Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:54:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 12:02:48 PM]

[Today at 11:06:38 AM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Imagine Surf SUP  (Read 15667 times)

prodigal

Since the performance of products like kayaks, paddles, SUPs, ect. is greatly influenced by the skills of the rider, it seems appropriate to know a little about the dude writing a review.
 Im in my early 40s, 5' 11", 175#s, and of average athletic ability. Ive been paddling various plastic boats since 1988 and my chosen career field only requires that I work 7 days a month, allowing me alot of time on the water. I am an ABSOLUTE novice on a paddleboard but it should be noted that Ive been standing on SOTs for many years. Im just not great at it and have always struggled to fight a fish while standing.
My first exposure to the SUP was when Mooch brought one to BAM III and let me take his for a spin.
Since then I have only been on a traditional board a handfull of times, read some mags, watched the "ultimate guide" video, and I spend some time on the Indo Board.

The Speeder is produced by Imagine Surf that is owned by Corran Addison who I have been a long time fan of both his style and accomplishments.
http://www.imaginesurf.com/
I first spotted the Speeder in late 2010 in a Canoe&Kayak mag and I knew immediately that I had to have one.
This was to be my site fishing platform that I had tried to make my SOTs ,without much success, AND it came in SEAHAWK GREEN!
As the moths and mags went by, I couldnt help but notice that the speeder was evolving.

I finally spotted the Speeder on the Playak site and it confirmed that this was the board for me.

There were some delays and the Speeder continued to mutate as the months went by.
When the Speeder finally arrived we learned that it was well worth the wait and that Imagine had done alot of things very right.

The first and most obvious change was the nose of the board. The nose slices through chop, increasing stability, and helps the tracking of the board. There is also 0 hull slap.

The hatches are very similiar to the WS hatches. We have found very little water in the board even after trips where the hatch was completely submerged.

The secondary hatch on the deck is not as waterproof. In fact it completely fills up, but it does hold a small pelican box that will displace the water nicely.

The seat was the other unexpected surprise and we have found that it is very nice on a day trip to take a little time off your feet. The "boat" paddles well and with legs straps it can be rolled without much difficulty.

Now I need Werner to create a paddle that converts from kayak paddle to SUP paddle.

The skegs attach and remove easily and I found out on the SanJoaquin river that they are made of very sturdy stock.

I really like the cut away drain plug.

The only rigging that Ive done is a flush mount Scotty holder for either a rod or a vanity mount.
I doubt that I will add much more to keep the board light and nimble.

Ive made my comparisons to a traditional board from time on a 10' 4" classic from Focus Surf.
http://www.focus-surfboards.com/

My first attempt to test the Speeder did not last long, but I found it to be far more stable than the traditional board. I found it very forgiving with my lack of any real skills and I was able to try things on the Speeder that would have sent me swimming on the classic SUP. I wasnt able to get much further than that since the RedHead and Bijou wanted to try it out. Once they got on the board I didnt get to do anymore "testing" for a few trips.

They found the deck to be very comfortable and could even be called "lounge like".
The Speeder is a perfect day tripper.

After distracting her with the traditional SUP, Ive been able to get to work and learn how to transfer my paddling skills to the board. I have ALOT to learn but Im having an absolute blast!

The Speeder is 11' X 30" X 8" and weighs in at 64#s.

Fishing from it is a dream as I found out recently on the SJR.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,33196.0.html

We learned on this trip that theKraken (6'4" 250#s) was almost too much for this low volumn platform.

The "Wizard" from Imagine would probably be the better board for the XXL paddlers.

Both of these boards are available at Pacific Outfitters.
http://www.pacificoutfitters.com/

Im not affiliated with any of the above mentioned companies. Just the dude with alot of time in the water on plastic boats.
Ill continue this review as I get more time and adventures but as of now Im shaking the pom poms for Imagine Surf and everyone involved in making this board happen.
 :spiderman:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:07:46 PM by HydroSpider »

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for a good read and a fine review terry.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
that is a slick looking little craft. As my significant other has been pulled to the SUP side I'll probably be "in the market, as it were" soon. I like the idea of a small yak/sup hybrid, I just haven't seen one built well. This looks pretty cool.
Thanks for the review!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Waiting for Mooch to give the  :smt007

Thx for the eval

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Terry,

Gonna have to hit lake mendo soon for a fish n' chill. Will bring my SUP with me. Let's hook up there and compare notes. I'll be pimping my SUP with a water proof deck bag and some bunjee cords to secure it with.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Crossfire-Sportmans-Deck-Bag?AdID=595--536&ctype=2&gclid=CMeb5trijKsCFUsaQgodfyAdwQ

On another note......

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/outside/ci_18344148
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:21:06 PM by Mooch »

prodigal

As my significant other has been pulled to the SUP side
welcome to the team.
The SUP world is doing some great marketing thats targeting the ladies.
Many of "her" friends are wanting to go and some are already looking for their own boards.
(camera is at the ready)

Mooch,
A Mendo adventure sounds great. I can use some coaching and a stand-up striper ride is something I need to experience.
and thanks for the other info. ill delve a bit deeper.

Im also hoping to get the board salty soon, so if youre interested in going for a surf test, let me know.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Very cool!!!!  I have been bit by the bug also but I'm leaning towards something along the lines of the Pau Hanna Big EZ softtop for a sit/stand fishing platform.  The paddle issue is a humdinger.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
HS, you make that thing look like a lot of fun  :smt002  Thanks for sharing your review  :smt006  Mooch got me to give it a shot recently and though I fell off like 20 times  :smt044 I thought it was a lot of fun! 

Haven't really spent much time looking at them, but was kind of interested in trying this one: http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/11/starboard-fisherman-adventure-sup.html Being as big as I am, haven't seen a lot of "good" looking choices.  But maybe the Wizzard would be a good one!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
both models are on sale $200 off at Pacific Outfitters. When they are gone they are gone!
Sponsored by: Pacific Outfitters, Native kayaks, Seeker rods. Seigler reels, b2 Squid, Promar. Stohlquist, Lingcod jigs.

prodigal

The paddle issue is a humdinger.
It was.
Imagine Surf is definitely one to watch.

prodigal

After some time on the water using "the rapier", I wanted to extend a big thanks to Dan at Headwaters in Lodi, for helping facilitate the deal. It is exactly what I have been interested in for some time now and I have little doubt that there will be more paddle makers producing this type of paddle in the near future.
While I am pleased with its performance and function, the name doesn't seem to fit.
I think I wouldve called it the "battle axe". Its big, powerful, a full pound heavier than my qb, and is multi purpose.
(the increased weight was expected and understandable).
The only real struggle that Ive had so far is that there is 0 feather when in the double blade mode.
I will adapt. I hope

One of the "issues" that I wasnt impressed with initially with the speeder, was that the secondary hatch didnt just leak, but seemed to allow water in freely. Now I embrace the little quirk and have found it to be a functioning bait tank.

Camera mounting for the self portraits is still a work in progress.

This will be my last entry. Project prodigal was to run for 1 year and then I would re-evaluate.
That year is up.
After the friendships made and adventures shared, all a direct result of being a member of the NCKA, I felt I should express my gratitude before signing off.
THANK YOU for the amazing education in angling and the incredible amount of inspiration absorbed from those who have contributed here, both past and present.
While I enjoyed many of the informative and entertaining threads, I have re-confirmed that I need to spend my time where there is a stronger focus on the topics, techniques, and gear that I find value in.  I apologize to those few who took interest in some of my projects that won’t be completed on this forum.

big hugs and god speed

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
That Speeder looks sweet but I'm looking for a hybrid with a little more capacity for overnighters. Just by looking at the Wizard it looks a little slow. Anyone have any info on the new Imagine models for 2012? I heard rumors of a 14 or 16ft hybrid? Picked up an Amundson TR 12'6" (wanted the Bark Exp. like Mooch but didn't want to fork out the $$$) a few months back and did some lake fishing on it and had a blast. Rigging is a pain so I'm seriously considering a hybrid or another SUP designed for fishing. I really like the plastic construction of the Imagine for toughness/durability.
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
This will be my last entry. Project prodigal was to run for 1 year and then I would re-evaluate.
That year is up.
After the friendships made and adventures shared, all a direct result of being a member of the NCKA, I felt I should express my gratitude before signing off.
THANK YOU for the amazing education in angling and the incredible amount of inspiration absorbed from those who have contributed here, both past and present.
While I enjoyed many of the informative and entertaining threads, I have re-confirmed that I need to spend my time where there is a stronger focus on the topics, techniques, and gear that I find value in.  I apologize to those few who took interest in some of my projects that won’t be completed on this forum.

big hugs and god speed

Too bad...  Oh wait? You came back?!  Why is that?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:21:13 PM by AlsHobieOutback »
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

anything