Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:32:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fly fish for striped bass  (Read 4762 times)

mendolunker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I just recently moved to Vallejo and have been trying to hook into the striped bass.  I have managed to catch a few on swim baits, but my goal has been to get the fly action dialed in.  I have only tried the Napa river so far, any tips trips or ideas are welcome!
Team Fishizzle: 3rd place Rockfish Wars 2017

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
There are a lot of guys here who consistently get Striped bass on the flyrod. I wish to do so someday but a rarely flyfish except for Steelhead. I am sure ScottV and Golfish will chime in with there awesome words of wisdom. Listen to these guys they are gurus. :smt001

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Clouser minnows are the ticket.  They take a little practice, they are like bullets coming back at you on the back cast so wind is crucial to pay attention to. I love having a rod ready if I come up on a boil. Really the only time I fly fish for stripers.

I tie my own flies, and tie downsized versions of clouser minnows, I love catching crappie on them. Catch bass, small stripers, red ears, and catfish on them.

I am starting to get back into it, too much fun.

Talk to the guys mentioned, there are a few more, but fly guys are unique, and love to talk fly fishing. Just gotta get the convo started!
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Pm Elusive.  He always hit somewhere north of Kennedy park around this time of the year.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I usually launch kennedy but there is a launch by the yacht club too. I mostly fish between 121 and 12 bridges. Horseshoe bend slough is often full of schoolie sized stripers with an occasional double digit.

If it's too muddy it doesn't fly fish well. I like the outgoing tide and fish all the little places the sloughs drain back into. Watch the FF, you could go over a school of big stripers at anytime/anywhere in the river. Check out the FF in the picture.

Usually throw my medium to larger delta sized flies there, can't go wrong with chart over white. T14 in the main river, Type III  or sometimes int. sink in the sloughs gets it done...just how I do it, there are lots of other ways...

Heard there was going to be some dredging so it might mess the fishing up for a while. ---good luck!
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
The fish finder screen in the pic is da' bomb!
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I fish the Napa river all the time if you want to go out. Mostly using casting gear but I have a 9wt striper rod I want to break in

mendolunker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I just tried the Napa river last week (launching out of Kennedy park) and it was fairly muddy as mentioned.  I only used casting gear that day and did not have much for luck... looks like I better get a fish finder!  Next time I go out I will use some minnow type deals I will try back in the sloughs (I tie my own flies too).  Hit me up next time you go out Lineside!

mendolunker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I mostly fish between 121 and 12 bridges. Horseshoe bend slough is often full of schoolie sized stripers with an occasional double digit.

I am browsing the satellite map of the area and am unsure of what bridge would be considered the "121" bridge (I am guessing it is the same as W. Imola ave...).  Last time I went out I petaled south of the 12 bridge and then hit horseshoe on the way back (incoming/high tide).  I will have to give horseshoe another shot on the outgoing tide, I recently upgraded to a revolution 11 and that quelled my worries of traveling against the current.  I also only have a floating line currently so I will order a sinker to put on my extra spool.  Thanks again!

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008

I am browsing the satellite map of the area and am unsure of what bridge would be considered the "121" bridge (I am guessing it is the same as W. Imola ave...).

correct. right below that bridge along the back of the condos is a good deep spot. but yeah, get a sinking line or get a chunk of T material to make a shooting head to loop to your choice of running line. steelhead is my priority fall/winter, i usually go out there in the spring.
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Hit the tules on both sides of the river right above the Imola Bridge as well. The west bank at high tide is a popular spot for fly guys. That's going to be one of the dredge locations in a few weeks so hit it before all hell breaks loose.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

mendolunker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Right on guys, I think I will give it a try on tomorrow morning's outgoing tide.  I purchased my steel head card at the the beginning of the year but have not given it a go... feel free to pm me for one of those adventures.  Since moving here fishing is about all I have been doing other than job searching.

pindo124

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
I've been fishing for stripers with a fly rod for ~20 yrs. now. And here's the best piece of advice I can give anyone at this point: Buy & read (& reread as often as desired) Mike Costello's book "Fly Fishing the California Delta." That's really all you need to know! It's all in there!

And as a bonus, he gives some great info on catching largemouth on the fly as well.
Bill

albiec22

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Better yet, book a trip with Mike. It's well worthwhile. Not only will you learn the basics of striper flyfishing, you'll also get a boost in terms of casting, how to position yourself for the best cast, and fly line management.

An easy way to learn is to flyfish San Luis Forebay, as the stripers are more concentrated. It's my version of "bluegill fishing for beginners".....Right now, the stripers are transitioning as the lake turns over. There are a lot of diaper stripers in the 20" class....perfect for practicing!

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Better yet, book a trip with Mike. It's well worthwhile. Not only will you learn the basics of striper flyfishing, you'll also get a boost in terms of casting, how to position yourself for the best cast, and fly line management.

An easy way to learn is to flyfish San Luis Forebay, as the stripers are more concentrated. It's my version of "bluegill fishing for beginners".....Right now, the stripers are transitioning as the lake turns over. There are a lot of diaper stripers in the 20" class....perfect for practicing!
Any advice for where to launch at the Forebay and flys... Is it Clousers on a sink tip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anything