Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Catching Big Fish on the Raptor  (Read 7913 times)

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006

Nice catch, but I agree with others...  Ultimate big fish kayak..  Really?

I like the Raptor and the people that design and build them are first class people which I deeply respect. I don't think making unsubstantiated grandiose claims reflects well on the product. Big fish are caught on every brand of kayak. If you are talking about the most documented catches of big fish on a kayak, then you would be talking Ocean Kayak or Hobie. If you exclude Hobie as not a true kayak, then you would left with OK. If you are talking most documented big game kills from a single kayak design concept, it would be the OK Prowler/Trident, hands down. You have a right to your opinion of course, but if the intent was to promote the product to increase sales, I think you will turn off more people than you will turn on. Just my 2 cents. Anyway, NICE FISH!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:46:18 PM by Great Bass 2 »
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I agree that the Raptor is a great kayak made by great people with some well thought out features.  As GB2 sait so nicely, to tout it is the "ultimate big fish kayak" is a bit far reached.  Nice kayak never the less and great fish!

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
    Hey guys,,,    I actually just read this thread for the first time, so let me  clarify things a bit.     I think it's easy to mistake the implied intent of written words.     This wasn't meant to be "advertisement".. (obviously not by me).   I saw the video on YouTube,,, I didn't realize it was also posted this on NCKA.     I've never once attempted to advertise my kayaks on this site.  I'd prefer to just be one of the members and enjoy the good times I've had making friends here.   Yeah,,, sure I'd like to introduce my kayak to more NCKA'ers,,, but that will just have to develop over time.
     Everyone knows  that what platform you fish from,, or what rod is in your hand ,,, isn't going to make you catch more fish.      For those that don't  understand this,,,  you should buy a Raptor and catch bigger fish !!!!    :smt044 :smt044 :smt044       

Chris ( Jurassic ) is a hell of a fisherman and spearo.    He catches more fish in a weekend, than I do in a year.  I have a great deal of respect for his skills.     We may see more of him on a upcoming television show in the near future... He'd be on the East Coast right now, except for Sandy.       Visit his website,  http://www.jurassicsportfishing.com    I recently had the chance to  take our kayaks  on a 3 day camping trip to Santa Rosa Island with a small group of his friends.     Video is coming,,,

I'm sure the intent was simply to show you CAN  land a  big fish in the Sit-In Raptor... that was all.   Plus he was stoked to catch a 47 lb  WSB  !!!

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Thanks for being a wonderful supporter of the NCKA!  You do have one heck of a kayak!!!!  A good fisherman could catch fish with a handline & a bathtub if so inclined.  If your going to fish, you might as well do it in style!!!!   :smt006

~Bill

JurassicFish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
that spot is just outside goleta
Santa Cruz Kayaks pro staff

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I did notice one thing. A lot of water comes over the bow, on the launch through surf. And the surf didn't look very big. Other than that is looks very stable. It would make a nice peddle unit. 
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

JurassicFish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

JurassicFish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Great bass 2
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings you catch some pretty big fish too......
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:46:35 PM by JurassicFish »

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
JurassicFish,

Please see this thread regarding NCKA guidelines when it comes product sponsorship and representation ... http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=31523.0

I see you list Santa Cruz Kayaks as a sponsor on your website.  You need to disclose that in your Signature.  Thanks.

-Allen

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Great bass 2
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings you catch some pretty big fish too...... I've fished off other kayaks not to talk trash about any other product out there but the platform with the SCK raptor is just un-comparable to when it comes to stability.... and when your catching 50+ lb fish and not even a slight chance of flipping over or losing your balance is a win/win  its a great kayak all around... I laugh at my friends w/ there 2k$ kayaks when they flip over in the middle of the ocean and lose priceless gear.. I could stand up and take a piss without worrying about strapping down everything on the yak or going for swim..i could just kick back drink a beer and reel... no sweat :)

Wanna race?
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

fuzz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Great bass 2
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings you catch some pretty big fish too...... I've fished off other kayaks not to talk trash about any other product out there but the platform with the SCK raptor is just un-comparable to when it comes to stability.... and when your catching 50+ lb fish and not even a slight chance of flipping over or losing your balance is a win/win  its a great kayak all around... I laugh at my friends w/ there 2k$ kayaks when they flip over in the middle of the ocean and lose priceless gear.. I could stand up and take a piss without worrying about strapping down everything on the yak or going for swim..i could just kick back drink a beer and reel... no sweat :)

Wanna race?

:smt005

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Wanna race?

Dude    pick on someone your own age  :smt003...  :smt044 :smt044    Only next time we race, paddle a boat thats in the same category as mine.   A Trident 13,,, or  whatever.         A  16' Scupper Pro @26 inches wide against a  wider 13 footer,,,    is  sort of  like a  Ferrari against a Chevy Malibu.   Predictable outcome.     
           10 - 1 odds  Jurassic Fish wins.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
The Raptor is indeed a great design and the owner/designer is a very talented individual; and a good friend.

However: every kayak has it's advantages and disadvantages; what you gain in stability, you trade off on speed and manueverability.  The Raptor is indeed a very stabile platform, but it's not the only one on the market that is capable of catching big game; like with any type of equipment, it  has to do with the user and their experience.

This I speak from experience; as a former owner of the Raptor, Trident T13 and the owner of a Revo.

And Jim, I am still waiting for my RED Raptor II (you see I still have my avatar up as a reminder).

And Craig, no I do not want to race you. :smt044

And GB2, no I do not want to fish against you :smt044

And Polepole: Disclosure - formerly Sponsored by SCK  :smt003
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007

Wanna race?

Dude    pick on someone your own age  :smt003...  :smt044 :smt044    Only next time we race, paddle a boat thats in the same category as mine.   A Trident 13,,, or  whatever.         A  16' Scupper Pro @26 inches wide against a  wider 13 footer,,,    is  sort of  like a  Ferrari against a Chevy Malibu.   Predictable outcome.     
           10 - 1 odds  Jurassic Fish wins.

Ahem, now Jimmy as I recall, you are the one that said it could beat a scupper pro. heheheh :smt003

Ok Ill race my new/old cherry P15
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

anything