Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How's my shopping list  (Read 4360 times)

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Here:

didn't know where it was actually, given that it's a flatfish... now I know.  Cool.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
go with the absolute minimum, then add things as you go.  You might buy things that you don't end up using... like a lot of us who post things for sale in the Classified section of the forum...
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
go with the absolute minimum, then add things as you go.  You might buy things that you don't end up using... like a lot of us who post things for sale in the Classified section of the forum...

He can’t see the classifieds yet. Not enough posts. Need to get to 10.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Also you are required to carry a net of at least 18" diameter.

You can get a less expensive compass.  A suunto or ritchie should run about $40 for a decent one.  Carry a second orienteering compass as a backup.

A standard fox 40 whistle is fine.  $6 at walmart.

You need a net minimum 18" opening.

drysuit or wetsuit.

Sticky at the top of the safety forum:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=27534.0

Good call on the net didn't realize this was actually a requirement.

OOOhhhh.... vicarious shopping!
Radio seems fine.  I have the Standard Horizon HX300, which I really like. Don't have any experience with Uniden.
For PFD, I'd go with a brand for kayak anglers, which has more pockets.
Marine compass... I don't have.  My backup for the compass on my FF is a whistle/compass combo found online and at REI, much cheaper, smaller, kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Waterproof backpack... I don't use, I'm more of a minimalist though.  A small drybag may meet your needs... unless you got a lot of stuff you plan on taking in your yak.  I try to fit everything in my Plano box.
Fish bat?  Don't use one.  I use a knife to stab the ling's brain, cut gills, then clip... or buy a small metal pipe at HD for fraction of the price.
Downrigger? For ocean, I've used it for salmon fishing once, and nice to have for trolling lakes.  NOt a must, since there are alternatives (Deepdiver, banana weights, etc.)

Other than the net mentioned in one of the replies, you might want the following:
Hog trough (to measure minimum size on your ling or halibut, or any other fish except RF)
Plano box with rod holder attachment.
coffee sack (potato sack) to keep your catch covered from the sun
I'm sure a gameclip is on your list, and make sure to attach it to a clip, or it will disappear from your tankwell
Bunch of PVC and pool noodles for DIY projects

Happy shopping!

Thanks for good tips here, adding these.  I'm definitely the same way on being a minimalist.  Really would prefer not to have 'stuff' all over the place.  I'll scratch the compass and whistle i had I like you inexpensive combo idea.

The fishbat was reminiscent of experiences catching halibut.  can't imagine pulling one of these onboard a kayak fully kicking.

Those combo whistle compassas are not sufficiently accurate for our purposes. Get a good direct read that you can see while you paddle/pedal.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017

I along with guests can view the For Sale section.   Not sure if there's something more in the parent section but guess i'll know in a few posts

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile

on that note why's a game clip necessary?

kill fish, cut gill , throw in cooler bag?

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

Even after laying on the wood and cutting the gills, you still get zombie fish that thrash back to life later. I grab them with a lip gripper, bash their head against the side of the yak with a mallet, and put them on the game clip. Then snip the gills with trauma shears, and toss them into the back compartment of my T13. Dip the burlap sack in the ocean and cover them with it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Here:

Thanks! That's an awfully small target on a big thrashing fish. I will stick with liberal applications of the wood shampoo for now.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

:smt044
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Here's what I consider the best rig for the clip. The game clip tied to a stainless steel spring clip with a short rope and then clip that into a stainless steel padeye thats bolted on to the kayak with a small piece of backing to keep it from tearing out.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Why is the game clip necessary?  Because unless you plan on keeping your fish inside your hull, your fish will disappear from your tankwell from waves/surf, seals, or the zombie fish resuscitating/coming back to life and jumping back into the ocean. And if your gameclip isn't clipped onto your yak, it will sink to the bottom of the sea... it's probably happened to almost everybody, which is why most of us have bought more than one in our lifetime... lol.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I haven't carried a bonker for years, but if I did I would prefer wood to aluminium, because f=ma.

It is a good idea to dress for immersion.

The cheapest, standard, and arguable safer option is the 3mm farmer john wetsuit with a front zip.
https://www.nrs.com/product/17266.03/nrs-mens-30-farmer-john-wetsuit

Also 5 mm neoprene boots are a good idea.
https://www.nrs.com/product/30034.03/nrs-mens-paddle-wetshoe

1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Just a suggestion, 
Attach your game clip to the yak with a section of bungee instead of rope.
If your big Ling or Hali jumps ship before a good wooden shampoo .... you'll thank me.
;0)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Hobie Outback (dune)

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Even after laying on the wood and cutting the gills, you still get zombie fish that thrash back to life later. I grab them with a lip gripper, bash their head against the side of the yak with a mallet, and put them on the game clip. Then snip the gills with trauma shears, and toss them into the back compartment of my T13. Dip the burlap sack in the ocean and cover them with it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Here:

Thanks! That's an awfully small target on a big thrashing fish. I will stick with liberal applications of the wood shampoo for now.

You had me at wood shampoo loool.  note taken

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Here's what I consider the best rig for the clip. The game clip tied to a stainless steel spring clip with a short rope and then clip that into a stainless steel padeye thats bolted on to the kayak with a small piece of backing to keep it from tearing out.

Why is the game clip necessary?  Because unless you plan on keeping your fish inside your hull, your fish will disappear from your tankwell from waves/surf, seals, or the zombie fish resuscitating/coming back to life and jumping back into the ocean. And if your gameclip isn't clipped onto your yak, it will sink to the bottom of the sea... it's probably happened to almost everybody, which is why most of us have bought more than one in our lifetime... lol.

Hmm I see.  I think I was expecting to put em in there (the hull) or in bag shoved under the bungees in the rear on the yak.  I don't plan on hauling shopping baskets and my wheeleez in the back.  Will research this more thanks guys!!

I haven't carried a bonker for years, but if I did I would prefer wood to aluminium, because f=ma.

It is a good idea to dress for immersion.

The cheapest, standard, and arguable safer option is the 3mm farmer john wetsuit with a front zip.
https://www.nrs.com/product/17266.03/nrs-mens-30-farmer-john-wetsuit

Also 5 mm neoprene boots are a good idea.
https://www.nrs.com/product/30034.03/nrs-mens-paddle-wetshoe

thanks it may have slipped past everyone but in the first post but i do have a farmer john wetsuit and booties covered  :smt001

anything