Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:33:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Raymarine Dragonfly Thru Scupper Transducer Mount on a Native Slayer Propel 13  (Read 7354 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
First off, this method is not specifically limited to the Slayer - but the Slayer has very large scupper holes that easily accommodate the 1.5" tubing.  Other kayaks may need 1 1/4" tubing, so the transducer doesn't fit quite as well and may need some more cutting.  The nice thing is that the wiring cables fit perfectly within the 1.5" tubing for my dragonfly.

Things you will need:
1.  1 1/2" threaded plumbing tube with locknuts - I picked the double sided, 16" tubing since it can be cut in half and still be 8".  If you screw up the first time or want to set this up on a different kayak or for a different transducer, then you have the other side to play with - $4 at Lowes

2.  1 1/2" shallow flange - you may get away without needing this if you have smaller scupper holes, but it worked great with my Slayer.  Water can still drain out of the scuppers - I got a lot of spray over the side of my Slayer fishing in the wind at berryessa but the scuppers drained just fine. $3 at Lowes

3.  Some sort of nut and bolt to connect your transducer to the tubing.  I believe I went with 1/4-20 in 1 1/4" size stainless with a lock nut.  1.5 length might be better and 10-24 bolts could work too, but you want to make sure you tighten the transducer enough that it doesn't move around.
4.  Optional - Grommet to clean up the wiring - see last pic.  $2 at Lowes.  Multiple ways of doing this so this is up to you.

That's it - that's all you need - nice right?

Steps
1. Cut the Extension in half, set one aside.

2. Thread on the nut onto one side and the place the flange and the assembly through a scupper hole.

3.  Measure and cut to length.  I've used different methods of cutting and because of the flex of the plumbing tube I think a dremel actually works better than a pipe cutter.  There's a little bit of play in the cutting since you're threaded on top and it depends on how you place your transducer into the bottom of the tubing (see next step)
4.  Place transducer into bottom of tubing and drill a hole to fit your bolt.  Cut a small slice up the side to route your transducer wiring if necessary - It was necessary on the dragonfly transducer due to placement of the cable versus the mounting location.   Mount bolt and tighten, but not too crazy. 

5. Take the transducer assembly and wiring and route back up through the kayak.  On top side of scupper hole route through flange and locknut.  tighten but don't overdo it.  you could probably put some sort of foam or rubber gasket under the flange but I didn't do it.  Optional step - computer wiring grommet to make things look cleaner.

6. Check placement underneath kayak to make sure transducer sits flush.  I originally placed the transducer in the front hatch scupper.  But due to the size of the dragonfly transducer, it doesn't fit perfectly in the front scupper of the Slayer.  It worked but I decided to move it to the rear right scupper, where it fits pretty well and is better protected by the hull. I actually prefer rear transducer placements since they tend to sit a little lower in the water there and when trolling with downriggers you can see what's behind you.  But you can place them in any scupper that you like for your fishing style.  I may end up moving mine to the front right scupper hole of my slayer but we'll see how things go.

Bottom view of transducer fit through front scupper hole of Slayer-
Bottom view of transducer fit through rear right scupper of Slayer-

Side profile view of slayer, showing that the transducer is hidden within the tunnel hull and does not sit below the keel -

Like I said, this is a bespoke fit for my Slayer Propel 13 and my Raymarine Dragonfly, but it should work with slight modifications for any kayak and transducer.  Due to limitations in the size of plumbing pipe, you can only do this if your scuppers can fit 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" tubing.  PVC sprinkler nipples would work as well for smaller sizes, but I was unable to find locknuts to fit those at your normal big box hardware store.

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Nice and clean Ben!

Ya I did something similar on the Predator, I even made a custom Stainless steel FF mount for the Humminbird.
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

bloodbath

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Nice work Ben!
2011 Albion Open 1st place
2014 Lowrance Rockfish Classic 1st place
Kayaks are cool!

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Awesome Ben!  I wish I could do that to my Revo.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Looks Good!

Thanks for sharing!

Bill :smt006

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Solid work there big guy.  You going to be using the Slayer at GS8?

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Solid work there big guy.  You going to be using the Slayer at GS8?
Yes I will be using it.  Time for a big water test.  Probably stay out of the kelp line though.

anything