Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:48:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:47:21 PM]

[Today at 11:34:08 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fly Line for Jetty Fishing  (Read 5790 times)

Gary

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
Hi All, I want to start by acknowledging this isn't a question about fishing from a kayak, but I figure it there is a lot of commonality between fishing from a jetty and from a kayak in terms of the depths of water one might encounter (I'm talking between 10-30 feet or so). Currently I fish a floating weight-forward line and try to control the depth of the fly by the length of my leader (I usually just fish a single piece of mono or flouro leader and heavy flies). Eventually the tip will sink. I have caught most of my fish using this setup in about 10-15 feet of water. What's your opinion on the best type of fly line to fish in this situation? Full sinking? Sink tip? Something else? How important do you consider the leader/tippet to be in this scenario? Thanks!

Tinker

Get in contact with surfs12foot.  He's the only person I know who fished jettys exclusively with a fly rod and he's a heck of a Source for that kind of information.  Just don't tell him Tinker sent you...   :smt003

Gary

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks - I will! I mean I won't!

peterjmaes

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
I use a shooting head with amnesia behind it.  A type 6 shooting head works its way down pretty fast and is good for the depths you are taking about.  I fish shallower in the delta and I use this setup with a slower sinking type 3.  And it casts really well, even in high wind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I'm sorry I forgot what amnesia was. :smt044
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:58:27 AM by reelfish »

yatzmail@yahoo.com

surf12foot

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Go with what peterjmaes says. You can do a inter. running line (A little thicker if you have problems grabbing  the line) too. I run a inter. running line with 15ft. of T- 20.Your going to wear the line out plus loose many heads to rocks and kelp and the barnacles so it needs to be simple to change out and fairly cheap, as compared to loosing a whole fly line  :smt089. Leaders nothing fancy here as you already know- go with what you trust and keep it short max length 4ft. of straight mono or flouro. The fish around the jetty are not leader shy.(check the leader after every few cast for nicks,rough spots and anything else that's out of the norm and change the leader out if any of these show up right away. Don't get personal with the set up or your flies you are going to loose stuff. Break off and move on there are fish out there waiting for your fly. Helpful hint: try if you can cast somewhat parallel to the jetty, more fish environment that you can cover than casting straight out from the jetty.
Scott

Tinker

Yea!  It's my turn!

Everything peterjmaes and surf12foot said, BUT if you have nimble fingers, spey-casting folks like to use 40# Berkley Big Game monofilament as their shooting/running line.  I've only been practicing with it, but it casts a long, long, way, holds up well on my gravel driveway, and I can buy big spools of it at Wally World.

I'd add to what others have said that if you decide to use sink tips at the end of a level running/shooting line, I'd suggest tying on ~12" of 25#-30# monofilament between the sink tip and the leader to reduce the hinge a heavy tip can create.

Gary

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Great information guys - thanks a lot. This year I'm trying to focus on my fly skills and getting my equipment dialed-in. The guy on the youtube channel FishJonesBeach just did a jetty fly fishing video that was pretty fun to watch.

Gary

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

I'd suggest tying on ~12" of 25#-30# monofilament between the sink tip and the leader to reduce the hinge a heavy tip can create.

When you say "tie on" does that include using the loop to loop connection, or do you recommend a different method?

Tinker

Loop-to-loop, Gary.  I weld loops in bulk T-18 using RIO Level-T shrink tubing - it's not hard to do it yourself if you own a heat gun - but I understand The Fly Shop in Redding will add loops to any length of bulk sink tip if you ask them.  Other shops may be doing the same, I just know about The Fly Shop.

I haven't used an Airflo polyleader or similar products but those may not even need the heavy section of leader.  Maybe someone who has experience with them will let us know.

My line runs from the backing to the running line to a T-18 sink tip to the heavy section of leader - all of those are loop-to-loop connections.  I tie the lighter part of the leader to the heavier section of leader with whatever knot my fingers will tie that day - usually a triple surgeon's knot because putting together a blood knot almost always gets me to cussing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:42:42 PM by Tinker »

Gary

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks once again - it's taking me a little while to wrap my mind around all this advice. Last year was my first season fishing the Bay with a fly rod and I just DIY'd it and somehow managed to catch a few fish. You guys are really helping me speed-up the learning process.

I have to mention that I caught my first 'butt (short) this year a few days ago on a weighted surf candy type fly I made earlier that day! I'm hoping to make that a more regular occurrence. The little escape artist got away before I could snap a picture  :smt089

Tinker

I have to mention that I caught my first 'butt (short) this year a few days ago on a weighted surf candy type fly I made earlier that day!

Don't you love it when that happens?

The little escape artist got away before I could snap a picture  :smt089

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Gary

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Alright, we're going to give some of this advice a test over the weekend. I'm not used to thinking of heads and running lines as being separate things, so I had to figure out what y'all were talking about! I'm fishing a 9 foot 10 weight rod with 9-10 weight floating line. I like it for the oftentimes tight urban casting situations I find myself in (I can easily steeple cast back up over a chain link fence or bushes) but I don't get much distance. Also I suck at casting and have no point of comparison against a spey rod. The wind really screws me up and limits where I can cast to. Anyway, for now I'm planning to keep this setup and try a sink tip. Thanks Tinker for the idea of softening the hinge point - I've seen (videos) how a heavy sink tip hinges over after the head hits the water and ker-plops - not a pretty sight. Duck-and-chuck casting is no fun, either.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
All this awesome detail, here I clicked on this thread thinking you were gonna throw a live bait on a fly liner hook and send it on its merry way.  Good fishing with your fly gear from a jetty... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

anything