Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:26:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: OK 13 DIY Rudder  (Read 15992 times)

4x4Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Building a rudder for an Ocean Kayak Trident 13.  Borrowed a friends rudder (OK 13) and made templates from cardboard.  Transferred templates to Aluminium sheet.  Question is, has anyone made their own rudder before?  Can't seem to part with $200 when I can easily make one.  Thinking about vacuum bagging a carbon fiber rudder blade too.  I have the shop/tools and fabricating experience just wanted tips or opinion if anyone has made their own rudder.  -Matt
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:06:18 AM by 4x4Yak »

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Matt, you might be on your own on this one! I do not see too many rudders on yaks OTW probably the added cost. If you can manufacture for half I am sure you'd find a market. Most think they don't need one, but they have also never used one. I love mine for paddling in high winds and trolling, I can never go w/o, well at least until you finish using mine as a template anyway! Rob
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Lets try it on Bowman in the spring.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have not made a rudder myself, although it is definitely something I am interested in doing one of these days. I just need to find someone with an OK rudder that they will allow me to take apart. :smt003 If you ever get the templates drawn electronically, I would love a copy.

I was thinking of cutting all the pieces out of aluminum, but without all the fancy slots cut out. Are all the pieces make of aluminum? And what gauge are they? Are any pieces made of plastic? I plan to use 0.25" tubing from a drip system to house the rudder cables. The only assemblies that I would have to buy are the rudder tracks. Surely this should cost less than $200.

This is where I got the idea: http://www.wix.com/mobykraft/website#!kayaks-&-canoes. Note that his original aluminum rudder was too thin, and he suggests making one out of fiberglass. Carbon fiber would work too.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

pao

There seems to be a bit of DIY/homemade rudders on youtube.  You should be able to build them for a cheaper price then retail.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:14:10 PM by yester »

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Matt,

I assume you saw this one..

http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/phpBB/topic20151.html

the retractable part is missing, would be a bummer in kelp not to bea able to pull it up

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I'd be afraid of damaging or breaking a carbon fiber rudder.
I've hit mine on rocks pretty good before
~MarcosM~

4x4Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for the info...keep it coming.  Did some measuring and horizontal part of the stock rudder is about 3/16" thick and the rest is 1/8" thick.  Bought some material from Blue Collar Supply in Sac.  Going to use all 1/8" thick.  Tricky part is going to be welding the pieces together.  I would need to set up the wire feed with shielding gas and switch to aluminum wire.  Another option would be using the heat and melt stuff kinda like soldering but not sure of the strength of the weld.  As for the slots in the stock rudder i am going to just drill a bunch of holes instead.  Going to make a few at one time...think its easier that way.  -Matt
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:17:34 AM by 4x4Yak »

INSAYN

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
If you are going to weld the aluminum, I would highly recommend doing so with a TIG.
Wire feed will work, but keeping 1/8" aluminum sheet from warping will be your toughest battle. 
The TIG will allow for better heat control. 
"If voting could really change things, it would be illegal"

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Another option would be using the heat and melt stuff kinda like soldering but not sure of the strength of the weld.
Matt, brazing is a PITA if you have to do more than one braze between two pieces of metal. After you get the first braze done, when you try to heat the metal hot enough for the second braze, your first braze would come undone. It is possible for some situations, but definitely not easy.
The strength of the braze is quite strong, more than enough for a rudder setup.

ernest

4x4Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I've done plenty of MIG and ARC welding so TIG may be the way to go.   First i need to cut everything out and sand down smooth.

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Is the thickness of the rudder blade only 1/8"? Will that be strong enough, or will that bend if you have a bad landing?

Let us know how the welding goes. From your picture it looks like you are cutting out parts for 4 rudders? Can I call dibs for one of them? :smt003
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:19:39 PM by krusty »

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Be sure to get a turtle blade for your jig cuts Bosch are good. Probably going to get a fair amount of vibration too with that thickness so you may want a plywood backing . I've got a scrap sheet if you want it

INSAYN

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Be sure to get a turtle blade for your jig cuts Bosch are good. Probably going to get a fair amount of vibration too with that thickness so you may want a plywood backing . I've got a scrap sheet if you want it

Or find a friend with a plasma cutter.  You can cut it quicker with better accuracy, no chatter, and it won't warp if you move fast enough. 
"If voting could really change things, it would be illegal"

anything