Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:50:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Cobra MR HH500 VHF with bluetooth  (Read 1351 times)

Jalseng

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Wanted to get a vhf and cam across this with the Bluetooth feature that be nice to talk without taking the phone out of dry box. Any one used this before? its currently price less than $130 on amazon or should I grab a different one?

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
So you keep the VHF in the drybox & use some sort of wireless mic with it?

Jalseng

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Nope it bluetooth to your phone like a car and u can pick up phone call with it

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I've been eyeing that VHF for a while now...because it would be awesome if I could leave my phone inside a drybox in the hull and answer calls on my VHF! Otherwise, I just leave my phone inside the hull and ignore my phone until I'm done fishing.
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-MRHH500FLTBT-Bluetooth-Technology-Rewind-Say-Again/dp/B00AJVMW8S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430932542&sr=1-1&keywords=bluetooth+vhf

The only thing holding me back is the fact that I had less-than-stellar experience w/Cobra electronics...they don't have the best reputation. So I'm hoping Standard Horizon or Icom starts making a similar radio. SH used to make one called the HX760S that looked great but it looks like they stopped making them?
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile

Pat took my thoughts!

I love the idea, but have some trepidation about Cobra as a company.  I worked in the marine industry for 15+ years as a marine retail manager and I can say that Cobra, as a brand, has had less than stellar results.  I would hope that they are working to change this & possibly have, but I do know that, like others, manufacturers like Standard Horizon & Icom have always been good performing brands.

Bill

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I have this vhf. I love the Bluetooth calls + being able to play music off your phone. The reception on the vhf side sucks. I was next to a person with a standard horizon and they picked up everything. I always have to ask them what the other person said on the other end. This is my second cobra vhf and I think my last.

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
If it's a good idea, then I'm sure we will see S.H & Icom come out with their own version if they haven't already.

Jalseng

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Hmm I would like something with better vhf reception for safety concerns. I might just grab some decent walkie talkie for me and my buddies for the time being until I figure out what I need. Thanks guys for the response.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Why not just get a cheap-o bluetooth headset?  But I would certainly get a decent waterproof VHF.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
VHF 1st & other toys that work with it 2nd.

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Hmm I would like something with better vhf reception for safety concerns. I might just grab some decent walkie talkie for me and my buddies for the time being until I figure out what I need. Thanks guys for the response.
Don't get walkie-talkies.  Yes, you can reach each other over short distances BUT you cannot reach any help/authorities on a WT if something bad happens.  Go right for the VHF if you can do so.  You can get into a good S.H. or Icom for $150.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Remember that regular walkie talkies are not the same frequency as VHF radios. So you will only be able to speak with each other with walkie talkies...and won't hear any VHF transmissions. If you're gonna start out w/a cheapy VHF for you & friend, then look into the two-packs like this: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Standard-Horizon-HX100-Floating-Handheld-VHF-Radio-Two-Pack&i=709935&r=view

I bought a two-pack similar to this Cobra set and it was a good deal considering they lasted 5+ years, but they were only 2.5watts so reception kinda sucked unless the other person was in my line of sight: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Cobra-MR-HH125-Handheld-VHF-Radio-Value-Pack&i=611322&r=view
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Jalseng

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I plan to fish the port of sac and a few local lakes in the sacramento region sho I figure a walkie talkie would be fine but I would really like a vhf for when I'm ready for btb and tournaments held by ncka

wormguy

• The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
There is no security on a phone call on vhf. Anybody on that frequency that's nearby can listen. .fishcomb said this but I thought it worth repeating
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Revolution 11

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
There is no security on a phone call on vhf. Anybody on that frequency that's nearby can listen. .fishcomb said this but I thought it worth repeating
Its secure. The phone call isn't going through vhf; its going through Bluetooth.

anything