Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:50:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wind data sources  (Read 3535 times)

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Howdy guys...I found some new links for coastal wind data in some of the areas we fish. You may be familiar with www.wunderground.com . On their pages they have links for weather buffs to put links to their own personal weather stations. Under "Current conditions"  you will see another link labeled 'personal weather station.' If you click that it will bring up other personal weather stations in the area. There are some personal weather stations that should prove useful for us next salmon season like Muir beach (with surf cam!) and Pacifica. Its nice to know before you go..especiall over the Gate. We'll have to see how accurate they are come spring and the north westerlies. Hopefully these weather buffs have their instruments set up to read clean wind... and not eddying off of their chimmineys.  

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=stinson+beach%2Cca#PWS

I surf a lot too so Im always looking for real time wind gauges on the coast...postem' if you know any.

There is also another one I forgot to mention at the Bodega Bay Marine lab.....don't have the link at the moment but you can search it.

jeff

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
I subscribe to

http://www.iwindsurf.com

I got fed up with the NWS marine forecasts being inaccurate.  

Iwindsurf.com seems to be the most accurate wind forecasting I've been able to find yet.  They update their forecasts a few times per day.

I figure for the nominal subscription fee, if it saves me one or two trips to the Bay or out to the coast, it's pretty much paid for itself.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
My personal favorite source for local wind info is....

http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/wind/windbin.cgi

I think it's similar to iwindsurf.com without the fees.  Click on any area of the map to get detailed wind speed and direction.

-Chuck
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yes..noaa is wrong frequently....especially around the bay which has some pretty complicated weather dynamics. Their buoys are also to far out at sea to get good accurate coastal wind data also. They're really only good for swell assessment..speaking of which there is a honker west swell peaking friday...mavericks should be putting on quite a show as this is the first big swell with good wind conditions this year.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Jeff - let me know when Mavericks is going off - I would like to paddle out there and see the big waves up close (at a safe distance of course)

Bill.....I NEED MY EMOTIOCONS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
if the winds are east tomorrow, which they should be, it should be a circus out there. its probably easier to walk up to the bluffs to watch- just head toward the radar dish. get there earlier though. after about 12 the sun glares off of the water right where the wave is. you\'ll have to park in town probably too. its not a bad idea to bring a bike.

anything