Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:00:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:56:41 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Ling and Risotto Recipe  (Read 1716 times)

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
We had family in town all week and they requested fresh fish, being that their from NY and AZ and don't have the opportunity to eat really fresh fish. Of course casa de Keener had to oblige.

If you have any questions about specifics of the recipe, let me know!

Lingcod Fillets over a mushroom and almond risotto, baked parmesean rosemary garlic potatoes with cherry tomatoes, steamed broccolini and baby carrots and a fresh garden herbed spicy yogurt puree. Bon Appetite!   

RISOTTO INGREDIENTS:
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (8oz) container mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
2/3 cup chopped almonds
2 cups brown rice
1 cup dry white wine
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
3/4 cup good quality parmesan cheese, grated
INSTRUCTIONS
In a saucepan, keep broth warm on low heat.
In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Sautee until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add rice, salt and pepper and stir to toast rice a bit. Add wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan by scraping the browned bits with a spoon.
Turn heat down to medium low and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add broth, a half cup at a time, stirring until liquid is just absorbed each time. Keep adding liquid and stirring until rice is fully cooked and creamy. It will take about 45 minutes to an hour.
Once rice is fully cooked, stir in grated cheese and almonds.
Serve hot.

POTATOES
INGREDIENTS
Fingerling potatoes cut longways into fourths
Cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 White Onion chopped in large pieces
Fresh chopped rosemary, thyme and garlic
Italian Herbs
Olive Oil
Shaved Parmesan
INSTRUCTIONS
In large bowl, mix everything together. Add to baking tray and spread out. Bake at 400 degrees until potatoes are cooked (about 45-55min), take out, cover in freshly shaved Parmesan cheese and put back in for 3 minutes until cheese is melted.

HERB PUREE
In a decent blender, add plain greek yogurt, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, spinach, juice of 1 lemon, salt, pepper, chili powder and a lot of Italian parsley. Blend until smooth and taste to make sure it has the flavor profile you're looking for. I like mine citrusy, salty and fresh.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:05:43 PM by TheKeeneroo »
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
 :smt007 :smt007

I'll Take a Double Portion!!!
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
coming right up!  :smt044
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Yummy!  :smt007  Any left over?  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
I wish! The meat is gone but there is some risotto left!

PS I added the recipe in the original post now.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for the recipe Eric.  Will give it a try next time.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Sounds super yummy. If you have the time next time, make a quick stock out of the head/carcass of the ling to use to make the risotto. It brings all the flavors together.

Cheers,
Brad

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Sounds super yummy. If you have the time next time, make a quick stock out of the head/carcass of the ling to use to make the risotto. It brings all the flavors together.

Cheers,
Brad

EXCELLENT IDEA!!!! Unfortunately this time around I barely had time to fillet the fish. Between family in town, working all day, newborn baby... spare time isn't very abundant. Next time though. That sounds great!

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Good stuff!  "We'd love some fresh fish when we visit."  "Ok, I'll just go get some in the ocean, be right back...keep an eye on the baby, I'll be back in 30"... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Lir

Cheers,
Brad

That's actually a great idea for any fish stock , even saved the water when boiling crabs .

My Maternal side are all fishermen from northern Italy some of my family settle in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties , my grandparents were straight off the boat , barely spoke English .

Anyway we grew up making stock from most everything , adds so much depth and flavors to many dishes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:40:08 AM by Spiffy O'Neil »

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric

Cheers,
Brad

That's actually a great idea for any fish stock , even saved the water when boiling crabs .

My Maternal side are all fishermen from northern Italy some of my family settle in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties , my grandparents were straight off the boat , barely spoke English .

Anyway we grew up making stock from most everything , adds so much depth and flavors to many dishes.

I'm seriously craving trying this. Can't wait! Do you have any recipe/instructions you can send me so I can try it with ling/RF?

Good stuff!  "We'd love some fresh fish when we visit."  "Ok, I'll just go get some in the ocean, be right back...keep an eye on the baby, I'll be back in 30"... :smt006

haha more like be back in 90 but basically! I'm all for family visits! Where's my extended family at?!?

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Lir

Basically you do a mirepoix or in Italian a soffritto, carrots celery onions ,olive oil or sometimes my Nonni and Mom would use butter which is sort of a Northern Italian thing instead of the oil.

Some people vary the ratio on the veggies depending on their tastes and garlic but not too much ...hint Italians tend not to use too much garlic as believed that’s more of a American-Italian thing

Sauté till tender ,sometimes she would add Italian parsley , a little white wine ,by a little i mean ,I’d see them use anywhere from a cup to a whole bottle lol

Slow simmer ,not boil  add water as needed and taste as you go.

You can make it as concentrated as you like

Sometimes they would add tomato paste, sometimes crushed tomatoes ,sometimes not either

They would simmer till the parts literally fall apart, cool a little and strain ,sometimes in cheese clothe just for the liquid, sometimes just a colander and pick the pieces out and add to the stock.

They would use the stock for Ciopinno,bouillabaisse, clams ,mussels ,fish stew  and who knows what else

Even saw my mom finish off pasta that’s al dente in a pan with it lol

I use it for clams and mussels and Ciopinno myself

Hope that helps

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Basically you do a mirepoix or in Italian a soffritto, carrots celery onions ,olive oil or sometimes my Nonni and Mom would use butter which is sort of a Northern Italian thing instead of the oil.

Some people vary the ratio on the veggies depending on their tastes and garlic but not too much ...hint Italians tend not to use too much garlic as believed that’s more of a American-Italian thing

Sauté till tender ,sometimes she would add Italian parsley , a little white wine ,by a little i mean ,I’d see them use anywhere from a cup to a whole bottle lol

Slow simmer ,not boil  add water as needed and taste as you go.

You can make it as concentrated as you like

Sometimes they would add tomato paste, sometimes crushed tomatoes ,sometimes not either

They would simmer till the parts literally fall apart, cool a little and strain ,sometimes in cheese clothe just for the liquid, sometimes just a colander and pick the pieces out and add to the stock.

They would use the stock for Ciopinno,bouillabaisse, clams ,mussels ,fish stew  and who knows what else

Even saw my mom finish off pasta that’s al dente in a pan with it lol

I use it for clams and mussels and Ciopinno myself

Hope that helps

Thank you for that! I do love a good Ciopinno! I'll definitely keep this in my back pocket and use it in future recipes.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

anything