Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:13:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 08:46:36 AM]

[Today at 08:45:08 AM]

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

When you see an unsafe situation, when do you say something?

Always
23 (38.3%)
Sometimes
35 (58.3%)
Never
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Topic: When you see an unsafe situation, when do you say something?  (Read 3685 times)

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Scott thanks for the rescue.  You are THE MAN!

I vote "Always," but have to admit these days I sometimes let things go especially with recreational yakkers in a crowded spot.  I'd say I am always always if they are out for fishing.  Their stupidity reflects on all of us.

RBark- I noticed the same thing with your guys.  And, I had the same thought.  this was a full house plenty of rescuers around.  Also, all you guys are pretty well-insulated (LOL).

I insist people wear proper clothing and pfd's when we go out together.  My favorite story is one guy I gave a bunch of shit to for no pfd, Next week I see him on the water and give him some more shit, he got defensive- "I DO have a pfd, it's inside my front hatch!"  PFD 201.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

barefoot1

• Sea Lion
  • The world needs more fruitcakes.--J. Buffet
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Darwin's theory in action!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
- Mark Twain

bpowa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
In that situation I would just mention to be careful.

It also depends of their attitude. Some people can be a holes if you say anything or comment. Even if its for their own good.

Also, this is shadow cliff.  Im sure most people can make it to sure with a PFD.

The lifeguard is right. Its the renters responsibility to ask. More of the responsibility is on the renter. Im sure they lied about having kayaked before. So what makes them take your advice...  Eventually people are going to make the call to do what they want.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
30 + years with Uncle Sam have taught me a few things, one is I am not invincible, two what is safe for one person, will scare the crap out of someone else. 

I have watched and read of many of you going out and challenging yourselves in conditions or after species that maybe should not be pursued in a kayak, but you did it anyways and we saluted you for doing it.  Shortly there after there is a rush for others to try it.  It is both a blessing and a curse. We make video's of our accomplishments, we tempt fate, and we bring others into the fold.  Hopefully with the end result of expanding  both our own knowledge and that of the newb we bring out there. But ultimately, are we not also opening the possibility for someone with false bravado to try something that many of us would not try?

When your teenager everything looks easy, now at 51, I look at things and say, maybe not today.  I salute the Mantaska's GB2's, BigJim's and Abking's who make our sport look easy, but like every sport, that easiness came after years of dedication and failures to get to a point where it became a seem less Zen like perfection.  Hats off to you guys!
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Some memories come back to me.  Over 10 years ago when I was private boater.  We came back from Santa Cruz Harbor after Albacore tuna fishing.  The weather was really nasty.  As we were tied up at the dock there was small boat about 12 to 14 ft.  Inside the boat are both parents, a new born infant and 2 kids under 8 years old. 
I told the Dad not to go outside the harbor because the wind was blowing hard and the waves were big.  Well he didn't believe me and still went out.  To my relief they came back in after 15 minutes.

A few years ago at SWS my buddy and I cut our trip short because the weather changed for the worst. 
Back at the beach we came across 3 males with scuba and spearfishing gear.  I warned them 3 times not to go out.  They didn't believe and still launched.  One guy told they drove all the way from Sacramento.  I don't know what happened to them. 

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:58:27 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
" BUT I DROVE ALL THE WAY FROM..."
 :smt009
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I always say something, but I understand why someone would not want to say anything. The last time I made a safety observation I made some people very unhappy the last time I stuck to my guns on an obvious safety issue.
IF YOU DON'T SAFETY HARD, DON'T TALK TO ME.

I just figured out what you guys are talking about.  Missed all the drama the first time around and everything was deleted I guess but I got the gist of it.  I can't say I'm at all surprised.

Now I'm sad.  :(
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
30 + years with Uncle Sam have taught me a few things, one is I am not invincible, two what is safe for one person, will scare the crap out of someone else. 
I have watched and read of many of you going out and challenging yourselves in conditions or after species that maybe should not be pursued in a kayak, but you did it anyways and we saluted you for doing it.  Shortly there after there is a rush for others to try it.  It is both a blessing and a curse. We make video's of our accomplishments, we tempt fate, and we bring others into the fold.  Hopefully with the end result of expanding  both our own knowledge and that of the newb we bring out there. But ultimately, are we not also opening the possibility for someone with false bravado to try something that many of us would not try?
Kevin, thank you. This is brilliant and I agree completely. Couldn't have said it better. 
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Kevin, thank you. This is brilliant and I agree completely. Couldn't have said it better. 

Maybe someone can find some of those original Bean Hollow threads. Exactly what you are saying Kevin.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
gotta know your limits :smt006 and limits can change over time certainly.
Mine are right about there in that pic...but not quite :smt002
 that was not a newbie day for sure.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.