Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GrandFathers day fishing Derby Sept. 10 Moss Landing  (Read 2175 times)

Shark

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Kayak Connection will be relocating the grandfathers day tournament from Santa Cruz harbor to Moss Landing harbor, September 10. 
Go to Kayakconnection.com to download the entry form and liability release.
This change in location will give fishermen more of an opportunity to catch fish.  Awards ceremony and lunch will be at the Elkhorn Yacht Club.
Wilderness Systems will be sponsoring this event and donating a first place prize of a kayak.

The First of its kind fresh water fishing contest held on fathers day this past June was a real treat.  We had 33 kayak fishermen compete for a Ocean Kayak Prowler.  Chris Baugh took first with a 3lb. 11 oz. largemouth bass.  Eddie Evans (4 yrs old) took first place in the junior division with a 11 oz. trout.  Lots of fish caught, kids, and new faces makes Loc Lomond a great place to return to next June for our annual fathers day tournament.  Mark your calendar.

All the entry fees are donated to the Monterey Bay Salmon and Trout Project . www.mbstp.org .   Founded in 1976, the Monterey Bay Salmon and Trout Project (MBS&TP) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the restoration and enhancement of the native salmon and steelhead populations of the greater Monterey Bay area. To accomplish the goals of the MBS&TP has developed three major programs:
    * Coho Salmon and Steelhead
    * Chinook Salmon Enhancement
    * Salmon and Trout Education (STEP)
Over 240,000 King Salmon were released from our new Santa Cruz and Moss Landing pens in May and June 2005.

Happy Hunting
Mark Pastick
Kayak Connection

PS
Hammerhead Shark attacks Tarpon on video in Florida Keys.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qjWQNwv-GJ4

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

:shark
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
What are the rules?  Fish anywhere and weigh-in at Moss? 

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Thanks Mark,

I shall see you there :smt003

Alex

Shark

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Grandfathers kayak fishing Contest Rules 9/10/06, thoughts and other items of interest

Kayak Fishermen
Before we get into it.
Check out this great article about our Annual June Fathers day derby by Dan Bacher http://www.fishsniffer.com/dbacher/060713loch.html

On line registration for this event is not available for the Grandfathers contest.
You can sign up by calling 8314791121 or visit our kayak offices in Moss Landing or Santa Cruz.  The Grandfathers kayak fishing contest will start at 7 AM from the north harbor launch ramp in Moss Landing  http://www.mosslandingharbor.dst.ca.us/index2.htm.  Registration will be open 6 - 7 AM at the M.L. launch ramp morning of the contest.  This will be a group start which equals the competition among the competitors. The person who catches the heaviest legal edible fish will win a Wilderness Systems Tarpon fishing kayak.
Rules:
1. Fishermen are required to start from the launch ramp, paddle out to the fishing grounds and back.  As Jim Sammonds says “Kayak Fishermen are kayakers first and fishermen second”.
2. Must comply with the Sate Department of Fish and Game laws.
3. Must sign a liablity release.  (Kayak Connection)
4. Must weigh in at launchramp before 12 noon.
Contact Bayside Marine for fishing license, equipment, and fishing reports.

Please take kayaking in the ocean at Moss Landing very seriously (they call the entrance JAWS).  It is no a protected harbor like Santa Cruz.  There is a sizable current, few places to land, bigger boats, and other hazards.  This will be the only event Kayak Connection sponsors outside the M.L. harbor.  Over the 5 plus years I’ve been involved with kayak fishing contests I’m well aware of how serious kayak fishermen are.  I will have a rescue boat ready and will be listening to channel 68 VHF.  If you are carrying a phone you can contact kayak Connection @ 8317245692 for assistance.

Please park on the north side of the Elkhorn Yacht Club.  Launch your kayak first.  Major construction is going on at North harbor with a new launchramp, fishing pier, and other renovations taking place so the main parking lot is closed.  Parking costs $2 per car.

There are fish in Moss Landing.  Here are some of my suggestions on where to go:
Inside the harbor you can catch halibut and perch.

Just outside the harbor between the green can and North Jetty is a secret halibut hot spot (don’t tell anyone)

South of the harbor is what we refer to as the boil.  Its a warm warter upwelling from the power plant.  This is a great place to catch live bait, thresher shark, bass,  and other fish.

.75 miles from the harbor entrance is the mile bouy.  Fishing about 100 yards north of this is the Monterey Canyon.  Any fisherman worth his weight in gummy worms will tell you that fish will hang out at steep drop offs this drop off is about 1/2 mile deep.

Headiing along the coast beach outside the north side of  the jetty.  You can troll for stripper.  Although no one has won a contest yet catching a Sand Dab this is also a Sand Dab hotspot. 

About 2 miles north of the Jetty in front of the Pajaro Dunes is a rock pile that is good rock fish, halibut, and cod fishing.

Last week a whale was hanging out at the mouth of the harbor and the wildlife is abundant with the annual migration starting,  bait fish filling the Slough, and  hundreds of elegant terns flying around in a constant state of panic.

Do not disturb the raft of 40 sea otters that are hanging around the north harbor entrance,  Earlier this season a fisherman made national headlines for running over the raft.  Friends of the Wildlife are watching (filming)you.

GET TO THE WEIGH IN AT THE LAUNCH RAMP BEFORE 12.
Lunch and Awards will be at the Elkhorn Yacht Club next to the launch ramp.

Good Luck
I predict the winner bringing in a monster
Mark Pastick
Kayak Connection
Grandfathers Day kayak fishing contest organizer

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
AAARGH! I have in-laws in town all weekend. I'll try to make it. Thanks Mark!

-Sean
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I'm registered - looking forward to this event  :headbang:

Travis

I'm thinking about going.  Does anyone know how long of a drive Moss Landing is from Sacramento?  Are there any good places to camp around here if I decide to head down tonight?  I don't want to have to get up at 2am and make that drive.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 01:28:51 PM by Travis »

KayakBuilder

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Travis,
It's 1 1/2 hrs from San Jose using 101 south to Castroville exit (more easy of a drive, but longer mileagewise) to Hwy 1 north a few miles. There is a state campground 1 mile north of the bridge and thats the yacht club location.
Craig

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Lemme see.. It's 2 hours from Sac to where I live and then another 1.5 hours in regular traffic, so about 3.5 hours. If it's good traffic you might be able to shave off about 30 min. As far as camping goes there's some north of Monterey in Santa Cruz. New Brighton Beach and Sunset Campround. There's also a KOA near Sunset.

http://search.parks.ca.gov/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=161&EXTRA_ARG=&CFGNAME=MssFind%2Ecfg&host_id=42&page_id=16253440&query=Monterey&hiword=Monterey+

http://search.parks.ca.gov/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=161&EXTRA_ARG=&CFGNAME=MssFind%2Ecfg&host_id=42&page_id=16450048&query=Manresa&hiword=Manresa+

http://search.parks.ca.gov/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=161&EXTRA_ARG=&CFGNAME=MssFind%2Ecfg&host_id=42&page_id=16384512&query=Santa+Cruz&hiword=Santa+Cruz+

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 02:51:47 PM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

anything