Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:26:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Mountain Lion Safety  (Read 1734 times)

Tinker

I can't say about people and politics, but I've been charged, twice, by moose up in Tuolumne Meadows.  Those little devils are surprisingly fast, and having one heading right at you will definitely make your hair curl.

borntoscout

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
In searching for an answer to my own question I came across this interesting video.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/science/100000000812441/stephen-herrero-on-black-bear-attacks.html

It pegs the number of fatal black bear attacks at two per year. Fatal cougar attacks are may be a quarter or half as numerous. When you consider that cougars are a lot less numerous than black bears that suggests the cougar is the more dangerous critter.   

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
People and politics will get ya a lot faster than any wild animal.
I carry a gun, all the time works against 2 of the 3  :smt002

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
In searching for an answer to my own question I came across this interesting video.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/science/100000000812441/stephen-herrero-on-black-bear-attacks.html

It pegs the number of fatal black bear attacks at two per year. Fatal cougar attacks are may be a quarter or half as numerous. When you consider that cougars are a lot less numerous than black bears that suggests the cougar is the more dangerous critter.
Way more people are killed every year by deer than bears (all species), wolves, cougars, coyotes combined.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

wiscoarborist

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I'm not from your area and am here mostly for the kayak info....We've got occasional cougar sightings and tons of black bears - mostly "up nort" with rare sightings within 60 miles of my home.

BUT...In my mind I'm making comparisons with what folks always tell me about how "dangerous" icefishing is....I'm absolutely convinced that far more icefishermen die in vehicle accidents driving to and from the lake than by falling thru the ice.

I'm guessing that holds true for those hiking/hunting/fishing,etc in bear/mountain lion country.

The perception of many people is that ice fishing itself is a risky,foolhardy and unnecessary sport. That "government" should tell us when it's "safe" to go out on the ice ( never)...and the people criticizing the sport think it's somehow "their business" because tax dollars are used for rescues and body recoveries....Think that's a peeve of mine?

I'm used to camping in black bear country. I consider them to be nothing more than really big,really strong raccoons.

I pick morel mushrooms....Rules for springtime: don't go near bear cubs,don't look for mushrooms near occupied playgrounds - both for the same exact reason. Mama bear don't like it.

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I miss ice fishing so badly. Only gone a handful of times while living here in California. The last time my daughter fell thru the ice near shore where it was thin. Luckily we were on our way out and got her in the truck where she could take off the wet clothes, put dry sweat pants on and warm up. We hadn't gone since. I do love ice fishing though.
You are totally right, way more people die and get injured in transit to and from than going in thru the ice.
It is interesting the perceived danger by most people for various things we do.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

borntoscout

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015

[/quote]
Way more people are killed every year by deer than bears (all species), wolves, cougars, coyotes combined.
[/quote
I am a lot more nervous about m/c ing a twisty high way at twilight than taking a solo stroll through the woods. Before I got to be so damn old I used to love ab diving. in the seventies I used to go with a group that would boat across Tomales Bay, hike over the point and dive near bird rock. Eventually I came to believe that patch of ocean was more dangerous than others and I quit going there but continued to dive else where. Was this rational? probably not, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
BUT...In my mind I'm making comparisons with what folks always tell me about how "dangerous" icefishing is....I'm absolutely convinced that far more icefishermen die in vehicle accidents driving to and from the lake than by falling thru the ice.

Did a little ice fished when I lived in the midwest, and knew a bunch of Minnesotans who were serious about it. Would love to do that again, but can't remember the last time I saw ice outside of freezer or cooler...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

lightfoot

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I've seen a few big cats, ran into a lot of bears and was charged by one sow with a cub, had a doe in a game pen go after me, unintentionally went swimming in the ocean with my kayak and have also fallen through the ice while fishing.  I drive like a little old lady and really don't think I should buy a bike anytime soon.

NowhereMan, as a future Michigander I'm curious how you hooked up with this site.
Kraken 13.5 on the Great lakes.

NotaSeal

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I read somewhere that if a mountain lion shows no fear and stalks you, you should make a loud noise and throw something at them. This actually worked for me one time while I was deer hunting in California.
"Look for it in yourself - it's there, and it has many forms.  "It" is a way to live that benefits you by doing your best to do the right thing by others." LoletaEric

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Show some confidence.

Come and get me mother father  :smt044