from CL, and sold two kayaks through CL ... both were good experiences. CL gets a bad name because the weirdos are just that freaking weird. Ninety percent of people that I've dealt with on CL have been great.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game