Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Lost Hunter Education Certificate  (Read 531 times)

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
April 12, 2018

Question: I passed my hunter safety course about 40 years ago but have lost the paperwork. If I wanted to get a hunting license now, how would I get a new copy of my “certification” or whatever it’s called? Does the state have records that far back? (Keith Hamm)

Answer: As per Fish and Game Code, section 3050, you can obtain a new California hunting license if you have proof of having held a hunting license in California in a prior year, or a current or recent (no more than two years old) hunting license from another state or province. If you’ve never had a hunting license before, then you need to present proof of having passed a hunter education certificate from California or another state or province.

Prior to 1989, Hunter Education Instructors maintained student records themselves. Therefore, CDFW does not have reliable records for this period. You may try contacting the original instructor, club or organization where the course was taught to obtain a duplicate. If you are unable to obtain a duplicate certificate through these means, and you’ve never held a license, you will need to repeat the course. The requirement of hunter education is not exclusive to California, many states have this same requirement for obtaining a hunting license, and most of the courses are universally accepted.

If you find yourself having to repeat the course, we encourage you to go into it with an open mind. The courses are more comprehensive than ever and even seasoned hunters who find themselves having to repeat the course for one reason or another reported learning many new things. This would also be a great opportunity to bring along your friend or family member who is interested in hunting but may be apprehensive about taking the course. Many wildlife officers and even hunter education instructors have taken the course multiple times and inevitably, they report learning something new every time.

CDFW has a Frequently Asked Questions page at https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunter-Education/FAQ#29812903-how-do-i-replace-a-lost-certificate that covers a lot of information about hunter education.

anything